when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
I put zest in my Savu blanc, will be trying it in about a week when I rack it. Will update than

zesting

which zest did you use?and how much?grape fruit would have been my choice do to the background of the wine it's grassy,which did you choice?good to see you explore and depending on the amount you used will determine the deration of time for the oils and acids to incorperate into the wine.

know your parteners is a key to all of what we do..pleas let me know how you make out.......also try a cinnamon extract,great with the orange extract and a zinfindel for a holiday wine...keep in touch.

I used a grapefruit and 2 oranges, we can't wait to try it. I will let you know how it turns out. I got the idea from you and I think it will turn out great.

Cloudiness in wine

:sl Cloudiness in the wine may result from improper racking, when sentiment is disturbed and allowed to go into suspension, or from improper clarification, such as incomplete finding or filtering with two course a pad, or a high fruit pectin content. Cloudiness may reappear in it perfectly clear and brilliantly-colored wines during aging. This will happen ones that have not been properly stabilized. Will going to stabilization at another time, to reduce cloudiness, but the sentiment settle to the bottom of the container and then carefully wrapped the wine. This could take some time the patient, the wine can be clarified by finding, using your favorite fining agent, followed by another racking. Always allow a minimum of two or three weeks before racking. Occasionally, the wine can be filtered, particularly if cloudiness persists.

:mny Will also be in the fining agents down the road, pectin may be another source of problems making wine from grapes or fruit. A clear wine with high pectin content because the wine to turn cloudy in the bottle. Even though you may think that it's clear just give it time and it will reappear. Pectin enzymes can be used to reduce excessive pectin and potential cloudiness problems. There's a lot of think about making wine, so take your time we'll go over fining agents , tartaric crystals, sulfur smell, rotten- egg smell, acetic spoilage and acidity high pH. Stay tuned:mnystay tuned

Last edited:
Yep, a liquere about the same as triple sec. Good for straight drinking or to make a marguerita.

I put a tspn of orange zest in one gallon of cabernet sauvignon. After 4 weeks I bottled it. The orange is very obvious to me, not my wife. I think a little less would be better. Or, maybe less time in the bottle. Got to keep experimenting.
I'm gonna try some fast blended blackberry in a diff. gal. of cab this week.

Richard L.

Last edited:
lurker

:iIts not so much the time in mastseration ,its more the amount,the longer in the better the taste,doing small batches should be fun beings you can change of zest depending on the different wines..EX.white with lemon and lime,a red with cinnamon and orange A red with orange and tangerine should be excellent .....think out side the box:br:br

xmas

:sn

1. from lucille and me a very merry christmas to all and ,above all health and happyness...

Happy new year

Well, this is the beginning of 2012 hopefully it will be a healthy and happy new year for all of you.

Let's start when good wines have gone bad for 2012, we covered a lot of territory in 2011 and the still a good amount to cover in 2012 if it anytime there is something that you like to talk about or have a comment on please feel free to chime in , this forum is all about.

The lessons we've covered oblivious cloudy wine, how about that dreadful sulfur smell, the dreaded, common sulfur smell, in problem wines is a result of over-processing sulfites. Is easily detected by its distinctive pungent odor-match smell, and, a high concentration, it can become overpowering. Some people can detected at a level as low as 50mg/l

If the sulfur smell is detected in the fermenter,aerate the wine by successive vigorous racking up to you can no longer detected. If detected in the bottle, aerate the wine I decanting it into another container, and repeat antique no longer detect the smell. In both cases, but the wine/at the bottom of the container. As a rule of thumb, to prevent sulfur smell, try to maintain a normal free S02 level of 50mg/l throughout the wine, except when doing it NLF.

Another odor that I have smell before is that nasty old rotten egg smell a rat in a smell in wines is caused by the presence of hydrogen sulfide may be cured depending on its intensity. If not treated early h2s as easy as it is known only act in the wine to form first intomercaptains, followed by disulfides-both are foul smelling compounds that cause wine to spoil the presence of either compound is generally irreversible in winemaking extensive chemical knowledge and experience and access to analytical laboratory equipment are required. The causes of this canary such as verification from grapes that have been overtreated with sulfur-based chemicals grapes of the prone to the problem prolonged aging of wine in the presence of sulfur deposits in all cases, aerate the wine abundantly by racking it against the wall of the theater to reduce the amount of H2S. Alternatively, or in addition, sulfite the wine at a rate of 50mg/l and then filter to strip it of elemental sulfur. Repeat the process in the three months depending on the problem severity.

Now me myself I have run into this problem before usually not with fresh juice, the one I've used grapes it wasn't too sure what I was doing with accountants that's why trial and error can cost you, but that's what makes it fun the learning process, and brother I have learned. Rotten egg smell is not one of my fortes that I haven't had a problem when I try to play with the acids I've always got myself into trouble, so don't feel alone this is what it's all about.

Last edited:
harleydmn

Well, how did your Sauvignon Blanc turn out, have you tasted again and what was your findings? Looking forward to hearing from.

