Wine pump and degasser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently picked up the filter housing at a surplus store for $10 and I think the filters were $2.

<table ="tableBorder" style="table-layout: fixed;" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr ="msgableRow"><tr ="msgableRow"><td ="msgLineDevider" valign="top" height="150">

<div ="msg" style="overflow: auto; : left;">
Got mine in this afternoon. Although it isn't impressive in size, this
dog does hunt. It looked to be perfectly new. They shipped it with
some brand new tubing, so I hooked it up and sanitized a drilled one
size fits all stopper and got a tubing connector. I put it on the
orange blossom mead and set the vacuum to -5 inches of pressure. let
it set for a minute and saw a few bubbles rise up. after the 1 minute
mark I set it to -10, more bubbles, set it to -15 and it came to life
with bubbles. Let it set there for 2 mins and then set it to -20 for 2
minutes. It was still bubbling somewhat at the end, but I figured it
had been degassed enough. Looks like it will work great for
degassing. I'll have to test it later for racking..........

</td></tr></tr></t></table>

I was on call. I got a call and ran out the door. I forgot to place a bid! Did anyone here get it?

Hmmm, everyones buying pumps, mabey I too shall look into this vacuum craze.........

Though I can't seem to hit Ebay at the right time!!!!!!

Has anyone seen any carboy specifications on how much pressure or vacuum they will take before imploding or exploding? I have read horror stories about this happening but have never seen anything about how much they can take.

Thanks

I have never gone above 25" on a full carboy and never had any problems with that and must say that is all you need.

Just remember when buying 1 of these that it doesnt have to be new as the only thing that touches your wine is racking canes and your racking hose.

I love that article, Ive read it before but had to read it again. thanks for sharing!

Thats a damn good deal, hope someone grabs it right up. just remember everyone, not all these sellers will sell these units to us, some will only sell to licensed medical workers so bidding on an item without messaging the seller will start up a nightmare. Just make sure, they almost all have a disclaimere about this but Ebay makes them print this so message the seller as you might be able to buy a very nice unit!

Great prices! Units look great. I hope someone here gets them.
smiley1.gif

Interesting. I can't imagine why there would be an FDA limitation on who might buy a vucuum pump??!!

I think because they are used. You never know who and what they were aspirating. That's why you may want to be a little concerned with used medical equipment. After all, this is for wine YOUR drinking.

When using for what we use it for there is no need to worry if you get new hoses as thats the only thing that touches your wine.

There is relatively little that lysol © or a 10% bleach solution can't kill. You can alway get the filters, tubing, and canisters brand new as well. So that shouldn't stop you. I would think its more for preventing the garage liposuction from occurring. You can get vacuum pumps from Harbor freight. You can get the gauges, canisters, and filters off ebay or google search.

And to add to wade's comment, nothing really touches your wine if you are careful. You can sanitize and sterilize all connections before use.

wade said:
Thats a damn good deal, hope someone grabs it right up. just remember everyone, not all these sellers will sell these units to us, some will only sell to licensed medical workers so bidding on an item without messaging the seller will start up a nightmare. Just make sure, they almost all have a disclaimere about this but Ebay makes them print this so message the seller as you might be able to buy a very nice unit!

You might tell them you are a registered respiratory therapist. That might be enough to get them to sell it to you. But if they push it further and ask for a license number then you might be SOL

Couldn't resist and grabbed a pump on Ebay.

Now have a question on the water filters:

I picked up a GE Smartwater model GXWH04F, but could not see any filters smaller than 5 micron. Home Depot.

What brand did you gents find the 1 micron filters?

Latest posts

Back