What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also did pizza tonight. Our local takeout place is quite good. I'm relaxing now with my Aug 2012 Cellar Craft Sterling CA Syrah. This one had dried cherries and blueberries and a banana added to the primary. I used CLOS yeast. It got a good dose of oak and Tancor Grand Cru tannin. I gave it a second dose of tannin, more oak and some tellicherry peppercorns prior to bottling. I over did the pepper a bit. It has fallen back a lot, but is still there. Despite that, this is a real nice wine. No kit taste whatsoever. Proof that mid-high end kits really benefit from 2+ years of aging.

Edit: Interesting. I went back through my tasting notes and realized that the last time I had this one was one year ago yesterday. Just for fun, here's what I wrote: "Pepper is falling back and fruit is coming forward. The pepper is still strong, but this wine is lush, with great body and legs. Dark fruit, smoke, pepper (obviously). It has taken a while, but looking like it'll be worth the wait in the end."

Last edited:
Cayuga wine, at a winery in Wallingford with the wife...life is good..!! [emoji4]

ImageUploadedByWine Making1430521886.637614.jpg

2008 Mark Ryan Wild Eyed Syrah. 100% Red Mountain fruit. Even after sipping on it after 45 min it just keeps expanding and giving me different different notes and flavors in my mouth and nose. I cried just a little when I realized I would never make a wine this good...... :(

2006+Wild+Eyed.jpg

Watching Yankee v Red Sux (best rivalry in sports)
Had a cream ale home brew then a great founders centennial ipa (bought it because I am growing centennial hops)
ImageUploadedByWine Making1430530483.503625.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1430530501.819082.jpg

Having a bit of what, by my lights, is an insane beer. It is a Sprecher Imperial Stout, but it is then aged in oak Bourbon barrels for 2 years. It comes out to 12% ABV, to boot. Its flavors are rich and complex. Honestly, half a bottle is enough -- I have taken to splitting them with my wife.

A glass of Nederburg's Baronne blend 2012. Very nice bled from my favourite south african vineyard

Finished this bottle off tonight and to my surprise found this at the bottom of my glass. Now, I am one who loves some good grit and funk and the end of the bottle (port) but this looks kinda like bentonite. [emoji46]ImageUploadedByWine Making1430690508.162506.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1430690545.209757.jpg

Neeeeeext...ImageUploadedByWine Making1430690734.901843.jpg notice the trellis? Yup, three more years and I'll be making petite pearl. Three loooong years. Hmm

Horton Vineyards (orange county, VA) 2013 Viognier. They do quite well with this varietal.

2007 Bookwalter Protagonist. The last of my first venture into super high quality WA State wines. 93pts WS and just been sitting in the cellar for the last ~5 years waiting for the right moment.......

Red Mountain, Red Mountain, Red Mountain.......

Does not suck. :)

00rbm18bbvqbd_375x500.jpg

Mike,

Can I become you indentured servant? I can cook, clean (even toilets) and will dust your bottles in the cellar if you give me a glass of what you are drinking every night. You also need to educate me on what your drinking every night. Deal?

Finished this bottle off tonight and to my surprise found this at the bottom of my glass. Now, I am one who loves some good grit and funk and the end of the bottle (port) but this looks kinda like bentonite.

I'd imagine it's plain ol' potassium bitartrate (wine diamonds, cream of tartar). Was there something that made you think it wasn't that?

No, just didn't look like the diamonds I get from home wine. However, I have nothing 5 years old so it could just be they were more stained from the wine.

Kingston Estate South Australian Petit Verdot 2014. ($18.99CAD)

My first try of PV, and I really liked it! So did the Hubster, so I'm checking out some kits to see if any might match up.

The 18 mos. wait was up on another kit. Opened a CC Showcase Old Vines Zin. This was my 4th kit ever, and I was still making some errors at the time. It is quite pleasant. A bit tart. Fairly fruit-forward, of course. Noticeable but nice astringency. Still a hint of KT.

Tonight I opened one of my 1st fruit wines to share with a good friend on an apprehensive evening

blueberry wine.jpeg

Winexpert has a Selection International Australian Petit Verdot with a grape pack.

Probably won't find a better matchup unless you buy fresh grapes!

Kingston Estate South Australian Petit Verdot 2014. ($18.99CAD)

My first try of PV, and I really liked it! So did the Hubster, so I'm checking out some kits to see if any might match up.

Back