Would not normally filter but I need to one time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I have a wine that got stirred up and became very cloudy. I used superclear and it finally cleared up. I mistakenly stirred it yesterday and I raised some sediment eventhough I did not get down into the sediment.

I am thinking I need to filter it. Is there a cheap setup you know of for a one time filtering? I have a vacuum pump that I feel will work.

TonyP said:
Steve, I believe the housing is no longer available. I may be wrong, but I tried to find it from other suppliers, as well.

I will post on the PDF that is linked on my FAQ s to an alternative housing - it just costs a little more part # 158116 from filter fast - it has no relief valve on top as well.
I hope this helps

Actually, the wine is not cloudy, I just stirred up sediment but it has seemed to drop down again.

I would just rack the wine off the sediment, let it set a couple weeks to make sure it is good and clear and forget filtering it if you normally don't.

Why would you filter ???

Just wait till the sediment settles again (like before) and then rack.
What's the hurry.

Luc

The deal is that I have racked this wine I think 3 times or more. After about the third time, the sediment had settled solidly in bottom and I was racking to a bottling bucket. It was clear and I was trying to be careful to not pick up what lees were still in the bottom. I disturbed the lees quite a bit so I stopped.

The wine would not reclear so I used some superclear in it. It finally cleared but there was and is fluffy lees in the bottom now. It is difficult to rack without getting them stirred up again.

I guess I should rerack and let it resettle.

Latest posts

Back