What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In San Antonio spending time with my folks who are getting up in years these days. Had a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. I raided the cellar and brought wine for my siblings to take home as well as some great bottles to go with dinner. Had a 2012 EFESTE Evergreen Riesling, a 2010 Sea Smoke "Southing" California Pinot Noir as well as a 2010 Evening Land Seven Springs Willamette Valley, OR Pinot Noir. All 3 bottles were fantastic and disappeared over the afternoon.

It was great to spend time with family!

IMG_0801.jpg

2015 Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau which I enjoyed with grilled lamb chops and sautéed cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

A sample of my Dornfelder batch from this September. Only been on the oak for 10 days or so, but it is already complementing the flavor. There is a lot of dark fruit but an almost herbaceous twang in the aftertaste that the oak is muting (or possibly age is too).

It is extremely smooth (went through MLF) and I'm thinking of possibly adding a small amount of Tannin Complex to the three gallon carboy and leaving the five gallon one as is. I'm trying to use opportunities where I have a batch in two distinct carboys and tweaking a variable in one carboy and leaving the other as the control. Experience is the only way I'll ever learn. Just trying to speed up the process since I have such a sloth like mind at times.

Thursday night and sometimes you just need a little bit of The Devil You Know to get the weekend started....... ::

IMG_0848.jpg

I think I'm going to eventually regret all of the things I've had in my glass today, probably tomorrow morning when I go for my walk, or as I'm snoozing during the pastor's sermon...here is a rundown:
Several glasses (22 oz) of Yorkshire Ale on tap (now 10 months old I think), wonderful malt and laid back hops; Two glasses of a Serviceberry mead that a work buddy of mine graciously gave to me; One large glass of Nobel Vines 337 Cab Sauv; 1/2 bottle (so far) of a Chilean Pinot Grigio (thanks JohnT, the acidity is very well balanced with the flavor, just wish I had hidden more). Not sure what is next, probably should be in bed at this point, but it's not even 7 pm.

It was a Funky kind of evening yesterday.

371300.jpg

Watching the Frank Sinatra special, so a little Jim Beam BIB. Sorry, wine just wouldn't work.

Go big or go home. 2009 Gorman Evil Twin. 70% Syrah, 30% Cab Sauv. All from Red Mountain. 95pts WS. Amazing from first to last savored drop........

IMG_0849.jpg

Back