when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Patients...........................

YOUR RIGHT LIKE A COURT DISS ION ,SHOWS THE DIFFERENCES IN PERSONAL TASTE,AND IF YOU GET CONTEST BOUND,YOU TAKE THE VERDICT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT (AS THEY SAY) ...........NOT TO GET OUT OF BALANCE IF RESULTS ARE NOT IN YOUR FAVOR ..........BUT I'll CONTINUE AND YOU'LL SEE HOW THIS PLAYS OUT.:seTHESE ARE SOME OF THOSE THINGS THAT COME WITH TIME.:try ...CONTINUED..................SO THAT IF YOUR NEW TO WINE MAKING AND WOULD LIKE TO ENTER A CONTEST,TAKE THE ENDING AS CONSTRUCTIVE NOT DESTRUCTIVE CRIDISSIUM .:pee

Last edited:
The plum wine saga

Okay we first it aroma and appearance ,the mix. Category is balance
. .Judge number one. 1.5 of a possible three points maximu,, India 1.5. The remarks wer. See but astringent

JudJudge number. gave me one out of three the comments were way to suite for a dry wine category into low in acid to be balance .
Judge number three gave me two out of two the comment was balanced appropriate to type .

So far, I'm not doing so bad in this particular category, let's move onto body and texture .

Judge number one, gave me a one out of two , the comments were velvety and a little acidic .

Judge number two same category game you two out of two the comments were rich and thick

Judge number three game you two are the two rich and luscious................. sicking you see the difference between . The comments between balance and the comments between body and texture a lot of this becomes matter of personal taste ........... That's w at this exercise is all about to show the new people if you want to enter contest the results that come backmay not be what you expect :d . Now we'll going to taste and flavor,taste ,. Two out of four from judge one, comments fruity, including

Judge number two, okay except for the sulfite but still fruity and robust

Judge number three, two out of four , , it's slightly acidic background taste sweet lychees.

Finish,Judge number one two out of two - Judge number two, one out of two, and finally Judge number three two out of two .
Overall, this competition with the plum wine I received a bronze medal ................ Once again ,
if you read all results you see the differences in the judges ,, but it's gratifying just to get verbal results back ... There were 52 wines in this category. J

What does it take to age a wine?

If you follow this thread, when good wines gone bad in most cases, you'll notice that making wine takes partners ,let's take fresh juice. For example. The type of juice partnered with the correct yeast to give it characteristics. Whatever those characteristics are with a smooth , spicy, but ever the flavor notes are the first to partners must stand together .taking a step further blending the wines together creates a complex and if partnership ,in this section were going to talk about first use and/or kit and not grapes............ I don't know enough about grapes..

Some truly remarkable changes occur when wine is allowed to age. Simple initial aromas give way to apanoply of rounded, complex bouquets. Let's take Cabernet for example, you can take a tantalizing, spicy, plummy flavor. Or Riesling can eventually show wonderful, perfumed, tropical fruit aromas with a mineral edge. But not all wines age well. Your wines must be capable aging by their eight properties-they must have the right stuff. Generally wines the high acidity and flavor compounds and, with red wines, high tenors in order to age well. Weinstein potential alcohol also make good age worthy examples. Storage is another aspect of aging gracefully.
Have you ever noticed, notice how sometimes your wines from one year to the next take on a different hue, sometimes the same only doesn't exactly taste or turn out the way he did last year, that's how these partnerships work they work with each other to make the wine better a can also work against each other to make the wine not as good so what does it take to make a wine worthy of time ?.......... to be continued:i

Signing off for a while

:try Well people, it's that time of the year when just before it starts give busy my air-conditioning season I need to take a break ,, so I'll be out of touch for while ,but I'll be back, meanwhile think outside the box .:HB And thanks for staying tuned

Partners in wine

Good to be back, I see that I had just as consistent views of this thread, and I think you. Earlier We talked about aging wine interesting subject very deep compared to the wines we make whether kits or juice or fresh fruit, one thing is consistent you need quality overall product to start with. I Hope you get the meaning of wine good wines gone bad, it's not so much a phrase as it is as a guide and if you look at it as a guide is not how much wine you make it how much wine you make good and that's the difference ,knowing your partners the yeast to the juice, being your own kit maker, the fruit to the yeast ,to the temperature , to types of corks use, the mating of the different characteristics of each wine if you're blending, in which each of them ran out the other, knowing the true characteristics of the wine that you're making to start with really is the essence of when good wines gone bad.. Aging wine is the culmination of all that. Unfortunately for us not all the time do we produce a good bottle of wine, but I think if everyone will take a look at your cellar you would find at least one bottle of wine that you could make different or better if you're truthful to yourself .. I know wineries down here in South Jersey. I have had discussions with, in some cases made batches of jet alcohol ,and these are with a very experienced people ,. So when you read this thread good wines gone bad understand where I'm coming from in a common direct , all these different characteristics of wine making I'm truly not the master of it but I made enough mistakes along the way to understand where I can change, redirect and correct as I go along, if it's not too late. By working in partnership with the wine and not just fermenting grapes or juice or or connecting dots in the kit, this is understanding the basic functionality ,of how to make wine, understanding what I'm looking at this is how a winemaker becomes better-than-average . So once again.. Thanks for following the thread even though I've been gone and will start talking about one characteristics aging wine in a few days ... Thank you .................. and stay tuned..

