What's your other hobbies?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, it's a pretty diverse crowd we got here. Lots of people seem to have some common interest though, like fishing, aquariums and chess. It's always interesting to see what others are doing. 1400 LB Pumpkin WOW! That's awesome!

Here are a couple of my trick shot videos, needless to say it's the product of a wasted youth!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxTd-KYun4&list=UUy4cxH-hw4bNNRcg0jy9IYQ&index=5&feature=plcp[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc688MYrgDc&list=UUy4cxH-hw4bNNRcg0jy9IYQ&index=4&feature=plcp[/ame]

Anyone here play chess online? I would like to play some but I'm not really that good.

Chris

I enjoy chess & pool/billiards... Better at the first than i am at the second, but i enjoy them both... Just never have the opportunity to play lol

Wow, it's a pretty diverse crowd we got here. Lots of people seem to have some common interest though, like fishing, aquariums and chess. It's always interesting to see what others are doing. 1400 LB Pumpkin WOW! That's awesome!

Here are a couple of my trick shot videos, needless to say it's the product of a wasted youth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxTd-KYun4&list=UUy4cxH-hw4bNNRcg0jy9IYQ&index=5&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc688MYrgDc&list=UUy4cxH-hw4bNNRcg0jy9IYQ&index=4&feature=plcp

Anyone here play chess online? I would like to play some but I'm not really that good.

Chris
wow great video:spm

smoking food--making sausages--just starting beer-motorized 2 wheels--gizmos to run my mashing automatically--magician.

I have a 63 corvette that I bought in 1969. I have restored it and cruise around in it to cruise ins.

I live on a lake in Florida where I Boat a good bit with lots of friends who live close by. I also have a home on a very small lake in Alabama. Whether I like it or not, I spend a lot of time keeping up those places.

Running (I spent ~4 years trying to qualify for the olympic trials)
Shooting (shot competitively in college)
Hunting
Lots of outdoor upkeep - vines, berry bushes, gardens

With 3 little kids, none of my hobbies...including winemaking...get the time they used to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxTd-KYun4&list=UUy4cxH-hw4bNNRcg0jy9IYQ&index=5&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc688MYrgDc&list=UUy4cxH-hw4bNNRcg0jy9IYQ&index=4&feature=plcp

Chris
Cool videos!!

I guess a pic to show how big a 1401.5 lb fruit is would have been nice eh?....LOL

These fruit grow between 20-45 lbs a night!

Tom

P9240007.jpg

scale.jpg

Wow Tom, that pumpkin is insane!!!!! So what do you do with it after the competition?

I also make beer, only from extract kits though, nothing local for all grain, and I love photography.

Tom, Holy smokes, now that is a pumpkin!!

I have a 63 corvette that I bought in 1969. I have restored it and cruise around in it to cruise ins.

I live on a lake in Florida where I Boat a good bit with lots of friends who live close by. I also have a home on a very small lake in Alabama. Whether I like it or not, I spend a lot of time keeping up those places.

olusteebus, is it a split window or a convertible?

Wine making,Bible study, scuba diving, harley riding, and skydiving Ive done and am trying to make it my next hobby.

Winemaking has kinda taken over lately, but I also enjoy (indoors) reading, playing video games, and spending time with my wonderful wife. (Outdoors) I love snowboarding*, kayaking, hiking, biking, ATVing (my avatar), and camping.

*I can't wait for the snow!!! That's me at Snowshoe, WV last year!
IMG_5294.jpg

I guess a pic to show how big a 1401.5 lb fruit is would have been nice eh?....LOL

These fruit grow between 20-45 lbs a night!

Tom

Thats INSANE!!!!!!!! 20 -45 lbs a night, wow! Is it a special variety of pumpkin or growing style or what?

Wow Tom, that pumpkin is insane!!!!! So what do you do with it after the competition?

We used to make an awesome Halloween display, but in the past few years, buyers will come to the weigh offs and pay up to $1.00 per lb depending on Color, shape and size, they in turn use them to attract crowds for businesses, Halloween parties (a buddy of mine sells at least one giant pkn to a NFL ball player for his kids Halloween party), or I'll donate them to good causes such as fundraisers for a zoo in upstate NY, or other good causes.
The coolest part is seeing the smiles on young children's faces when they first see them...lol, or driving down the interstate with one uncovered in the back of the truck...lol

That's INSANE!!!!!!!! 20 -45 lbs a night, wow! Is it a special variety of pumpkin or growing style or what?

Yes, they are from the Dill's Atlantic Giants strain, we actually perform controlled crosses (no bees) based upon genetic characteristics that we want to breed into a cross, it may be Super orange color, or very thick walls, or desired shape.
A lot of pre-planning is necessary, which is followed by many soil test analysis per season, preseason as well as during the season to try to balance the soil so nutrients do not get locked up, these plants and fruit literally will drain a soil of nutrients by season end, not to mention tissue tests during the season in order to determine which nutrients may be lacking, or may be in excess in the plant itself. Growers send me all of this info, I read the report results, make recommendations, and I design fertilizing programs based on their individual needs. Soil biology is one of the biggest factors, not to mention insect and disease control.
Pumpkin plants and grape vines are extremely similar in nutrient needs, they also are susceptible to many of the same pathogens and insects, a lot of similarities.
On average, 40-50 hrs a weeks spent in the patch is common, there is so much to it that I would bore you even more then I just did...lol

If anyone wants seeds to try it out, just let me know.

Tom

Last edited:
Beautiful car, Olusteebus. I am at Hilton Head on vacation and today I went to the Concours d'Elegance at the car show here. They had two splits, both FI'd. I was happy that a Packard (1905 Brass) won Best of Show. There were some very nice cars here. I saw what was my first car (black 1958 Impala Convertible). Brought back some great memories.

Latest posts

Back