WHERE HAS EVERYONE BEEN...ON VACATION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll Echo Lennie's wishes NW..Have you ever tried the Avon, Skin So Soft as a repellent. Has worked great for me for years.

Thanks for the suggestion....but...I get the sneeze if I go near anyone wearing Avon...so I for sure haven't tried it.

I don't think anything would repel ticks... I use Bounce or Downy sheetsto keep away mosquitos and that seems to work...also spray loose lightweight shirts with bug spray, that always works for mosquitos....Deer/Horse flies are starting up now.

Bert and I did some camping this weekend. It was so cold on Thursday night he thought his nose got frostbit!
smiley2.gif
By last night it was so hot we had to have the fan running in the tent camper.
smiley5.gif
Big change of temperature. We decided we didn't need to sit around and be miserable at the park, so we packed up early today and were home by noon. Let's hear it for the A/C!
smiley32.gif

Up here we have been travelling around Wisconsin quite abit the last few weeks . I work a 4 on 2 off,5 on 2 off shift so my weekends off only happen every 3rd month.Mrs Chevy and I make sure we make full use of the weekends whencan. We went to upper WI this past weekend. Took the 2 boys to GOD'S country.Drove the logging roads. did some target practise and swam in the river.

As far as the wine making...... we have:

Rhubarb clearing...3gals
White zin clearing...6gals
Cherry in secondary...3gals
Cranberry Chianti....on deck

Tick count after that 3 woodticks...here's a neat tip...To remove them, grab them close to the mouth(next to your skin) with a tweezers and turn "counter-clockwise" they come right out mouth and all.. then I usally kill the with a match or lighter.
smiley11.gif

I don't think the ones we have up here are the ones that screw in, they pull right off sometimes with a bit of flesh in their chops........Ipull their legs off and let them go.

Twist offs huh! I guess the other ones you can use a corkscrew on then!
smiley36.gif

Absolutely amazing...It's July 24th and the temp here this morning is 62 degrees.

Waldo, Lucky you to have an actual breath of fresh cool air. And Swill. Your grapes are beautiful. Isn't it too early?

Ramona

Nice gapes Swill. Ramona, they aren't ripe yet- just reaching Veraison. It will take the average grape 4-6 weeks to finish ripening after the beginning of veraison. It marks the beginning of the final push stage. We are probably 2 weeks from veraison here. Last year it was about the first week of August here for most varieties.

Thanks everyone!
You're right appleman. They are a long ways from beingripe. But I think they are alittle early this year. Up until last year I had just been eating the grapes. But last year we had a bumper crop. My neighbor talked me into making some wine with then. That is how I got started into this. So I really haven't paid much attention to when they started to turn. Guess I will pay more attention from now on

Heading down to Schlitterbahn in Galveston next week I think, then time to make the final push on the wine cellar conversion in the garage (if I can get a reliable electrician). Other than that I got a new position at the same company that keeps me really busy. Have a bunch of wine aging that will be bottled in a hugh party in about 10 days. Then I have to go about filling all them empty carboys.

Update on grapes. Here is what they look like today.
100_1102.jpg

Looking better but still have a ways to go. Here is thebunch I had post earlier.

100_1101.jpg

Edited by: swillologist

Latest posts

Back