Wine pump and degasser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ever you do, once you get the pump, consider it useless without a gauge! MUST HAVE A GAUGE!!!!!!

Appleman, Your pump looks like an air compressor while the other pumpslook different. Does your pump spit/smokeoil ?

No Rocky Top. The one I have is a totally enclosed unit that doesn't require adding oil to like the others shown do. Since they are used for healthcare, you don't want to be spewing out oil like the others do. It is a very neat self contained unit with carrying handle. I don't think it pulls quite as much vacuum as the others do, but it goes to about 22 inch and transfers fine at about 5-10. Degassing works great- just start at about 5 and keep increasing as the amount of air drawn out decreases.

Rich is there any reason
that i could not use a used 1, does the wine run through the motor or something that can not be replaced like a hose?

22" is perfect and all anyone should ever succumb their wine to. I will wait and try to get my hands on 1 of those, i actually emailed them yesterday but am not expecting too much as they wanted to know what I did for a job and all of them where doctors positions.
Edited by: wade

Thanks Appleman, That is what I was thinking. The others look more industrial. More power less friendly. Edited by: Rocky Top

Wade since it is all self contained, everything on them is easily replaced. The collction jar can be a bit pricey, but the wine never goes into anything, except possibly the jar if some gets sucked by the discharge point. I had a tiny bit go into the hose once when I let too much go into the carboy I was filling. I have been very happy with mine.

Thanks everyone, I have pmed everyone with 1 of those pumps even the 1 you posted Rocky before I even seen your post. I am going to go that route as I dont want to play around too much Jerry rigging anything. Dont really want to spend $207 though either but I guess its better then being out of work.

Rich, while transferring wine from 1 to another carboy, is there a loss more or less then racking with a auto siphon? Did yours come with hoses and if not do i need special hoses?

Wade the pump I got came with a hose, but i just got regular tubing in 10 foot lengths and cut to lengths I wanted. The 3/8" hose fits right on the jar fitting. That tube just goes to 2 carboy caps with canes in each of them.

<TABLE =maintable borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Item Number</TD>
<TD>4870</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Description</TD>
<TD>

Siphon Tube (Racking Cane) 3/8 inch w/Tip

30" High, Curved 3/8" OD

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Current Price</TD>
<TD>$2.99</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Picture</TD>
<TD>
2249_sm.gif
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<TABLE =maintable borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Item Number</TD>
<TD>14604</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Description</TD>
<TD>

Carboy Cap Universal, one size fits all

Fits 3, 5 &amp; 6 gallon glass carboys!

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Current Price</TD>
<TD>$2.69</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Picture</TD>
<TD>
2610_sm.jpg
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Unless you are drawing out of a carboy and want a seal, you really only need 1 carboy cap.

Wade here is a picture of the overall setup. I just leave the hoses long to reach where I want- clear across the room if I need. The one racking cane you will notice just sets in the bucket or barrel in this case.
20081015_094551_100_4655_Medium.jpg

I don't see any difference in loss of wine except that the little black standoff on the bottom of the racking cane is smaller so I may lose less than with an autosiphon. I would say the difference is minimal though either way.

The one thing I want you to notice though Wade is that the barrel is on the floor and the carboy is on the counter. It doesn't matter i it is higher lower or the same level- it still moves it!Edited by: appleman

Thats why Im doing this Rich cause I dont want to be picking up 6 gallon batches any more and may soon venture into doing bigger batches with real grapes next year or the year after. Thanks for helping me with this stuff, I may have a few more questions for ya eventually, especially once I get it and will do so soon. So right now you are using racking hoses, even for degassing? I would have thought they would colapse upon them selves.

I figured that was what you were up to Wade, that's why I pointed that part out- to reaffirm it works to you in case you had that little voice in the back of the head asking- "Does it really work?"

Just use the orange cap for degassing. I leave one of the little white caps on and jug plug the supplied hose onto the other nipple that sticks up. The hoses hold up fine to the vacuum.

Great, Im just waiting for them to message me back if I can buy as some say that you have to be in the medical field, if I can I will, if not I'll look into some other brands I am also watching that are the same kind but different names.

Latest posts

Back