Last edited:
Have been under the weather

Sorry for the delay in the post just coming off into week bronchial cold ........... will start again Monday. Thank you:try

More about aging of wine

Little is known about the shift in color white wines as they age. What has been proposed is that the eventual Browning of white wines is due to the oxidation of their phenolics or color pigmentation . , Effects of metal ions and formalization of residual sugars . Why wines we begin nearly colorless to light straw and yellow gold and take on many , many Gracie Hughes as they age, and finally become burnished gold, Amber- Brown. Most to me wines, except ice wine and similar sweet dessert wines, will have the capability to become AmberBrown. Ayone can reach an unhealthy, premature Brown if exposed to excessive storage temperatures over the long term. Probably made and stored white wines usually take decades to reach the healthy Amber Brown colors ,far beyond the lifespan of most to me wines, seven the most predictable seven throw off and white wines is crystals of potassium by bitartrate. Rewinds through all of those these crystals to, rewinds through all these crystals to, but they are harder to see because of the presence of other sentiments.. In my experience, these crystals manifest sooner and dryer wines and sweeter ones .generally white ones that have . This is due to the added tens preferred by the bow world chips. The more aromatic whites, such as Riesling and not subjected to either Oak fermentation or maceration. Because these processes wouldn't mess the aromasa and aromatics . Whites affected by noble rot harbor a greater potential for aging and other whites . Whites wines made from botrytis- affected grapes have a much higher concentration of acids and sugars then the non-botrytic wines and can, as a result tolerate extended aging.
To be continued............... does this answer your question/:rdo

Temperature in the aging of wine

Temperature plays a paramount role both in the aging – ability of your wine early on during fermentation and aging of your bottle wines .fermentation temperatures dictate the types of testers that are generated, which directly affect the age – ability of the wine. More favorable esters are formed when popular ferment temperature is maintained. Better varietal character will also emerge. If you follow up optimum fermentation temperatures. Therefore,, controlling temperature of fermenting wine is very important . Below 10° Celsius or 50°F most use will be to slow –or completely inactive – and may give way to a stuck fermentation. Which you often find the question asked here on this website ,above 45° Celsius and 13°F, yeast are too damaged or dead ferment your wine. Cleanly. Wallace temperature seems excessive,. These conditions can occur. Your wine can easily be run in just a few hours, or less if left in this environment . In the upper temperature ranges ,where the yeast are still working – from 27°C or 80°F to middle 32° Celsius or 90°F or higher – some chemical reactions are sped up and can bring want him one of flavor compounds. See too high is no good to Lowe's to the that's why it's always great consultant . They wine chart or wine yeast chart when choosing your type of wine that you are going to make with your yeast capabilities . Also a higher temperature,. Some of the good flavor compounds can be carried away by excessive CO2. The wine can easily end up blowing fruitiness and can smell and taste overly baked. If the fermentation temperature is allowed to rise to a point release virtual, the yeast cells extrude compounds that prevent any subs was yeast from working ,even after the law schools.. As in most cases using the wrong ingredients for the wrong job doesn't work out

To be continued................:slp

White wines

Why wines are particularly fermented a cold temperatures –between 12° and 70°C or 54°F and 63° –then red wines. The lower temperature preserves the primary grape aromatics . With white wine fermentation, there is no maceration of the grape skins with a must. The more aromatic white varieties require fermentation temperatures at the lower end of the range to preserve the perfumed aromatics. Such as Riesling, Muscat and others. Less aromatic whites Chardonnay,verdicchio,muscadet can benefit from fermentation temperatures near to the upper end of the range because they may take a secondary fermentation aromas from barrel fermentation ,, such as vanilla, Oak and buttery characteristics ,and, please contact, which offers a yeasty ,bready characteristic.

So you see, and white wines temperature means a lot consider this when you doing this next batch of white wine the area that you're doing it in actual wine temperature itself type of characteristics are going to achieve ....... to be continued ..:se

Everyone should understand that this topic "when good wine has gone bad" is kind of Joe's personal corner of the forum. He takes winemaking topics and explains them in some detail in his own way. Sometimes (like now) the topic is above my head and I don't understand it. Sometimes Joe's thoughts get ahead of himself and is difficult to understand. I have traded wine with Joe and I can tell you all that JOE MAKES SOME KILLER WINE. He has given me some great advice and I really appreciate that. I have had good wine go bad androids Joe has helped me bring some bad wine back. Thanks Joe, and let me know how I did on that Amarone.

Last edited:
Keep up the good work, Joe. Caps or not caps, you are a great asset and have helped many of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Mike. I enjoy and value Joe's "column" here on the forum. I can always find a few invaluable nuggets that will improve my wine.

Last edited:
MartyYule was continuously disrespectful.
This thread has since been cleaned up out of respect for Joe and the knowledge he shares with us all.

Hope that solves any confusion anyone may be experiencing.

Just to let you all know, i've done some more clean up on this thread. It's the last time i'll be doing this without someone else getting banned. Play nice or you wont be playing here. Considering we're here to make wine, its safe to assume 99.9999% of us are of drinking-age and therefor should be capable of being adults. If you lack the social skills for that, call your parents and inform them because obviously they forgot a life lesson along the way. I've had enough. Grow up and show some respect.

Hey Joe,
Whenever your ready, we're awaiting another one of your lessons to help steer this whole thread back on track.. Enlighten us when you find time, please.

Last edited:
Hey Joe,

Whenever your ready, we're awaiting another one of your lessons to help steer this whole thread back on track.. Enlighten us when you find time, please.
amen manley....i 2nd that....

I have a question about the zesting part, please. I may have missed the answer. So when you go to the zesting to you sterilize the fruit or just rinse them well under water?

What happened?

Sorry, did I miss something? Hope everyone is having great and holiday been very busy with air-conditioning work, haven't had time for myself but you know what they say you have to make hay while the sun shines, and as long as there is heat and humidity in New Jersey I will always be busy .

Tony T it is wine time........ I will get back to you on Monday people have a great weekend ..........:try

Back