Yellow Plum wine attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd guess that theres between 40-50lbs of fruit there.

How many gallons of juice/blended fruit did it yield?
3.5 - 4 gallons?

I'd probably add water to 5.5 gallons total
This will give you a half-gallon leeway for lees & end with a solid 5 gallons

Then adjust sugar & acidity

Or you could just strain a portion of the juice, for an SG reading, and skip water additions all together.

I'll help you out, which ever way you wish to go

Rhyno,

As you note, those aren't Japanese plums (loquats). They look like Mirabelle plums.
Where are you located?

There are no hard and fast rules on water to fruit ratios. Some people here feel that straight juice is the way to go, and will use upwards of 10#/gallon wine. Others use as little as 2#/gallon. Personally, I like my wines somewhere in the middle, at 4-6#/gallon, and by doing that instead of straight juice I can get a little more wine from a given batch.

Manley is correct, except that if you take a reading on the straight juice and find that the pH is 2.8, you might want to make a water addition. That is probably not too likely, but I'm not sure.

Since you have a hydrometer, strain some of the juice now that it has been on the pectic for 24 hours, and get a SG reading and post back.

Do you have a way to check pH?

You will need to add some sugar, the amount depends on whether you will use straight juice or whether you will add some water.

You'll need to thin that out some, to bring the SG down to 1.090 ish or 71B wont be able to handle all the sugar

1116 would do a better job, but I honestly dont think you want this wine to be that high in alcohol.. It'll take longer, for it to calm down and be drinkable; I'd aim for 1.090 on that one too

2 yeasts will give you a more-complex finished wine than just one wine will, not a bad thing at all.. Those are two good yeasts, for the luck of the draw

Back