Other Which kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehammonds

Reaction score
Got an empty carboy and primary and eyeing my next kit. Would love some input. I have either bottled, bulk aging or in the barrel the following: red mountain can, cellar craft amarone, and WE selection international Chilean Malbec/Shiraz. Whatever I get will need to fill the vadai (third round). Considering the eclipse zin or merlot and also the walla walla cab. Heard good things about all, though not sure where u purchase the walla walla. Any ideas on these or any other good bets? Prefer kits with skins included Thanks!

Hmmm. Never considered for some reason. They look great though. Anyone in particular stand out?

Hmmm. Never considered for some reason. They look great though. Anyone in particular stand out?

Amarone and Super Tuscan get good reviews here on WMT. I've got the Italy Amarone bulk aging but have made and consumed the Washington Merlot, Super Tuscan and Cab. Sav. in that order. I've liked all three and would rate them in the reverse order just listed. I'm planning on working my way through all the reds in the series.

Check out the link again, about half the selections have a review.

Last edited:
If I understood you correctly, this batch would be the third into the barrel. Hence, you do want something that can take some oak. If only for that reason, I'd favor the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot over the others. You can find it from George at Fine Vine Wines. The Amarone can take some oak, too.

Got an empty carboy and primary and eyeing my next kit. Would love some input. I have either bottled, bulk aging or in the barrel the following: red mountain can, cellar craft amarone, and WE selection international Chilean Malbec/Shiraz. Whatever I get will need to fill the vadai (third round). Considering the eclipse zin or merlot and also the walla walla cab. Heard good things about all, though not sure where u purchase the walla walla. Any ideas on these or any other good bets? Prefer kits with skins included Thanks!

I have made each of those kits (two of them twice) and would highly recommend all of them. If you like Syrah/Shiraz I would recommend the CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah and the Showcase South African Shiraz.

I have made each of those kits (two of them twice) and would highly recommend all of them. If you like Syrah/Shiraz I would recommend the CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah and the Showcase South African Shiraz.

The Yakima Syrah was discontinued last year. :(

I agree with the RJS Cabernet. Of all the wines I've made, and I've made 1950 bottles in the last three years, that one has been the favorite of anyone who has tried my wine, including me.

You won't be unhappy with any of the Winery Series of Kits IMHO. All get high remarks. Since you are located in Houston you might check out Fine Vine Wines in the DFW area as a source for the Cellar Craft Showcase line of kits. They have good prices and great service. Also check out Brew and Wine Supply. Great service, great prices plus an extra discount for WMT members.

Thanks. I ordered the walla walla cab/merlot from finevine wine yesterday and delivery is scheduled for today! Can't wait to start it. Gonna try the rjs line next.

Latest posts

Back