What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can personally attest that the bottle to the left is GOOD. That Nebbiolo is probably wonderful but the Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, particularly that brand, is awesome

I made a nice Italian dinner, so I was jonesing for a nice Italian wine. Coincidentally, I almost pulled the trigger on a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo from my cellar. I also considered a cheap (i.e., Trader Joe's) Ripasso Valpolicella. But in the end I settled on a Rosso di Montalcino. It was pretty dang tannic, but was what the doctor ordered!

Buffalo chicken sandwich tonight, so I wanted something a little sweet to go with the heat. Pulled a bottle of the old cucumber melon sauvignon blanc outta the fridge. Tasty.

Montepulciano is one of my favorite go-to everyday wines. It is made in my family's region in Italy so maybe I am a little biased. I plan on making a batch of it this coming year in the cellar.

LOL, working from home does magic, doesn't it?
I have lunch around noon and the wine is right there waiting for me. :)

Been working from home for about 20 years. Most productive years f my working life. and then having the occasional glass of wine at lunch-time is a wonderful side benefit.

Broke out one of my '15's last night. I did two different blends of Cab/Syrah/Petite Sirah - 1 that I preferred and 1 that my Dad preferred. I sampled mine last night. I need to hide them from myself as they are getting too tempting.

I can personally attest that the bottle to the left is GOOD. That Nebbiolo is probably wonderful but the Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, particularly that brand, is awesome

I have some of that Montepulciano D'Abruzzo. My grandfather, the old winemaker, was from Abruzzo. I think it will be even better in another year or two. Still a bit edgy. Hope you are saving some back.

Ancient Peaks was recommended to me by an oenophile friend who has the luxury of living in California and visits the winery. I had a very hard time getting it shipped to TN; the winery will not ship here. But perseverance pays off.

So, last night, it was Ancient Peaks Merlot. This is a silky smooth merlot, densely lush, with a rounded nose and berry notes, complimented by a soft nose, with a semi-dry finish.

Midweek, it was Ancient Peaks Zinfandel. That has a bold approach with a peppery flourish, broadening to raspberry and blackberry, and a full and enticing nose with a semi-dry finish. It shows more of the minerality of the terrior than the other two.

Last week, it was Ancient Peaks Cabernet Sauvignon. Full on the palate, it evokes black pepper, then blackberry and a touch of leather in a dense and satisfying semi-dry finish.

All three wines are absolutely beautiful to look at in the glass. I guess the fact more bottles of the Zin showed up today belies which I like best. I found it for $13.99 and free shipping. How could I resist? But all of these wines are very good selections in their price ranges and even would stand well at a higher price point. I felt like I was drinking a much more expensive wine.

ancientmerlot.jpg

Just tapped a keg of a Boddington's look alike. Color is a bit dark for a Boddingtons. A bit bland compared to the higher end IPAs I've been drinking lately, so I threw in some dry hops (and a penny to sink them in the bag). Coming around nicely, surprise that I can detect a change in the aroma just a few hours later.

2-10-18_beer.jpg

Back