What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Easter dinner, we opened a bottle of Amarone de Valpolicella. (Conte di Bregonzo, 2011.) This was a Trader Joe's deal, something like $20 or $25. It was really yummy. Tasting notes: "Luscious, berries, rich, leather, great mouthfeel, tangy, creamy, bright." Some of those descriptors sound contrary to me, but they all fit! :dg

Apple wine from my very first successful batch, started in November and just bottled today. By next autumn, it will be very good. :h I need to get a batch of DB going so I will have something ready for summer.

Finally coming around, huh?

It was good at a year, and 18 months, but needed more time. The EP Pinot that I started about a month later has been a different story, however. This Amarone though, is excellent.

I have a Zinfandel tonight. Have been sampling different varieties between me and my wife to rule out which ones we make and which ones we don't. Unfortunately, the ones she doesn't like I do, and vice versa. Oh well, at least we can make up a list from favorites to least favorites, with a break to do ones that one of us likes, but the other doesn't like so much.

Maybe now I'll finish the Zinfandel bottle since I'm now in charge of laundry. My wife found head lice on my 7 year old this evening. Time for stuffed animals in bags and lot's of laundry. Oh bother (daughter is watching a Pooh video to help make it through all the combing).

Cheers.

Started with a triple berry and peach DB (dubbed Peach Melba), Now finishing with a little toasted caramel port.

gonna ease back in my favorite easy chair (leather and like sitting on a cloud), sip my way through a bottle of my 2014 Chilean cab, and toast the end of lent!!!!

Tonight, I had another oldie-but-cheapie. A 2005 Gallo of Sonoma Reserve Cabernet. This was a label that Gallo put out in the mid-to-late-2000s to go more upmarket. It was a decent $10 bottle of wine at the time. 10 years later, it is quite nice. Probably past its prime, but very smooth and soft with wonderful, if somewhat muted, flavors.

I made my Dad's BBQ Sauce recipe that calls for Beer.

He always said the cook needed some too.

Santo Beer  Resized 400.jpg

Finishing the bottle of Zinfandel from the other night. Just started doing laundry, again, since we found lice in my 9 yr old son. He's not as happy with the situation as he was when his sister was enduring the relentless combing from my wife.

At least weather underground is showing 75 deg here tomorrow. Need to get more yard work done since I'll be out of town the end of this week and the weekend.

2014 (though the label says 2013) LE WineXpert South African Shiraz/Cabernet. Only 10 months old, but pretty enjoyable already. They nailed the 'style'. Or maybe I should take credit and say I did. :)

2012 Barolo, shared with the wife then a 2013 elderberry. The Barolo was excellent, the elderberry........ passable. Honestly my first batch of elderberry was my best one so far! I really wish I could remember how I made it. I have 3 bottles left, one will be opened on my birthday this year and the other two will be consumed next year. It was made in 2010 and is still my favorite wine!

2014 (though the label says 2013) LE WineXpert South African Shiraz/Cabernet. Only 10 months old, but pretty enjoyable already. They nailed the 'style'. Or maybe I should take credit and say I did. :)

Agreed. Ours is just over a year old, we've tried two bottles over the past couple months, very impressed so far.

Latest posts

Back