WHERE HAS EVERYONE BEEN...ON VACATION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I hope that everone is enjoying their summer. It's been kind of quiet around here lately. It doesn't seem like summer here, temperature wise. We have had so much rain that it has kept the temps in the 80's. I'm sure you all are busy with the kids and taking trips and having fun!!
We will all be getting fired up soon about Winestock and looking forward to fall.

Just wanted to say hello as I have been kind of out of circulation myself lately.

Ramona

We've been looking for Ramona. Here up north, we got up to 96 deg's one day. Heat Index was 100 though.

Angell,

It is just wierd here. We have barely broken 90 this summer so far....it's ok with me though. Ramona

I've been wondering where everybody is also. Very little activity lately. June was hot here with a number of days hovering at or above 100. I had to replace the pool liner so couldn't use it when it was so hot. After I finally got it and installed it and filled the pool, all it has done is rain and have cold fronts. I haven't been in it once.It is supposed to get to the mid to upper 80's at least this coming week.

Its been hot & humid here! I do know what you mean as this place
has been slow, Not many questions to answer, I think every ones a pro
now and doesnt need much help or its too hot and no ones wants to make
wine. For me its just been a little low on funds to buy kits with the
basement sucking up all my money although I am putting 2 Chocolate
Raspbrr kits on order so I dont miss out on them.

Been in the high 90's here with triple digit heat index. Add all the rain and add the humidity it has been miserable. I have been working days (thank goodness today was last day shift for a month) and it has been kicking my butt. When I get home at around 8PM I take a shower and hit the sack by 9. I log in here every day but most all of the questions asked have been adequately answered. I now will work the next month on night shift so I will be back in my element.

Smurfe,
Have you had time to enjoy a glass of red between shower and bed??
smiley16.gif

Sadly, no. I haven't popped a bottle open in close to a month.
smiley19.gif

Well we are camping, have been since May 18. My kids competitive swim in a town 50 kms away and daughter also works at the pool. Easier and cheaper to just camp, than driving back and forth 2-3 times a day. Our winemaking is definitely taking a back seat. Have three bulk aging, 2 in stage three and one in 2 stage. I get home only long enough to rack. We did manage to bottle one batch last month though. I figure it is not really a bad thing to have bottles just sitting there aging though.

Grant

I just started a batch of tart cherry tonight. The rhubarb is resting in the basement.
100_1085.jpg

Just look at them settingthere enjoying each others company.
smiley36.gif
I just moved the rhubarb into the bigger room and I think I must has sturred it up a little bit.

It is quite warm and humid here at the Cats Meow Winery also. Just finished stabilizing a Green Apple this morning and hope to find enough Blackberries tomorrow to get that batch going. Have two carboys of Muscadine and a Black Currant/Muscadineready to bottle but will probably just let them continue bulk aging for a bit longer. I am ready for fall weather.

It's been great here. Loads of Rain, only just breaking into the 90's. Swimming pool is very usable though unless it thunders. Strange, not much in the way of thunderstorms even with all the rain.

Carol came home from the UK yesterday after three weeks away. (Yeaaah!). Both girls are still living as are the animals so I didn't do too bad a job as Mr. Mom.

Secondaries are full and clearing (Murray River Reserve and a Pinot) Got some good stuff waiting to get started. Nothing to do except the yard (I don't normally have to mow this time of year 'cause it's all burned off) in which there is a lot of work. Trying to figure out how to manage cheese making in Texas when it has to age for a couple of years at 55-60 degrees.

July is the #1 US vacation month, so it is no surprising that things are slow. Vacation for SWMBO and me this year will be Winestock. We're going to Austin the preceeding Wednesday to visit our daughter and her husband, then back to Dallas for Winestock.

I resigned my consulting job for the Navy yesterday, effective today, in favor of a job (the same job) as a government employee. I lost all accrued vacation, but got a 50% raise out of the deal. The new job starts Monday, and I don't even have to clean out my desk!

With apologies to The Who and Pete Townsend: "Meet the new geek. Same as the old geek."

But.....They did get fooled again.
smiley36.gif

I've been busy picking fruit for winemaking.
Then a few days ago I started getting really achy in the joints [figured it was from mowing, bagging and mulching] Then I was getting really hot [so...????....it's summer] Then I started getting chills, covered with goose bumps and shaking uncontrolably...figured I had Lyme's Disease so went to the clinic yesterday morning. They took blood tests, sent one off and the other showed the white blood count was out of whack...she figured I have Erlichiosis...a disease from infected Wood Ticks..like the kind of disease the dogs get from tick bites....Gee.... we vaccinate the dogs..why can't we get a shot???? So I am on antibiotics and starting to feel good again and can type better...the Tylenol helps with the aching.

Had a little tick bite earlier this spring that had the typical ring of an infectedDeer Tick bite...since then have had many tick bites.... A few weeks ago had a big black/purple spot on the back of my leg, thought it was a bruise at first because my whole calf muscle ached like a deep bruise, then realized it was a bite of some sort...

The charms of liking to be outsideall the timecomes with it's throns...they wouldn't treat my poison ivy because the antibiotics wouldn't work well...Poison ivy I can deal with...the the infected tick bite really snuck up on me.Edited by: Northern Winos

Wow, that really "bites" NW. Hope you feel better soon. I was hoping last night I would be able to walk today. My ankle had swollen up for some reason(not sure why). This morning it was fine and I worked out in the vineyard all day pruning. I decided it was training time for the VSP. I had let extra growth go for a while to build root reserves. They were starting to get overgrown so I trimmed them back and positioned the new shoots. I'll post some pictures I took when I get a few minutes.

Again, get better soon. I have missed your usual presence and good cheer.

I feel fine....actually the hot and cold spells would only last a short time, then I would feel perfectly normal...the aching would return as the Tylenol would wear off. I was able to do most everything I normally do, except for the chills...I would be shaking so bad my teeth were chattering and I couldn't even hold a book....then it would pass..and I'd wonder..."what the heck was that???"

A friend's mother had Lyme's Disease...she hadn't been to the doctor for 40 years and self diagnosed.... "the flu"....they tested her for many things...because of her age and not knowing that she is an avid gardener and spends all summer outside..... it took many doctors before any of them did atest for Lyme's disease...she ended up in a wheel chair for awhile, almost a total invalid.

Years ago another friend had a young grandson who was an invalid...[this was almost before anyone knew of Lyme's Disease] they eventually tested and treated with this antibiotic and he is healthy guy now.

A neighbor's son whowas a constant complainer ended up having Lyme's disease...they took him to Rochester Mayo Clinic and even did psychiatric tests before a doctor got the idea to test for this simple thing. He is normal now.

So when I felt these symptoms I went in within 2 days...

Be careful .....it's a jungle out there....Edited by: Northern Winos

I used to spend my summers in the WI woods. Nothing like a good "tick check" 1-4 times a day. And don't forget about our 4-legged friends!

Hope you feel better soon NW!
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back