Wine pump and degasser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an FYI for everyone. The reason these pumps are not sold to whomever wants them is that the equipment type has gone through the FDA certification process and is now deemed controlled medical equipment. Controlled medical equipment, by it's nature, can only be sold to or upon the order of a licensed physician. It has to do with tracking for recall purposes, since it is technically a medical device. So technically speaking, it is a violation to sell a FDA controlled vacuum pump w/o a signed physician's order, but it's not like you're trying to buy your own CT unit. The FDA is not going to do an audit on the distributors of vacuum pumps, especially 2 or 3 distributors removed, so that is why some will sell to you and others won't.

Question that has been hinted at, but not really asked, as I can see. I know that the Better Bottles won't handle the vacuum necessary for degassing, but will they handle the vacuum (-5") necessary for racking?

I asked that question of the seller and was told, "No, our auctions are open to all public purchases."

It's a good idea to ask that question before you bid.
</font>

I dont know the answer to that ratflinger, are you the same ratflinger from Brewhaus? Thanks for informing us on why some wont sell us these units.

ratflinger said:
Question that has been hinted at, but not really asked, as I can see. I know that the Better Bottles won't handle the vacuum necessary for degassing, but will they handle the vacuum (-5") necessary for racking?

Yes this question has been asked before and I will tell you, the Better Bottles willNOT hold the vacuum needed to transfer either. The sides collapse at around 1 inch or less. Now this is the receiving container I am speaking of. The source container can be anything since the racking cane just sits in it. The vacuum created into the other vessel allows the wine to be forced into the racking cane so the vacuum is not needed at the source.

appleman said:
ratflinger said:

Yes this question has been asked before and I will tell you, the Better Bottles willNOT hold the vacuum needed to transfer either. The sides collapse at around 1 inch or less. Now this is the receiving container I am speaking of. The source container can be anything since the racking cane just sits in it. The vacuum created into the other vessel allows the wine to be forced into the racking cane so the vacuum is not needed at the source.

Appleman's answer is, of course, correct. When I got started with wine
making, I bought several better bottles. Since I have begun using a pump, the better bottles have gone unused except when absolutely needed and then only as secondary fermenters (I then rack with an auto siphon.)

When you're racking with one of these, does the vacuum continue to draw air out of the original carboy after the liquid has been moved? What I mean is, do you have to be careful to avoid a big rush of air at the end of the rack? And if so, what's a good strategy?

yes it will. Just be prepared to shut off the vacuum from the source side. I kink off the tubing between the aspirator and receiving carboy. Then remove the tubing from the top of the carboy cap and shut off the pump. Otherwise you will get a whole bunch of air with 21% oxygen in it......

Wade has some diagrams.
smiley1.gif

Just remember that simply turning off the machine will not immediately stop the vacuum. To stop it immediately you have to kink off the tubing. I recommend taking or kinking the tubing off from the aspirator pump side. That will stop the flow immediately.

When you start out with the empty carboy, you remove all the air from it before the liquid will start moving. So at that stage you don't have to worry about oxygenating your wine. Just the end stage when you are finishing up your transfer. Play around with an empty carboy and water until you get comfortable with what you need to do to stop the flow.

If you have any friends in the nursing profession, ask them to get you a five in one connector for suction tubing. Its a double coned (tapered) connection tube that will fit to just about any size tubing that will work with your pump. This piece fits perfectly into bungs and the orange carboy caps.

Sweet! Getting the connector will keep me busy while waiting for the aspirator to arrive.

Gee, I'm glad I asked about that. I was thinking about it all this morning, sort of walking it through in my head and it occurred to me that the O2 at the end could be a problem. Thanks so much for the tips and info.
smiley20.gif

Actually I can turn my pressure knob on mine and stop all pressure going in or out on mine when the pump is off so I dont need to kink my hose.

125.jpg
This is the 5 in 1 connector I am talking about........

Maybe your pump is different Wade, but its just quicker to disconnect for me.

Thanks, Gaudet. Visual aids: always a good thing when learning new stuff.
smiley36.gif
Wade, I'll have to see if mine can do that when it comes in.

I myself don't worry about shutting the vacuum off totally and holding a vacuum. If you run it up gradually to about 20-22 in vacuum and let it run for about 5 minutes. Turn off the pump and repeat another time or two until all you get are the bigger fish type bubbles and you are all set. I also don't worry about 02 backing back into the carboy, since it will be topped back up after finishing degassing (you remove about a cup to give you a bit of room for all the bubbles to come up to). I'm probably not as anal about all of it as I could be, but that's the way I do it. You could squirt in a bit of argon or C02 after if worried about it that much.

Brewgirl. When I vac/rack, i leave the racking cane above the liquid in the receiving carboy. This way a series of things happen. You are acually splash racking and the vacuum is pulling to 02 out. Also, at the end of the racking, as long as the cane is out of the liquid, any 02 entering the crboy will be sucked into to pump and not through the liquid. But you should have mini ball valves in all your lines so you have the capabilities to shut any portion of the vacuum system. I posted my sequence about a month ago. But everyone must remember. Whenever you have a vacuum... and then it equalizes... you are indroducing air... period. What I try to do is at the end of the vacuum, I shut the ball valves and let the 02 (already in the wine) to help equalized and break the vacuum. Even if you have a regulator on your pump, air will back flow from your pump to your carboy. Just keep the racking cane out of the liquid.

Latest posts

Back