WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're shooting for shipping wines to the judges in May-ish.

Eveyone please take into consideration, now, that we will look at having three judges this time, so you'll be shipping out three packages (at about $25 a pop) in May. If you're in the contest, please budget that in.

I'm confused about the cost of shipping. How much wine do we need to send to each judge? I just sent 2-375' MLs to Joeswine via priority flat rate med box for $14. ish.

I'm confused about the cost of shipping. How much wine do we need to send to each judge? I just sent 2-375' MLs to Joeswine via priority flat rate med box for $14. ish.

Lori,

are you aware that it is illegal to mail alcohol thru the US mail?

What are the prizes?

The Prizes are downright awesome!

1st Place wins you an inflated sense of pride and accomplishment, plus a free reign on gloating privilages.

2nd Place gets you one big dose of disappointment, coupled with the understanding that you are the number one loser.

3rd Place nets you a large box of absolutely nothing, along with a tall glass of "What did I do wrong?"

This is all for fun and yucks. Join us...unless you're sceered! :bt

Well, I was super generous to our judges. I sent them each an extra bottle (different wines) for their personal enjoyment. You notice that the bribe did not work. I got last place! :c

Don't worry about me. It costs you what it costs you.

Shipping wine via the USPS is a Felony, shipping wine via ups is still illegal in most states. Don't Tell, don't ask don't see don't hear

I use an unmarked box. Purchase a shipping label from ups.com and drop it off at my local ups store. Never a question asked. I would never ship usps.

I'm sure it is not too late. I am also considering it. I have never made a Welch's wine before. It would be a challenge to make a balanced wine on the drier side (which I prefer) that would also garner the favor of judges. Hmmm . . . still debating. Count me as a maybe right now.

Lori,

are you aware that it is illegal to mail alcohol thru the US mail?

Not until now.
:slp

Techinically I didn't do it. The nice lady behind the counter at the post office put in the priority mail box for me. I had brought in an Amazon box wrapped and ready to ship parcel post, and she said priority was the same price. So she shoved mine into the priority box.
I think it's the first time ever they didn't ask me if I was shipping anything liquid. :)

Alright so.... Here's the secret recipe. Use anyone of these additions and you'll be sure to take first place. Me personally, I'll be using all of em. So good luck.

1) 4.5 gallons of Welches White to make it "taste crisp and not taste sweet"
2) Fortify with 0.4 gallons of "Best Choice" 100% denatured alcohol from CVS. That way the judges will know that your wine is the "best choice."
3) Add a tube of vizine to clear all that sediment up and keep the wine from coming out too dry.
4) Add a pack of Duracell copper top to adjust TA. "Cuz you can't top the coppertop."
5) Add Clairol 57 for better color, "a color so natural only the hairdresser will know." None of the judges are hairdressers right?
6) Add an old "dynamic tension" book by Charles Atlas. For body. "Add this to your wine and then yours can have a body like mine."
7) Add a Nike shoe. A well used one, preferably a running shoe. "Because victory is paid for in sweat courage and preparation." Add a Nike shoe! "Just Do It!"
8) Add Arpege perfume at bottling time to insure that your bottle arrives safely to the judges. "No bottles to break, just hearts." When I win.
9) Add Castroil to make sure that your wine is well put together, stays in balance and goes down smoothly. This is the most important part of the whole process. "It's not just oil, it's liquid engineering."
10)And finally, add a can of Kidney, Liver and Rice Purina dog food. There's nothing left to add after this. "All you add is love."

...get set.... GO! Off to a simple start, 20 cans of concentrate for a 5 gal. batch. I'm sort of thinking of splitting it in 2 once I'm out of in primary, we'll see though. It's my first use of Cote des Blancs yeast and it seems to be a real gentle slow ferment so far, staying around 68 degrees and almost zero foaming. Trying for dry and crisp with slight citrus and apricot notes, we'll see how that shakes out. Attempting to turn a juicy cup into a chardonnay, maybe I'll name mine "Alchemy".
Mike

IMG_0568.jpg

I started a 3 gallon batch last night, but I plan on starting another batch in a week or so.
Whichever turns out best will be what I send in.

I've come up with a new name for mine, "Alchemy" was already being used. This juice is being used for so many different wines I thought of a blank canvas but since mine is a white wine it became "blanc" and since I like the sound of Linen better... "Linen Blanc" it is. Trust me, it made perfect sense at about 3 this morning when I dreamed it up. Label is already in progress. Think I'm going to actually print this on a white linen material, should look pretty cool.

Mike

LinenBlancLabel.jpg

Darn it! Now I've gotta start thinking about my label too!

I'm also using the white grape (had to go to 4 different stores to find some!!!), plus my 'secret ingredient' for this batch. For some reason the house smells like watermelons. Only, there were no watermelons added...???

dessertmaker, that is priceless....If i was a judge I would pick yours, before i tasted, to make sure I didnt...lol very well put together..

Back