Crush - Yellow Jacket and Hornet Control?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
All whole grape winemakers - how do you control yellow jackets, hornets and wasps during crush and press? We crushed about 500 lbs last week and keeping the bees out of the must was nearly impossible and avoiding stings was impossible.

All whole grape winemakers - how do you control yellow jackets, hornets and wasps during crush and press? We crushed about 500 lbs last week and keeping the bees out of the must was nearly impossible and avoiding stings was impossible.
crush and press in the evening after they go back to their nests. I use pheromone traps plus jam jar traps to catch as many as I can

We have a yellowjacket problem this year and had to crush in the middle of the day. We put out traps and, as @Rice_Guy says had a couple of fans going. Didn't get bothered once... đź‘Ť

(Plus added benefit of keeping cool while you bucket the grapes out of the bin and, in my case, crank the handle on the manual crusher/destemmer...)

Latest posts

Back