when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Wine and cheese

A quick word of wine, cheese is warranted: while the phrase seems to be lodged in the collective consciousness of wine to consumers, the two not actually go well together. In many cases, especially with dry white wines and most Reds. Cheese is an earthy-flavored, savory, high-fat, calorie dense food. Finding wine that enhances it is a challenge. Still, your taste may vary from mind and cheese and wine might be your favorite.:hug

All of the above information may be correct, but to be you so we need a quick way of determining which wine to go with food and chose, and vice-versa. The best way to develop a guideline is based on flavor intensity. Although this will work in most cases, your mileage will vary; remember, what you like drinking is the ultimate arbitrator-!:mny

The contents above is a complete, nor does it take into account the often-confusing differences between wine styles names among different manufacturers to help relate to it to its wines you may have already been exposed to from commercial bottles. Wine and food pairing is a craft and the time right and only you can choose what is right for you and the food that you're using at the time,. Hope this gives you a little insight the food and wine pairing.........................:slp

Lemon peel or zest + grappa or everclear= Limoncello

I make it every year. Also make a holiday one called Crema di Limoncello.

If you make the crema style in the summer I use oranges instead and its like drinking orange creme sickle sticks. MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Possibility's

i GUESS i COULD AND HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT,BUT WHAT ZEST WOULD BE THE BEST ,i WAS THING ALONG THE LINES OF A GOOD AND ROBUST SANGRIA,SUMMERS ON ITS WAY AND SANGRIA'S ARE A FUN PART OF THE REFRESHMENT CATEGORY,WHAT SAY YOU?:se

I make it every year. Also make a holiday one called Crema di Limoncello.

If you make the crema style in the summer I use oranges instead and its like drinking orange creme sickle sticks. MMMMMMMMMMMMM

I've put a lot of thought into getting a "Cream" flavor in a wine.. And i've came up with nothing... Can you elaborate, pretty please?

Orange creamsickles are one of my favorites

cream and dream

I think what flame was referring to was a cello,that's like a liquor,and and orange or lemon cream icicle,.:mny

Its a combination of cello and 1/2 and 1/2 some use cream to thicken and create a orange cycle type of fkavor in the cello ,quite nice actually great for all seasons,would you like to know how to prepare?:hug

flame how would you do it ,then I'll give you my recipes,cellos are one of my favorite items to create.:rdo if you followed along when good wines gone bad that's some of what is in the beginning.:se

So, short of actually adding a source of dairy cream to the wine/cello... Theres no other way to come about those flavors?

Would be nice to know the Crema di Limoncello recipe anywho, sounds delicious.

Question

:u QUESTION,HAVE YOU EVER MADE A CELLO?IF NOT THEN THE FIRST ITEM IS TO LEARN THE PROCESS OF MAKING A EXTRACT,(LETS MAKE A ORANGE CELLO CREAM)
INGREDIENTS::tz
ORANGES,PREFER NAVAL ORANGES,THICKER SKIN MORE ZEST,SIMPLE SYRUP ,(LIQUIFIED SUGAR),EVERKLEER OR VODKA,HEAVY CREAM.:ib
:ft OF THESE ITEMS WHICH HAVE YOU EVER WORKED WITH?OR WOULD YOU PREFER I JUST CONTINUE WITH THE PROCESS?MORE THAN HAPPY TO ACCOMMODATE.:h

I havent physically made a cello, no - but i do know the process.

Basically using the zest to enhance the alcoholic spirit, followed with dilluting using simple syrup to the desired taste.

About the ingredients,

Havent made citrus wine yet, so havent worked with oranges.
Havent fortified anything yet, although im getting ready to.
I have made simply syrup, am familiar with the process

Havent used a cream at all. Questions come to mind over this ingredient, but its this facet that dragged my into the conversation in the first place.

- When you use cream, in a recipe - does it need to be consumed in a timely fashion? Or could you wait a while?
- If you wait a while, does it still need to be refrigerated ? Or is the high alcohol/acidic environment enough to keep the cream from spoiling?

Guess it's gonna come down to an experiment on my end...
Cheap Wine + Cream ... Slam it in a bottle with a cork and see what happens :d

Answer

:dbYes to all the above making the extract takes the longest, first zest orange about 8 to 10 of them color only, place it in a ball jar, filled with either vodka or Everclear, let it settle for one month, then start your assembly. First the amount of simple syrup. You will use, that your base, then added your extract, then add the Everclear or vodka, remember it's all to your taste.:b

I think what flame was referring to was a cello,that's like a liquor,and and orange or lemon cream icicle,.:mny

Its a combination of cello and 1/2 and 1/2 some use cream to thicken and create a orange cycle type of fkavor in the cello ,quite nice actually great for all seasons,would you like to know how to prepare?:hug

flame how would you do it ,then I'll give you my recipes,cellos are one of my favorite items to create.:rdo if you followed along when good wines gone bad that's some of what is in the beginning.:se

After making your limoncello or Orangecello. (this should steep for one month, with stirring 2 times a day to help incorporate. After that is done its time to make the crema. The crema is made with whole milk, sugar, and vanilla beans. Its heated to a low simmer for 5 minutes then let cool. Strain vanilla beans out by pouring through a layered cheese cloth. Then add crema mixture to your alcohol. (Your limoncello). The crema thickens the whole thing. I keep mine in the freezer, and when drinking its like drinking liquid vanilla pudding. Its probably one of the most delicious things you will ever drink.
This drink is made in Italy for an aperitif or in italian a digestivo. This year I made from both limes and a batch from lemons. In the summer I use oranges and its like drinking thick orange sickles.
But remeber this is potent stuff, as it is made with everclear or grappa. Which is basically moonshine.
My wife and all her girlfriend who only drink, the typical sugar or sweet wines, go nuts over this stuff. You can google it, or if you like I can post the sugar / milk / vanilla bean mixture ratio.
The vanilla beans this year costed me $80.00 bucks to do a 10 liter batch (approximately) In my opinion thought the vanilla beans should not be skipped. It is what throws the drink over the top.

