Vacuum pump options for wine degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also own an AIO but was always troubled as to why an oil filled vaccuum pump was frowned upon. If the pump is creating a negative pressure in the holding vessel like the AIO does, how does the oil or fumes from the oil have any affect on the product being transferred?

Steve is correct, the fumes do come out in the exhaust, simple prevention is to wrap the exhaust with a wet towel. I use an oiled vacuum pump in my wine room, with all of the wine I’ve made and bought, including some pretty rare, collectors wines, with no problems. It can absolutely be done. Vacuum pumps don’t implode healthy glass carboys, I’ve pulled vacuums on mine while empty, it just doesn’t happen....period.

Got it, thanks. So even though it's way more involved, in theory if the pump was placed outdoors or sufficient ventilation was provided there would be no issue?

Steve and Mike are right. Oil-sealed vacuum pumps produce a miasma of oil vapors that have a particular and strong smell. A little goes a long way. Yes, if you insist, I imagine you could place the pump remotely and get away with it. However, this is like asking if you could do a table-saw job with a circular saw... in principle, perhaps, but it is just the wrong tool for the job.

One more thing you should be aware of (since you said "in theory" :) ). In theory, it is possible for the oil to migrate upstream, up the inside walls of your tube. Why? Because the air and oil molecules don't "know" which way the pump is -- they just bounce around randomly. (The pump's job is remove molecules from one end, and thus make it more likely that the molecules will bounce downstream.) Eventually, some of the oil can make its way upstream. I should add that this effect is not too pronounced until you get to low pressures, lower than you have reason to operate the pump, and it can be mitigated by using an oil trap and/or a long tube.

Steve and Mike are right. Oil-sealed vacuum pumps produce a miasma of oil vapors that have a particular and strong smell. A little goes a long way. Yes, if you insist, I imagine you could place the pump remotely and get away with it. However, this is like asking if you could do a table-saw job with a circular saw... in principle, perhaps, but it is just the wrong tool for the job.

One more thing you should be aware of (since you said "in theory" :) ). In theory, it is possible for the oil to migrate upstream, up the inside walls of your tube. Why? Because the air and oil molecules don't "know" which way the pump is -- they just bounce around randomly. (The pump's job is remove molecules from one end, and thus make it more likely that the molecules will bounce downstream.) Eventually, some of the oil can make its way upstream. I should add that this effect is not too pronounced until you get to low pressures, lower than you have reason to operate the pump, and it can be mitigated by using an oil trap and/or a long tube.

I use the AIO but was just curious about the precautions. As far as the table saw goes, I have almost all the woodworking machines available and the table and miter saws are by far the 2 most used pieces of equipment. I could probably do away with everything else and not be too disappointed.

I use the AIO but was just curious about the precautions. As far as the table saw goes, I have almost all the woodworking machines available and the table and miter saws are by far the 2 most used pieces of equipment. I could probably do away with everything else and not be too disappointed.

Ahh, yes, I figured you would have those tools. I try to make analogies that reflect my "target audience's" domain of expertise! :hug

Back