RJ Spagnols Favorite RJS Spagnols Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty Knapp

Reaction score
I've made several WineXpert Eclipse kits but only two RJS Spagnols En Primeur kits - both were Super Tuscan. They are the best wine I've ever made - so I'm ordering some more kits by RJS.

But - I see that there are 2 Amarone wine kits:
RJS En Primeur Winery Series Italian Amarone Wine Kit w/Skins, and
RJS En Primeur Winery Series Amarone Classico Wine Kit w/Dried Skins.

Both are full bodied, medium oak as I would expect. The "Classico" is slightly more expensive. I like the description of the first better.

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two?

Others I'm looking at are:
RJS En Primeur Winery Series Australian Cabernet Shiraz Wine Kit w/Skins
RJS En Primeur Winery Series Australian Shiraz Wine Kit w/Dried Skins
RJS En Primeur Winery Series German Riesling Gewurztraminer Wine Kit
RJS En Primeur Winery Series Chilean Merlot Wine Kit w/ Merlot Skins

Any experience/opinions about these?

Last edited:
My understanding of Amarone is that part of the “classical” process involves dried grapes. The classical kit contains both wet and dry grapes which affects the price by about $10.

The Classico comes with more juice and only dried skins. Made it last year and expect it to be great.

Crushday, check again, the Classico is 18L Juice and Dried Skins. The other is 16L juice with wet skins and raisins. Before they merged the 2 line the Classico was the EnPrimeur, The other with wet skins and raisins was the Winery Series. Most of us when referring to the RJS Amarone are referring to the kit with wet skins and raisins.

I purchased my last RJS kit from Midwest Supplies. I do wait for sales, though. With 20% off and their free shipping, the prices aren’t bad.

Crushday, check again, the Classico is 18L Juice and Dried Skins. The other is 16L juice with wet skins and raisins. Before they merged the 2 line the Classico was the EnPrimeur, The other with wet skins and raisins was the Winery Series. Most of us when referring to the RJS Amarone are referring to the kit with wet skins and raisins.

The site I'm looking at shows both with 18L, but I believe you. These sites make a lot of errors/assumptions in their descriptions.

Sounds like I should go with the "RJS En Primeur Winery Series Italian Amarone Wine Kit w/Skins".

So, does anyone have a preference between:
RJS En Primeur Winery Series Australian Cabernet Shiraz Wine Kit w/Skins; and
RJS En Primeur Winery Series Australian Shiraz Wine Kit w/Dried Skins.

IF the site descriptions are right, the Cab Shiraz is medium oak and full bodied. The Shiraz is heavy oak and medium bodied. So I'll probably go for the Cab Shiraz.

I made the Classico about 18mo ago and it’s already my favorite. I have made almost all of the WE Eclipse red kits (many 2x) and I find them all pretty disappointing after 3 years in my cellar.

The RJS Classico Amarone and the Super Tuscan are head and shoulders above any of the WE kits IMO.

I made the Classico about 18mo ago and it’s already my favorite. I have made almost all of the WE Eclipse red kits (many 2x) and I find them all pretty disappointing after 3 years in my cellar.

The RJS Classico Amarone and the Super Tuscan are head and shoulders above any of the WE kits IMO.

Yes, I've made several WE Eclipse kits and they don't compare to the 2 Super Tuscan kits I've made. What I've experienced with the Eclipse kits is great tasting wine at, or shortly after, bottling - but not necessarily a year or more later! Where, with the Super Tuscan, I wasn't impressed until 10 or more months down the road - then they tasted like the best wine I've ever made.

So, I'm ready to try several RJS kits to see if I'm as happy with them as I am with them Super Tuscan.
Any opinions out there on their Riesling Gewurztraminer kit?

I also made the RJS Cab and it’s tasting pretty good in the carboy at 9mo. I already prefer it to my 2016 WE Lodi Cab which I’m tempted to start using as top up wine to be honest.

I’m not sure if it’s what people call “kit taste” but the finish on the WE kits especially is off to me. I’d describe it as “jammy” or something. Some people say that kit taste is caused by sorbate but I’ve never added that to any of my kits so not sure.

No Opinion on the EP Riesling Gewurztraminer kit, but the RJS Cru Select Gewurztraminer is a great kit if you like an off dry German style Gewurztraminer.

I take copious notes when mixing my kits and throughout the fermentation. This kit came with two equal sized wet skin bags and one smaller bag of raisins in a metallic looking pouch. I placed both the dry and wet skins in the provided muslin bag and dropped it into the must.
IMG_1123.jpeg

I take copious notes when mixing my kits and throughout the fermentation. This kit came with two equal sized wet skin bags and one smaller bag of raisins in a metallic looking pouch. I placed both the dry and wet skins in the provided muslin bag and dropped it into the must.

Thanks for double checking, I wonder if it has changed or if your kit was labeled / packed incorrectly. The RJS website still lists the classico as being dried skins.

I don’t take great notes on my kits anymore but I seem to remember the Classico coming with both wet and dry skins.

Thanks for the info. Made my decision. Stocked up for awhile.
Went with:
"RJS En Primeur Winery Series Italian Amarone Wine Kit w/Skins"
"RJS En Primeur Winery Series Australian Cabernet Shiraz Wine Kit w/Skins"
"RJS En Primeur Winery Series Super Tuscan (Italian) Wine Kit w/ Merlot Skins"

That'll keep me busy for a while, but still looking for a white or two. Probably a Gewurztraminer.

Latest posts

Back