Vanilla bean

Well it sounds good. However, the cream is supposed to add texture and taste, like an orange circle, but I guess it's according to one's on preference as to what they would like to add ,there is no boundaries. :hug

Well it sounds good. However, the cream is supposed to add texture and taste, like an orange circle, but I guess it's according to one's on preference as to what they would like to add ,there is no boundaries. :hug

Yes it does add both texture and taste. Its a must try, then decide for yourselves. I don't think you will be disappointed

I'm sure the vanilla bean is best but couldn't vanilla extract be substituted?

To extract not to extract

Here's the difference, using pure vanilla extract . The result is flavor . It adds nothing to the back end of the wine in the form of bite, very similar to a fpac........... Madagascar vanilla bean had quite a bit of experience with, both good and not so good, they can be very overpowering you need to experiment with it, has the potential to perfume in wine or make it not palatable.................. if you're making and extract out of it using superkleer , then it makes a wonderful cello, it can also enhance a good wine gone bad ,or, on the other . If you have a good wine, and want to put the personal touch on it, then go right ahead. :dbDAt least that's been my experience, how about yours..................?????????????

Geraniums smell

I had an e-mail and the question was asked by geraniums smell, a good answer to this would be medicine off older and wines is a serious fall cannot be corrected .. This owner is the result of reaction between ML bacteria and sorbate acid, found in potassium sorbate is to stabilize wines by inhibiting the growth of yeast and mold ..:slp

This problem is best avoided by eliminating the use of potassium sorbate in dry wines that will be ML fermented. Because it is recommended to add potassium sorbate to prevent bottle fermentation PRIOR TO BOTTLING.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
My experience is about "O" on the beans. I've used some in deserts but not to enhance the flavor of liqueres or wines. $80 seemed like a lot of money to spend on one component in a 10 bottle batch of the creme liquere. I'm a little on the miserly side as you can see.
When adding the creme or milk to the everclear mixture do you add it in equal amounts so as to cut the everclear by half?

Always in good taste

:try IN ALL CASES WITH THESE TYPES OF PRODUCTS IT'S BY TASTE,AND TEXTURE (YOURS),ALSO TRY A TRIAL SAMPLE USING VANILLA EXTRACT YOU FINE AT THE MARKET,IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE TO WORK .:wy:wy:wy

Judging, give-and-take

:slp HERE'S A LITTLE SOMETHING I WANT TO SHARE WITH YOU. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE ENTERED CONTEST WHETHER THERE WERE LOCAL OR ACROSS THE COUNTRY ,. JUDGING IS A MATTER OF TASTE ..

I KNOW THAT SOME USE HAVE ENTERED MANY CONTESTS SOME USE HAVE ON MANY METALS , AND SUMMER USE MAY NOT HAVE ONE AT ALL , . I FALL INTO THE ABOVE CATEGORY, I want to share with you an experience I had a very large wine competition. I will tell you which one it was BECAUSE I WITH THE JUDGE'S FIRST WANT TO BE SUED, AND REMEMBER WINE JUDGING IS UP TO THE TASTE. SO WE'LL TAKE THE SLOW AND HERE WE GO.

THE FIRST CATEGORY WILL TALK ABOUT IS A PLUM WINE NOW WANT TO MAKE MY PLUM WINE AND USUALLY ALWAYS MAKE IT WITH FRESH FRUIT, SO LET'S KEEP THAT IN MIND. USUALLY IS. IT HAS SET FOR ALMOST A YEAR BEFORE I EVEN THINK ABOUT BOTTLING. SO THAT'S THE STAGE

SO LET'S REVIEW WITH THREE JUDGES THOUGHT ABOUT MY PLUM WINE. THE CATEGORIES FOR CRITERIA WERE AS FOLLOWS, APPEARANCE, AROMA AND BOUQUET, BALANCE, BODY/TEXTURE, TASTE/FLAVOR, FINISH AND OVERALL QUALITY .

THE FIRST CRITERIA, WAS APPEARANCE, JUDGE ON GAMING ON OUT OF TWO POINTS FOR PERIODS HER COMMENT IS GREATCOLOR

JUDGE NUMBER TWO DEBBIE A MAXIMUM OF TWO OTHER TWO WITH THE COMMENT A VERY NICE COLOR.

JUDGE NUMBER THREE GIMME A MAXIMUM TWO OUT OF TWO WITH THE COMMENT OF GOOD DEEP COLOR . SO FAR SO GOOD

NEXT CATEGORY WAS AROMA AND BOUQUET:

JUDGE NUMBER ONE- IN THE FOUR OUT OF FOUR , THE COMMENTS WERE COMPLEX FREE. SO FAR SO GOOD

JUDGE NUMBER TWO GAVE ME A THREE OUT OF FOUR , COMMENT nose BETTER THAN FLAVOR

JUDGE NUMBER THREE- GAVE ME A ONE OUT OF FOUR , COMMENTS WERE, ABSENT OF AROMA BOUQUET .

I GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO REREAD THAT AND THEN COME BACK TO IT .................:slp

Last edited:
Kind of like Supreme Court decisions, you have to take what you get, there is no recourse.

Latest posts

Back