Winemaking just not meant to be for me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would probably be a good idea to document all these safety tips in the Beginners area. So all new winemakers can learn from this. I'm sure there have been other mishaps over the years by other folks. Maybe we need a place to document "lessons learned."

Sarah,

Pretty darn new here.

Will say that I feel for you.

I MAY have an extra Carboy at home that I could see about sending you if you wish. I will check tonight. I didn't get to the end of the thread to see what your current status is.

I will check back into the forum tonight to see if I can help.

Regards,
Ian (Alberta, Canada)

P.S. I have 1 6ft folding (banquet-style) molded-plastic table that I got from Costco (Sams club) that I use. My first time having 3 kits going saw a sag in the middle. Needless to say, I got to work on that real quick ..... laid out a 2X4 on the floor at the fold-point, and ran a few 2X4s vertically on each eand and in the center to support the hinge. Helped out remarkable. Since then, I have bought a sheet of plywood (1 inch, if I recall) and laid that on the table. The work surface is now sturdy as a rock ..... have 4 kits going right now .... Not sure I'll EVER get to 6 kits .... afraid i'd be dipping into them with a thief far too often !

YEA! He had a lot of stuff that he was selling really cheap, i just ran out of money. :)

uh Dan thats 14 carboys plus the 2 1/2 gallons and 1 gallon

I'm sitting here crying because I can never find a great deal like that out here in the midwest now you can complete with Wade, Tom, and Dan

Sorry for bringing this back but....

The other day I was looking at my shelving i bought from the depot and I had turned a 6 ft. shelf into two 3 ft racks placing my carboys all on the bottom and the upper shelf was filled gallons and a few magnums etc. along with misc stuff.

I noticed that the sheeting that came with it is starting to bow a little on the top shelf. The bottom shelf has the support of 2x4's so no worry there.

Over time moisture has started to work at weakening this and eventually disaster would strike me. Now the only thing on these top shelves is a few empty bottles, paperwork and misc light stuff.

Everyone please from time to time look over your set up and see if pending doom is heading your way. One bottle/carboy, even a gallon falling can take out a few larger carboys below.

I think we have the same shelving. I keep empty carboys on the top. I was thinking about using sheet metal over the top of the boards or figuring out some sort of reinforcement

I do not keep any carboys on top anymore. I noticed a few weeks ago the sheeting bowing a bit. I'll get some plywood and add additional reinforcemect. I, we, have too much invested in this to even loose one btl. let alone a carboy

All it takes is one bottle or carboy to take out several others. The domino effect even. All a cheap rack needs to do is break off from a bracket or the wall and it's disaster.

This is why I built a heavy duty shelving system for my bottles. Carboys are on the floor resting on cardboard on the other side of the room.

Over time many of you will be slowly adding to your collection of wine from your making and friends you trade with. Look over your system and ask yourself is this really sturdy?

If yes. . . Great. If not. . . Get Busy. It's a shame someone had to lose so much to make us aware of this potential problem.

Now we want to see a picture of them FULL!!

Get crackin' girlie!

Debbie

Not to worry! I'm putting in my juice order soon (expected to be delivered the first week of October), and I'm hoping to make a pilgrimage to Walkers this fall too. :)

OMG!!!!! Sarah that is an AWESOME DEAL!!!! I check craigslist here daily hoping for a deal!! You ROCK!!! Congrats on your find :db:db :db

Let us know when you go, we'd love to have lunch with you. Placing my order this week for my Regina. I do want some juice from Walker's too.

I will let you know! My mother will be with me too when I go out there.....I'm aiming for the end of October if I can work it with my work schedule.

Back