Winemaking just not meant to be for me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
Who would have thought that a table that looked that sturdy would collapse.

RIP: 5 gallons Cranberry, 3 Gallons Strawberry, 6 Gallons Cherry Noir, 6 Gallons Raspberry SP, 6 Gallons Apfelwein, 5 Gallons Sauv Blanc and 6 Gallons Syrah. Every single carboy I own. (except one 3 gallon) :( :( :( :ts

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

I'm speachless. Looks to be a sturdy table. I don't like the pedistal type tables for anything heavy. They tend to tilt if the load is not distributed evenly. Have your Hubby build you a good solid bench with 4 legs.

Don't give up hope.

Regarding Your Spill

SR, My heart goes out to you. I an only imagine your feelings. I do encourage you to keep things in perspective and keep you chin up, looking forward to the future wines that you intend to make. I can already see that sturdy table that can withstand a tornado down there and carboys full of new wine.

If you send me your address, I'd like to send a small contribution to aid you on your way to your future endevors.

Hang in there friend and it was big of you to share your experience so others can avoid the potential danger.

Paul

Everyone flags at half mast. Sarah I am so sorry at your loss. How devastating. The good thing no one got hurt and it looks like you're in the basement. I cant even imagine. 37 gallons plus carboys and you time, I just don't know what else to say. Thank you for sharing and let this be a warning to everyone else about the dangers of overloading tables. The wine alone weighed over 300 pounds plus the weight of the glass. Wish I was there to help you clean up.

USflaghalf-mast-1.gif

Like others have said, so very sorry for your loss and it is just that. You worked long and hard trying to make something wonderful and it was taken away from you in a few seconds. Mourn, and then come back when your ready to put it behind you. I can guarantee you we are all rethinking and rechecking our own wine benches wondering if it could happen to us. Again so very sorry. Those pictures are hard to look at for a winemaker.......

:(:ts:(:ts:(:ts:(:ts:(:ts

My God, I am so sorry. Keep your chin up. Keep the faith. Take a deep breath and start again. The rewards are too great to let this setback cause you to give up. We're all cheering for you. :hug :hug :hug :hug

I already went down and checked out the two tables that were manufactured. The bench I made has 2x4s on 16" centers and two layers of plywood and a slate top. Can dance all I want on it. On the other hand I was also using those 6" plastic tables this summer until I notice the center on them starting to buckle. Sarah take your time but do stick around please.

Thank you everyone for the support. It is pretty heartbreaking for me, being a new winemaker, a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into some of those wines. I had some that had been bulk aging there since February. No one was hurt, we think it may have happened yesterday while we were at work. (Never heard it) My father in law came over to help clean up and took a good look at what he thinks may have happened (he is both an engineer and avid woodworker). While the table itself was very heavy and seemed solid, it was designed pretty poorly. The legs which we thought were solid (because of the weight) were actually hollow, and just split in about 3 different places. For now the actual table top is still pretty solid, so we are going to go get about 4 sawhorses to put underneath it for when I can get things started again. My FIL is already starting to talk about building me a new table out of steel pipe, etc. As for collecting more equipment, it's just going to take me a while again, especially since Amazon isn't selling the 6 gallon carboys for $30 anymore right now.

Words can not explain what i just saw.

I built 2 tables - nothing special 2x4's angled together for legs and cross bars across the top for the 1/2" plywood to nail to.

But i anchored it to the existing wall so that would not happen. I have seen entertainment centers, shelves, etc all top over before. Didn't want this to happen.

I am so very sorry!!!

Ouch, SR you have my condolences. Heck maybe we should have a small WineMakingTalk.com WineAid concert. I would buy a ticket. Sorry bud... chin up and take your FIL up on the steel pipe table.

I just went and checked the one carboy I have on a table

Wow, again sorry for your loss, making me think on how my carboys are stored. I have 3, 5 gal & 1 3gal sitting on a short plastic table, all filled with wine!!! Maybe its time just to place them on the floor in my laundry room as its is just slightly bowed. It is quite a bit of weight being supported on just a small plastic rack... I enclosed a picture, hope it shows up. I have them sitting just above the support posts, but again they are only plastic.....

Al

Wine Table.jpg

AL, that is not good. My plastic table was set up the same way with a few bottles in the middle. One fell over from the table dipping in the middle. Thats when I knew how lucky I was. Also if you place them on the floor place a rug under them or something else to cushion them.

Sarah, too bad it wasn't your weekend to watch Bufold and Bernadette. They would have cleaned up the entire mess including the glass.

You are right Dan,I have an old moving quilt in the garage, can fold it up to make a nice cushion for them to sit on. I was always careful in placing them on the rack, but again, its only plastic, doesnt even compare to the wooden table. Maybe I have been just lucky nothing has happened. Sure is an eye-opener though........

Al

Sorry Sarah. That's heartbreaking to see. If you bought stuff recently on your credit card maybe their purchase protection would help you recover some of the loss with new equipment?

It why I would never use a table myself! I dont trust anyone elses craftsmanship but my on for something that will be supporting so much weight! Do yourself a favor and just get some unfinished kitchen cabinets from Lowes and finish them yourself and then put a counter top on them. The unfinished cabinets are actualy very cheap!!Very sorry to hear about this and I think the clean up is the worst part of this IMO!!!! 37 gallons, Oyvay!!!!!!

OUCH.gif

I guess all you can do now is keep your chin up.... get some new equipment.... start the process over again. Before you know it, you'll have recovered from the catastrophe.

Oh geez Sarah that really stinks. I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Latest posts

Back