when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
I have been watching this thread Joe and I just wanted to say thank you. Can't wait to read more, and learn more! Have a great night!

Starting over

Let's talk about something we all get involved stuck fermentation, question what is the fermentation, stock alcohol fermentation-a condition in which East has not started becoming active or has prematurely ceased converting sugar into the grape juice and alcohol-this is a very common occurrence , it is the result of several different thing, the grapes are too moldy, if you're using grapes, sugar content is too high alcohol content is too high, fermentation temperature is too low or too high, free sulfur dioxide content is too high or lacks nutrients.

A good alcohol fermentation requires a favorable environment for yeast to become active environment to become active and multiple, otherwise, fermentation may fail to start or may stop before completion, resulting in a sweet, low alcohol wine. Stuck fermentation is easily detected by measuring the sugar content guy drum. The specific gravity for SG of a dry wine should be 0.995 or lower. If it is above 1.000 and remains unchanged for more than a day, then you fermentation is most likely stuck.

Remember before we talked about partners in knowing your partners this is a case in point choosing or selecting the correct yeast for the wine type that you're making is very important also using nutrients to support the yeast activity is important in developing the body and the structure of the one as well as alcohol level for the net result is the alcohol at least for me to I enjoy drinking. Depending on the one type that you're making for example. Using a juice that usually develops into a high alcohol wine then maybe Lalvins EC – 118 or red stars premiere curvee is the right type to use remember we also talked about the yeast that you're getting and some of the kits generically may be okay but not exactly the best one well let's what I'm talking about.

Down in my basement, in the summertime and hovers around 68 to 72° in the winter time it go down as low as 62° yet I still have one week going on, anything in that low temperature range can and usually does that's why you have to be aware of the type of yeast using the temperature using it in, the type of wine using it with, all of these elements come together and can cause stuck fermentation, hazing or cloudy wine as well as other types of problems that come along with winemaking.

We'll go into these is short form later but for right now talking Monday................ to be continued.

The question?

How many new winemakers out there and old winemakers have? Or do not have? A hydrometer and if you do have one are you sure how to use this is a vital tool in your toolbox, if you're not sure just ask learning together is with this forum is all about , mysel, knowing how to use a hydrometer still can have a problem, then the question would be, if you have one why a problem? The answer is rushing not letting the wine take its natural course or having the elements interfere, not paying attention to what's going on letting chancetake its course......................................... Even this old winemakers have these problems for various reasons as we continue down the road of winemaking you will see that it does matter if you're a novice or an antique you can still have a problem even with the most expensive set up a working under your sink it can happen any numbe of always THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX....................................................... WILL continue....................

Last edited:
yeast

You know the roller ration out there and if you want to talk about yeast if you go onto lalvins website you'll see a chart that chart has five different type of yeast on it there are, RC 212, ICV D – 47, 71B – 1122, ICV k1v-1116 and EC 1118.

If you take time to read two pages at or actually less better there you read down the columns you'll see which yeast in their opinion is best for the type of wine that you're making like I said before don't be so sure that the yeast that you're getting with your kids is the best yeast to be using, generically then it is the best possible want to use or at least as trouble-free as possible, for their net results. If you're looking at the chart you'll see for stuck fermentation going all the way across 1116 or 1118 are the best use they're also for high alcohol usage. Check out what they recommend for aging reds-RC 212 for young ones RC 212 for age once. The view across the young reds 1122 not so much for age records this information is out there for you, and how to use it experiment with it think outside the box

"now comes the part that takes patience you need to start taking SG readings for at least the next five days make sure no fermentation is restored at that point just walk away don't stir don't do anything to the wine just walk away ,allow at least one month to two months ago by then rack the wine."

Joe, Sunday was a good day. But on subject; why are you concerned about fermentation restarting if the wine is still in the carboy, under a lock? If fermentation restarts, it won't last long and it may increase the alc. What harm will it do?

Richard L.

fermentation revisited

:sn
:sn Its not weather or not it may start,its just being aware of the goings on with the wine ,bottling a supposed still wine and in fact its sg readings may look normal.lets say for a fruit wine which by the way is never totally dry,it could give you a view of false security,and then start re-fermentation in the bottle.
:d:fThere are a lot of times when wine making isn't what it seam to be and just walking away isn't the answer either,being aware is the key ,and even experienced wine makers can be fooled,there's a lot of different factores involved as you well know that affect the wine over the course of time.

:f hope you and your wife had a good time ...see you in january.....jp

Sammyk

what did you find interresting? have you read most of when good wines gone bad?or just the above thread? at a ny rate good to hear from you .

As a newbie, a lot of this is confusing still. I like the idea of zesting though.

Our Myers lemon tree in our greenhouse gave us over a 100 gorgeous lemons last year.

Last edited:
This is the time of the year here in the south when the citrus is ripe and this lasts for about 2 months. Just was wondering if the zest of this fruit can be frozen for later use. I'm not ready to start a batch of wine at this time but it sure would be nice to have the zest on hand when needed.

FYI
I have zest frozen all the time. I however mostly use it for cooking. I would think you could use frozen just add a little more.

Freezing the zest should work and another way is to make an extract by adding the zest to alcohol (I use Vodka) and letting the zest flavor the Vodka. I add this in measured amounts to my wine for a citrus background.

freezing zest?

:sh I don't think freezing zest is a good idea,lets see what were takling about,oranges,lemons and grapefruit the most common or limes,its available all year round and isn't expensive to use fresh ,which is the way it is intended to be used in this application,FRESH IS BETTER,what you want to tap is the freshness of the fruit ,this is not a FPAC,either making a extract out of it or appyling the zest directly in to the wine,FRESH is the only way to go..:br

LIKE a good chef using fresh ingrendients is best

Just made a batch of COINTREAU using the zest of oranges, limes and grapefruit ...awsome!

zesting

:mny good to hear god results,have you read this thread ,it contains fpacs,zesting,and cellos.....thanks for the reply..good to hear fromyou .:i

Latest posts

Back