This is the beginning of a new year for us at the South Jersey winemakers club, the first meeting this year is at my place, we are going to go over zesting, simple syrup, extracts and fpacs both cooked and fresh style I'm going to be using by blackberries, will be using oranges, grapefruit, limes, and coffee beans for making our extracts, along with Everclear and vodka, aside cast of characters are cinnamon and vanilla bean.

As I stated before this year will be moving backward and forward, we not only make wine we make cellos, most of you know if these are and how they are produced but will go back and review these, it's very important that you have a wide palette to work with in the wine business, for those of you purist, don't get nervous when go back to the straight stuff but in the meantime let's have fun, that's what it's all about. Talk to a Monday and let you know how the entire meeting went.... Stay tuned

Remembering your partners

Remember in the beginning we talked about which wines go well with the other, in which wines age best with the other, so how does fining and filtering effect of wine.

Aging can be accelerated by removing the solids young wines. The more solids removed, the shorter the successful age. Of your wine some of the suspended solids and heavier constituents will be removed during the fining and filtering process. Follow the recipe directions, and I would recommend that you use a manually powered filter unit when you filter since you can control the pressure and the speed at which the wine is pressed through the filter pads. Motorized machines tend to filter quickly and can strip away more than needs to be removed, taking the stuffing out of the wine. Other winemakers may disagree. You may find a comfortable middle ground by using a motorized filtration unit that offers multiple speeds, allowing you to filter your wines slowly or quickly. The advantage of motorized unit is that the flow of the wine is steady. Member that any wine kit that requires finding or filtering which is just about every wine kit on the market has been formulated to endure and the wine will eventually blossom, showing its every charm. All you need is a little patience, patience, patience, patience.

Temperature can also play a factor in the aging process of wine: the wine the slower the process, the warmer the wine the faster the process. Kit manufacturers try to take all that worry out of the formula, do is direct I myself, siphon and/or machine process depending on my time frames the amount of solid that deal with in the type of wine I'm trying to process.

Machine filtering, with the wrong type of pad can also play havoc on the finish wine, course, medium and polished filters are the type I use with my mini jet pump. I like the mini jet it does what it's supposed to as long as I follow the rules although there's been times I think it has a mind of its own............................... talk you soon

The partners

Good winemaking starts with a good base, with either a good quality kit or a top end juice or grapes that are picked at their peek, then need to be blended, if they're going to be blended with a partner that is equal in balance, taste and caricatures. In return the two will partner with each other and form a quality blend, this will follow through to the aging process and the filtering process at the end of the wines journey it should all come together.

That's why you should invest in winemaking knowledge, knowing the partnerswhat to blend together how to age them and filter them so that they can be all they can be. However should you run into a problem it's nice to know that you have the time and the materials in your toolbox to know how to manage them, that's why this thread( when good wines gone bad) is here to help you.

Last edited:
Sparkling wine

Dom Perignon

Here's something interesting, a lot of marketing has surrounded the name of this Benedictine monk who, in truth, has about as much to do with the modern champagne as Paul Bunyan does with the average lumberyard . The most famous yarn surrounding him has noble, frail, elderly monk opening a bottle of his famous namesake wine, sipping and proclaiming, I'm tasting the stars!

In truth, pierre perignon was a treasure for the Abbey of hautvillers near Epernay in France. Not only do this position have been collecting taxes for the church and minding the accounts, but also had him managing the Abbey's sellers-wine being an important retail item for the monastery. Part of the taxes were paid in grapes and wine, and where Perignon had an exceptional talent was in the blending wine to improve quality. His still wine sold for twice the price of others in the area.

He also had an excellent grasp of quality control and quality assurance, introducing programs of yield restrictions, scientific pruning and harvest controls. It is true hobbyhorse was improving the red and white wines of the Abbey, although he succeeded more often than not, he was occasionally frustrated by the appearance of a fizzy secondary fermentation in the bottle," spoiling "his perfectly good wine.

Evidence seems to indicate that a marketing minded money minded-Domgrossard-spread the legend of dom after his death. Later carry-ons name was registered as a brand in France, and subsequently was acquired by moot et chandon for your name-famous champagne.

Interesting footnote, I'm going to do a little series on champagne to be continued.................................... see you soon

Women doing men's work

Yeah I know in this day and age that statement can be frowned upon but modern champagne owes a lot to one woman: B]Madame clicquot, nope, dom perignon, was an astute wine blender but the stories about him drinking stars ) adjustment advertising copy. Nicoleponsardin married a vineyard owner named CLICGUOT IN CHAMPAIN IN 1798. When he died seven years later, this shrewd, tough-minded woman took over managing the company. Under her hand, the process of removing sediment from the bottles was developed. The riddling table, necessary to speed the process, was also developed. She also worked tirelessly to develop export markets, even in the face of wartime blockades and Napoleon's drive for French Empire.

These leaps forward, combined with other advances-such as improved understanding of fermentation, increase knowledge of corks and the ability to measure sugar dosage-the two low breakage rates in the superior physique yet sediment free wines we enjoy today.

That's a little about the history of champagne a lot more developments have happened along the way that here was a woman's hand and we'll it also in the man who could mind the store and blend the wine.

