Yellow Plum wine attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh...Cat Pi$$...I'd hate to make that mistake!!

What is the molecule or molecules for the CatPi$$ reaction? Does the fire or flame stop or start the chemical reaction?

Where is seth8530? I have read a few of his posts and would assume that he could answer the "Molecular Consequence" questions.

In God we trust....All Others must bring data...:)

I've had the oak for 10 years, and I'd assume that it was in service for 20 years prior to me "recycling" it.

Either way, if it's a risk....I should probably not head into that direction.

I'm still curious about the oak reasoning, though.

Thanks for the reply and the help.....

Just curious, which are you talking about having had in service for 10 years and then having prior use? How was it used?

When oak gets toasted it caramelizes sugars in the oak as well causes complex chemical reactions that give each kind of oak their unique characteristic flavours.

It should not be way too surprising that certain kinds of oak have some rather unpleasant unique flavours. Thus may be the case with american red oak ( can not speak with experience.

Untoasted lacks these caramelized sugars and also has its own profile that it will add to the wine. I can not promise that it would be pleasant. I find it safer to stick to documented wood sources. Also, not everything out in the wild that is wooden is safe to eat.

Of course, I enjoy helping when I can.

Ahh thanks for the info, my advice is use oak staves or chips that are commercially available from beer and winemaking sites.

So I went and checked on the Must and containers.

They are at 67 degrees and the fermentation has slowed, immensely. The fruit pieces aren't "churning" like they were earlier in the week. There are bubbles (slowly and very few) being released from the gross lees/sediment at the bottom, though.

It has been in the primary fermenter for 9 days and the SG reading, from earlier today, is 1.049

How do I know when the next step needs to happen? When the SG reading is 1.000 or lower or when I can see that there isn't any visible gases being released?

I guess that I am confused because the Must has been sitting for 9 days, the CO2 has slowed, and the SG reading seems to be "a long way, away."

Is this a good time to add Yeast Energizer? If not, when would be?

Thanks again for the help....

If you have something like fermaid O I would absolutely recommend adding some into the wine at this point. However, adding something like yeast energizer which is mainly DAP and vitamins may or may not help depending on what stage the yeasties are going through.

I would recommend adding some energizer if that is all you have, just dont over do it. You do not want to leave too much left over for other things to eat.

Latest posts

Back