Wine pump and degasser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocky Top said:
Hey gaudet,..... Why didn't you tell us about the pump before you won it???
smiley36.gif

Looks nice, I hope it really sucks.
smiley15.gif
(I mean has good vacume.)

Cause I didn't want to get in a bidding war with you guys..................
smiley1.gif

If I see any more of em I'll post it........

But we are your friends. We would never bid against you. Were is the trust?
smiley4.gif

I do not need one. Yet when Appleman has one and Wade has one and even gaudet has one, Well shouldn't I have one?

Good luck with it and tell us what you think about it when you get to use it.

Got mine today which was very fast. I dont think it was ever used. While looking it up and trying to find more info out about the unit yesterday, the only thing I found out more was that the company is actually out of my state.

Just degassed my Black Currant using my new pump. I put the overflow canister from my brake bleeder in for now as Gaudet is hooking me up with the real canisters. Man did this make short work of degassing. This unit is so quite also and actually is the same color as my horizontal encapsular. Cant wait to do some racking now.

Rocky Top said:
But we are your friends. We would never bid against you. Were is the trust?
smiley4.gif

I do not need one. Yet when Appleman has one and Wade has one and even gaudet has one</font>, Well shouldn't I have one?

Good luck with it and tell us what you think about it when you get to use it.

I see I was wise to wait to announce it.
smiley4.gif

I don't have it yet, but its coming. Hope to get it by next year. And from the sounds of it YOU should have one too

Wade, I'll have to get with you or Appleman on the specifics of degassing with this apparatus. I think I got the racking figured out easy enough. Now I need to get a spare carboy just for racking.................. Does this obsession ever end????
smiley4.gif

I have a brake bleeder so I just snagged 1 of the fittings that came with that and inserted it into my hose, then you just insert that fitting into the bung and start off slow with the vacuum slowly turning it up. I believe that you could just insert the hose into 1 of the Orange carboy caps though.

All you guys with vacuum pumps are going to become wimps. I was using a Vacuvin until I recently bought a brake bleeder. I can't wait to shake your hands at Winestock and demonstrate the grip I'm developing from using the brake bleeder.

dfwwino said:
All you guys with vacuum pumps are going to become wimps. I was using a Vacuvin until I recently bought a brake bleeder. I can't wait to shake your hands at Winestock and demonstrate the grip I'm developing from using the brake bleeder.

You enjoy that brake bleeder and the carpal tunnel
smiley36.gif

I missed it yesterday that you got yours Wade. Is degassing easy or what? Nice Christmas present there! Gaudet like Wade says, just make a connection to the bung or carboy cap and turn it on slow. At first the bubbles really come up fast. When they slow down again, turn the vacuum up some more and keep increasing until you get to about 20-22 in vacuum. Let it run for a few minutes and you are done. Total time ~5 minutes.

Gaudet, do you need a fitting for your hose to a bung as I have a few and I can include 1 in the wine shipment to you. Just let me know if you use a silicone bung or rubber bung.

I have a brake bleeder too, and we have all kinds of neat connections I can get from work. I also have the orange caps for the carboys. I should be ok on that end.

Looks like we will be all set soon. I just have to get a whole house filter and will mount this on my wall behind the carboys. Rich what filters do you use, not the string looking ones right or are those fine?What micron do you suggest and where do you get them, I see Valley Vintner has some very small micron filters but they are pricey, may eventually pick up 1 or 2 to try and sterile filter a batch but mostly just want to polish a white wine. Do we want to stray from Carbon filters?

DFW, Ive been using the brake bleeder for 2 years now so my right hnad looks like the hand on that guy in the movie Hellboy!
smiley36.gif

Wade I did start out with filters from Valley Vintner to get going. I got the 1, 2, 5 and .45 filters. I am by no means a filter expert and don't use them often. They aren't string filters, but I'm not sure. The expensive .45 filter is a totally different material and I have not even used it yeat. I would only do that on one to try to get as sterile as I can. I may use it one a larger batch this year.

The last batch of filters I got, I ordered somewhere else. I got the same filter numbers as Valley Vintners, but the other place had them a lot cheaper. I know you will ask, but no I don't remember where it was. I will look it up some time for you.

wade said:
DFW, Ive been using the brake bleeder for 2 years now so my right hnad looks like the hand on that guy in the movie Hellboy!
smiley36.gif

Wade that's not from the brake bleeder
smiley4.gif

Hey Wade, from what I've read on another forum, you should stay away from carbon filters for they will strip your wine of flavor and color and you'll end up with alcohol water. After all that work!!!!!
smiley19.gif

I was pretty much thinking the same thing and wanted to hear that from others. I have seen some pretty tight filters like 1 micron at Lowes for like $9 for a twin pack and thats pretty much all Ill ever need, I may try to streile filter a wine just to do it with 1 of those .25 micron filters after I do some resaerch to find some cheaoer and get some money to buy some which could be quite some time. i really wasnt looking forward to this purchase but since it will save my back it will probaly save my job!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back