Have your tried making champagne, I have read several threads and articles on it, is a dangerous undertaking if not properly attired, and having the knowledge in knowing what you're working with you must have the right tools the right bottles the right corks and of course the right baseline of wine to start with.

Choosing a base wine, you should avoid fruity, each drink kits,. Many although not all kit chaardonays a rather soft and fruity, with most of the structure provided by overpower. They need to make the most appropriate sparkling wine. Anyone keep that comes with fpacs will be a good Candide. Such sweetness usually containing a survey to rent the bottle fermentation. They know, yeast will merely consume all the sweetener, plus all of the sugar you add as well, and will over carbonate the wine. If you thinking using [fpacs kit and leaving the the pack out, be aware that those sweetening packs often contain more than simples sugar. They can also contain acids, rape cases and other flavor components, without which the wine may not taste very complete. Since get those kids and choose a dry still wine instead.

Good candidates include sauvignon blanc, dry Rieslings and anything your kit manufacturer little he describes as crisp or dry. I prefer the Rieslings has all the characteristics I like and works fine keeping in mind that the wine should exceed much more than 11% alcohol to start. Also, okay is a no-no as it tastes awful champagne. Take my word for

To be continued................. you with me so far

Champagne continued

There is a lot to the saga of sparkling wine way too much for me to go into but we do know that sparkling wine will improve tremendously with age. While it may be tempting to drink it all as soon as it is disgorged, try keeping back a few bottles for a year or more. You be delighted with the results.

If you not to really heavy winemaking work the middling freezing popping the cork pairing the wine Copping all these things clean using the right bottles the right cages right corks having all the necessary equipment plus good life insurance. Yes I said life insurance where the very least a good homeowners policy, then you may find that the easiest way to make sparkling wine or champagne if you choose to call it is just to out by already done life-insurance policy homeowners policy, the damages it occurred just tilt the bottle back and enjoy.

sparkling wine POP'S

:dwell we as wine makers live and learn,my friend KITO took his viognier home and added sugar to it ,in a weeks time he stated to me he liked the fizz in the wine,to that I replied WHAT FIZZ,he said the fizz like Champagne taste he developed in his viognier??????well I told him THAT SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING,well this morning I saw him and he said what a clean up he had, 12 bottles poped ,sorry he didn't listen to me ,but now the bottles were in a 3 gallon carboy with k met and settling out,LIVE AND LEARN:HB

Last edited:
Food and wine pairing

:dg WHAT GOES BETTER with a nice plate of a pasta then a nice deep red wine or for that matter. A white wine. Yes, it's all a matter of taste whatever you like but just say you had in front of you nice big stake than just the way you like it, what type of wine would you order then.

:try The whole idea behind matching a particular wine to a certain food is to try to achieve synergy from the interaction of the flavors. You can think of wine is a super condiment. When you slather mustard on your hotdog or squeeze line on your ceviche, it's because the two taste are great together. Not many people eat mustard by itself, or suck on plain limes, but these livers produce a nice synergy combined with other foods. Wine does this as well, but with the added bonus that,,,,, it's one.

:d:sm Matching food and wine, the idea is to get the most of each part of the meal. You probably don't want to serve an old vines Zinfandel with macaroni and cheese anymore then you would serve a delicate riesling with Carolina barbecue. In the first case, the Zen would completely overwhelm the relatively innocuous flavor of the pasta and the chadder. In the second, intensely smoky, barbecue would show show up. The riesling, making it a sweet, and then. The idea is to match the intensity of the food with the power of your wine.

:dgThe big whites would include Chardonnay, sauvignon blanc,. For the Reds is the Big italians borello, amarone and Bordeaux styles at the end of the block refine zinfandels and the Shiraz. These will stand up to the most flavorful and intense foods, such as barbecue ribs, while being, and strong cheeses.......... Food and wine is like a symphony all the players have to go together to create a great ensemble........... talk to you soon, by

Amarone the king of the Reds

:br I was recently was asked, when we were doing the wine and food pairing, what should I have with amarone, my answer to that was it is a stand alone wine, unto itself and needs no other accompaniment. But, if I had to I would serve it with strong cheeses, salamis, olives and crusty bread. That in itself with the amarone would be a meal for me.

:wy:ft Let's discover why amarone is in my opinion the king of the Reds, for the Italians wines. First and foremost the way it is process three distinctive red wine grapes from the Eastern Tuscany region, are left to:r:db partially dry i for about five months, the name amarone, in Italian, literally means (the great bitter,) there's another one- same region from recioto it's a sweeter version of the same wine. This process is called appassimento or rasinate (two dry and shrivel) In Italian, my advice to the person written although he is making his own amarone, was to invest in a bottle of amarone see what it was like it's true state and then try to mirror that, once you've tasted the depth and alcohol, texture and feel on your tongue, amarone in its true form, you will be able to understand why it is really hard to duplicate, but you'll come close. and you'll smile:b

:D Did you know that amarone is the fourth biggest selling wine in Italy, imagine that:b

Last edited:
zesting

:sm good to see that the numbers are good for those who would try zesting....this is a proven menthod to either add flavor or correct a fault...:mny

Back