What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also opened a Cline Syrah, which was tres bon marche. It is pretty yummy. Bold, gamey, and rich.

An old joke goes:
Q: What's the difference between a case of Syrah and a case of syphilis?
A: You can get rid of a case of syphilis!

However, I don't believe it for a minute. Loving my new-world Syrahs!

Hey-hey! Look what I found in the cellar! A refugee bottle of Panama Red, the winner of the first-ever Winemaking Talk (Unofficial) Wine Contest. What was that, 2-3 years ago? I thought this stuff was long gone. Tastes smooth...

Jim, Do you have, or know where the recipe for this one is? Thanks!!

LOL Yep.

429576.jpg

horsepower-wine.jpg

SofH%2016.jpg

1356649274_6678_375x500.jpg

My 2012 Peach. It was the first wine I made from fresh fruit. It was pretty decent, but starting to go downhill a bit. Drink up!

A bottle of Crane Lake Petite Sirah 2013. Stopped by the local state store and asked for a good wine for making a London Broil marinate for my wife's b-day dinner today. She picked this bottle from the bottom shelf and warned me that I may be back to buy a few even if I'm not cooking another London Broil. At all of $6.99, it's a bargain. Marinated the beef and had enough left over to marinate me!

2009 Bookwalter Foreshadow Cabernet. 93pts WS. STill very fruit forward. Loads of currants, plum, expresso, sage. Perfect oak and acid. Paired very well with a couple of T-Bones from a 1/2 cow we went on from South Dakota. Grilled in the rain no less on the Webber with charcoal and a nice stick of pecan wood for added flavor.

616y7K31t6L.jpg

2009 Bookwalter Foreshadow Cabernet. 93pts WS. STill very fruit forward. Loads of currants, plum, expresso, sage. Perfect oak and acid. Paired very well with a couple of T-Bones from a 1/2 cow we went on from South Dakota. Grilled in the rain no less on the Webber with charcoal and a nice stick of pecan wood for added flavor.

616y7K31t6L.jpg

Pecan and beef are great partners.

Tonight, its my En Primeur New Zealand Pinot Noir. They no longer offer this (now it is a Chilean). Mine is still pretty 'un-good' at 22 months. I did an EP Amarone about a month after this one that is MUCH better. This one is just tart. Very tart. I even sweetened a glass and despite the sweetness, the tart still shines on the finish. Really disappointed in this one. All the other EP or LE RJS kits I've done have been very good though. This one just reminds me of a $12 Pinot Noir. I've never had a Pinot at that price point that I've enjoyed.

After dumping part of my Pinot Noir last night, I'm having a Cabernet Franc from Harford Vineyard tonight. Very tasty! I picked this bottle up after doing some tasting up there when I picked up my grapes last fall.

Enjoying my first full bottle of "Sem-Sauv" as it's called down under! Only 5 months since it's Born on Date. Really nice acidity all on it's own. Loads on citrus notes especially lemon. Nice minerality from the SB. Nice mouth feel from the Semillon. No oak, no f-pack, nothing to hide behind. Fruit and nothing but the fruit. This should pair very well with seafood, poultry and pork. Love the RQ's as they always have interesting white blends that you would never have a chance to experience otherwise.

IMG_0073.jpg

got home,
eased into my recliner,
opened a bottle of my 2012 cabernet,
and put on bbc america (star trek)
got wife picking up a great pizza.

so,
wine snob needs.. check
the nerd in me needs....check
my (too large stomach) needs.. check
my lazy needs... check
work... what the f#@k is that?