Plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I planted a plum tree to fertilize my Black Ice plum tree, and never expected this. Last year there were maybe a dozen plums, this year hundreds. I forgot the name of the plum but it tastes kinda like bubble gum. If they ripen I’ll make a sweet wine to emphasize the bubble gum flavor. I think I should have thinned the plums earlier.IMG_3058.jpeg

I planted a pear tree 15 years ago, never got a pear. My neighbor recently planted some trees, a pear was one of them. This year I have at least a dozen pears.

It's also called the toka plum but that would have taken the fun out it.

You're so lucky! I can't grow any stone fruits. Fungal disease. Tried a couple times, used sprays, gave up. And I LOVE a delicious sweet plum.
Hopefully I’ll make some quaffable wine, my last attempt at plum wine was too dry and too acidic. So a question, if I put plum wine thru MLF will it be too flat?

Hopefully I’ll make some quaffable wine, my last attempt at plum wine was too dry and too acidic. So a question, if I put plum wine thru MLF will it be too flat?
It depends on what acids are in plums. If there is a significant amount of malic acid, then MLF may make a difference. If there's tartaric, cold stabilization may make a difference.

A while back someone (@Rice_Guy ?) posted a table that listed the predominant acids in common fruits, but I didn't think to save it at the time, and didn't find it in a search.

The easiest solution is to ferment dry, stabilize, and backsweeten. A small amount of sugar may be sufficient to address your problems, without making the wine too sweet.

I have a commercial Vignoles that is listed as a sweet wine (RS 5%), but is perceived as off-dry, as the acid level is high. The same for my FWK Blackberry and Strawberry.

Oddly enough the primary acid in plums is malic acid (at least that is what Wikipedia says - Malic acid - Wikipedia.

But, I'm not sure I would go the MLF route with plum wine. I think I would add just a hint of sugar and see if you like the taste better. I would worry that putting the wine through MLF will dull the taste so much that it doesn't taste like anything at all. You don't have to make this a sweet wine as Bryan points out.

I currently have 5 gallons of wild plum wine native to Oklahoma Tx, etc and have sampled. At first was very bitter and astringent. Over the last couple weeks has mellowed significantly and with a small amount of sugar is quite nice already. Following Jack keller on this one, he says don't try it for 2 years, and may take 3! Ouch! I plan to Bottle some in beer bottles and test every 6 months to see when I really want to drink it. It was really a pain to deal with as there is about as much pit as pulp in each plum. Does make awesome JAM after cooking down and running thru a manual collander. I was tempted to process that way for the wine also but thought I would try the raw plums this year and maybe if I wasn't impressed try the cooked method next year. I then used the must to start a Skeeter Pee. Also in secondary and coming along nice

In another forum there's a person making plum wine and considering using a Jack Keller recipe. How much plums to use is the question they're asking. The Keller recipe is 6# per gallon. I searched but didn't find what @BigDaveK and others are using in terms of fruit ratio.

In another forum there's a person making plum wine and considering using a Jack Keller recipe. How much plums to use is the question they're asking. The Keller recipe is 6# per gallon. I searched but didn't find what @BigDaveK and others are using in terms of fruit ratio.
@heatherd I generally plan for 6 # minimum per gallon of fruit but there's another very important factor - flavor. No flavor no wine, why bother? I cancelled at least 3 wines last year for lack of flavor and I was definitely disappointed.

It breaks my heart that I've only made plum wine once and it's because I haven't had a delicious plum in a couple years. Last year I was gifted with 8#s of plums, some flavor but sub-par. I wanted a plum wine, darn it, so I supplemented with a lb of prunes. Decided to go with a dessert wine, step feeding, finished just shy of 18%. Bottled last week, delicious, and it tasted like Fu-Ki plum wine that I drank A LOT of in the 90's.

Always looking for a good plum!

@heatherd I generally plan for 6 # minimum per gallon of fruit but there's another very important factor - flavor. No flavor no wine, why bother? I cancelled at least 3 wines last year for lack of flavor and I was definitely disappointed.

It breaks my heart that I've only made plum wine once and it's because I haven't had a delicious plum in a couple years. Last year I was gifted with 8#s of plums, some flavor but sub-par. I wanted a plum wine, darn it, so I supplemented with a lb of prunes. Decided to go with a dessert wine, step feeding, finished just shy of 18%. Bottled last week, delicious, and it tasted like Fu-Ki plum wine that I drank A LOT of in the 90's.

Always looking for a good plum!
I have had a very different experience.
My wife hates figs, I grow them and make fig wine every year..its her favorite.
Neither of us like the taste of elderberries but it makes a great wine.
I do age country wines a rather long time but the wine never taste like the fruits,( maybe retains the fruits smell); just like wine made with grapes don't taste like.....grapes.

could also be due to worn out taste buds.

Latest posts

Back