Gone too long.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker1

Reaction score
Hello all.
Been away quite a while. A whole lot of life has kept me pretty busy.
Shortly after another prominent member had an issue at work and retired on the spot. Stuck working for a miserable heating company I got inspired to find a better employment option as I’m a few years from retirement. Searching and actually finding a once in a lifetime upgrade to my hvac career kept me busy at first.
My daughter had twins, I had a stroke which I recovered from completely. at that time doctors discovered another minor heath issue that I had to have minor surgery to correct. My wife got a knee replacement and I could keep going.
The biggy for me was to discover how much of a sensitivity I have to sulfides. This really took the wind out of my sails. The more I tried to judge tast and smell the less I could.
I checked back in to find information that I originally found here but didn’t write down.

Welcome back. I’m glad life has given you some time for wine. I’m a relative newbie myself.

I guess the best way to find sulfide-free wine is to make it yourself.

Changed my focus to wines that I intend to drink or serve within a year of bottling. I have bees so meads are what I do. Oxidation hasn’t been an issue to this point so initial kmeta to start. minimal racking till clear, bottle and serve. I’m not making grape wine that needs to age in oak to achieve some uptight standard.
Effective, fruity, and sweet.
I started to make wine I like. Adjusting my process so it doesn’t kill me.

I’m not making grape wine that needs to age in oak to achieve some uptight standard.
👍 I have been making grape and fruit wines with exactly one standard… I like it!

My understanding is that higher ABV big reds with tannins are just the ones best suited to resisting oxidation. When my vines start producing I’ll have to give it a try.

Either way, glad you’re back and making wine again.

Latest posts

Back