What's your other hobbies?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a split window. I restored it to just the way it was when I bought when I was 26!

IMG_0451-Copy-Copy.jpg

Love that car! :r

Alot of my time is devoted to Boy Scouts, I am a Assistant Scoutmaster,Quartermaster, high adventure advisor,committee member and just like going on campouts teaching all the boys new skills they will need in the future.

In my spare time I enjoy boating,fishing (mainly Lake Michigan sport fishing ) , biking and family time.

I have been a motorcycle guy for the last 15 years. Cross country rides, group rides, track days and amateur roadracing. Now with a young family I have little time so I just teach motorcycle safety through the DOT.

Every two years I raise money and donate deliver and install solar powered lighting systems to people in need in the poorest countries. Haiti, Nepal and Guatemala. Hoping to go to Africa next year. Really rewarding work and a fun adventure getting around these developing nations.

Winemaking is by far my biggest obsession now! All my spare time and resources are going into it now. I blame all of you!

bowling is my biggest hobby, granted with finances nowadays, i only bowl once a week....other hobbies are pool, darts, and playing euchre (some of you pennsylvania folks should be familiar with that...lol...), but most of these have taken a back burner....mostly just time for work and the family now....

Wildlife habitat is my hobby when I work on my own property, and a profession when I work on other people's.

My favorite and most rewarding part of this is conversion of exotic grass stands to native stands of warm season prairie grasses mixed with forbes.

It's amazing how quickly wildlife moves in to populate these areas.

Converting overgrown forest/wooded areas to more open savanna/wooded savanna areas is also a very cool type of transformation.

And it all keeps weight in check :)

very two years I raise money and donate deliver and install solar powered lighting systems to people in need in the poorest countries. Haiti, Nepal and Guatemala. Hoping to go to Africa next year. Really rewarding work and a fun adventure getting around these developing nations.

WOW...I am humbled! My hat is off to you!

g8keeper said:
bowling is my biggest hobby, granted with finances nowadays, i only bowl once a week....other hobbies are pool, darts, and playing euchre (some of you pennsylvania folks should be familiar with that...lol...), but most of these have taken a back burner....mostly just time for work and the family now....

Euchre is huge in Wisconsin! I play it with my room mates almost every day! Its funny how when I leave Wisconsin I don't find many ppl who even know what it is..

Jogging, 5k races, hunting, fishing, golf, sports with the kids.

Euchre is huge in Wisconsin! I play it with my room mates almost every day! Its funny how when I leave Wisconsin I don't find many ppl who even know what it is..

i know what you mean....being from michigan, it's hard to believe how many people are like "huh....what's that" when you travel...lol...

MOwino... Those are amazing shots. I'm def gunna try a few!

We used to make an awesome Halloween display, but in the past few years, buyers will come to the weigh offs and pay up to $1.00 per lb depending on Color, shape and size, they in turn use them to attract crowds for businesses, Halloween parties (a buddy of mine sells at least one giant pkn to a NFL ball player for his kids Halloween party), or I'll donate them to good causes such as fundraisers for a zoo in upstate NY, or other good causes.
The coolest part is seeing the smiles on young children's faces when they first see them...lol, or driving down the interstate with one uncovered in the back of the truck...lol

Yes, they are from the Dill's Atlantic Giants strain, we actually perform controlled crosses (no bees) based upon genetic characteristics that we want to breed into a cross, it may be Super orange color, or very thick walls, or desired shape.
A lot of pre-planning is necessary, which is followed by many soil test analysis per season, preseason as well as during the season to try to balance the soil so nutrients do not get locked up, these plants and fruit literally will drain a soil of nutrients by season end, not to mention tissue tests during the season in order to determine which nutrients may be lacking, or may be in excess in the plant itself. Growers send me all of this info, I read the report results, make recommendations, and I design fertilizing programs based on their individual needs. Soil biology is one of the biggest factors, not to mention insect and disease control.
Pumpkin plants and grape vines are extremely similar in nutrient needs, they also are susceptible to many of the same pathogens and insects, a lot of similarities.
On average, 40-50 hrs a weeks spent in the patch is common, there is so much to it that I would bore you even more then I just did...lol

If anyone wants seeds to try it out, just let me know.

Tom

Congrats on a great result from this hobby, Tom.
Growing giant pumpkins is quite popular here in Nova Scotia - Howard Dill, who developed these seeds, is from Windsor, a small town about a half hour away. I remember, perhaps 25 years ago, when he grew one about 500 pounds and astounded everyone and it then became a challenge that many took on to grow one of these. I could only manage about 200 lbs but my nephew got one to about 700 lbs - what a struggle that was to get that on the back of the truck to take to the weigh off! Howard died a few years ago but his son carries on the tradition and every fall their farm is opened up to the public. He's become somewhat of a local hero and a statue was recently erected in Windsor recognizing him, not only for his work in pumpkins but also for his other passion of hockey. He has a small pond on his farm, known as Long Pond, that he has claimed to be the birthplace of hockey (there is literature from the early 1800's supporting this). This created a lot of controversy with others from away claiming they were the birthplace, but Howard quietly but persistently presented his case and his claim has been quite widely recognized in the hockey world.
After the weigh off in Windsor every year, there is a pumpkin regatta where the giant pumpkins are hollowed out and paddled across a small lake - it has become a popular event and is a blast to watch. This fall there were 35 entries and for once no one sank!
Seems I got a bit carried away with this, but I wanted you to know something of the origin of these seeds and how they seem to have spawned a whole industry. Howard would be thrilled to see that a 2000 lb pumpkin has now been grown, probably a direct descendant from the seeds he developed from experiments at his kitchen table!
Again, congratulations on your success.

Duggar,
Great post! I am very familiar with the Dill Family, he is a hero to all giant pumpkin growers! When Howard died it was a sad day, but you are correct, Danny does a great job carrying the torch.
The weigh offs are great, and I've been involved in a few regattas...at least on the carving the pumpkin into a boat end of it...I am way to large to fit in one...lol.. I usually go to the Cooperstown NY weigh off, followed by a weigh off near Scranton PA and then RI.
I was at Topsfield when Ron Wallace weighed the 2009 lb World record, Ron is a personal friend and he credits it all back to the Dill family as well!
Thanks again for the kind words, what a small world it is!
Tom

I love to do a ton of things talking is one of my favorite things to do, after that its artwork either on paper or on the computer. I love to alter images,do wallpapers of any type for computers.
I collect all kinds of stuff cards,comics, glass, old house and farm implements in other words most everything,oh specially glassware.
The one thing I enjoy more than anything is my wife, she is my pain and I so love my pain, she is always first no matter what.

I enjoy smoking meat, then eating it! Good hobby!
DSC06979.jpg

I built my golf cart... and love playing golf. Another good hobby.
Golf Cart 2.jpg

I enjoy relaxing in this while sipping on what make in the house. I call it "sip and soak"
IMG_0316.jpg

We've got a 33' 5th wheel in the country where we enjoy some of our weekends, so I guess you could call that a hobby
DSC06866.jpg

And I love the Jeep and where it can take me. Love to trail ride
DSC06437.jpg

And I love wine making!!! I've probably missed something.

Latest posts

Back