What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a good (IMO) Argentinian Malbec I am presently sipping, with a nice open, smooth approach followed by a tannin-laced structure that's present but not overwhelming at all and a semi-dry finish, if you happen to run up on any. This is the 2013.

malbec.jpg

One of my oldest homemade wines. I have one left, and one of the Carmenere from the same vintage. Mellow - nothing overpowering. Subtle notes of dark fruit and black pepper. Very nice body and mouthfeel, but just a tad light. 13% ABV. This was my first non-kit wine - juice bucket with a lug of grapes.

Attachments

• IMG_6237.JPG
    IMG_6237.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Just tried that 2015 OVZ from Costco.
At first when I sniffed the glass something told me it has a high ABV and that it would overwhelm its taste.
However, at 15.5% it really doesn’t taste hot at all, it is balanced and smooth going down the tube. I’d buy it again.

Just tried that 2015 OVZ from Costco.
At first when I sniffed the glass something told me it has a high ABV and that it would overwhelm its taste.
However, at 15.5% it really doesn’t taste hot at all, it is balanced and smooth going down the tube. I’d buy it again.

Perhaps a touch of residual sugar smoothing out the ABV?

Get a SG on it and report back.

A hot (high alcohol) wine is best served on the cool end of the serving temp scale. As it warms up you will definitely get more of the alcohol in the nose and on the palette.

I think it has a tiny hint of it but really good and balance.

Get a SG on it and report back.

A hot (high alcohol) wine is best served on the cool end of the serving temp scale. As it warms up you will definitely get more of the alcohol in the nose and on the palette.

I actually thought about that yesterday but was too lazy to go and do it.
I'll check tonight when I get home.

I mentioned this in passing in the "Dinner" thread, but another glass is telling me to post it here. I opened a bottle of a batch of CC Showcase Amarone, which is now ~3 years old. This is shaping up very nicely. In fact, I also have a batch of CC Amarone that was one of my first wines, so about 4.5 years ago, and this second one is nicer. The only tweaks to the second one is BM45 and about 8 g of FT Tannin Rouge in primary. It is drinking like a $20 bottle. (I am a harsh critic of my wines, and few of them surpass the ~$10/bottle range.)

Here's me in my Caduceus T-shirt from a few years back LOL The Winery ships to LA so if your really interested....... For a few years they were sourcing a LOT of grapes from NM and the bottles were labeled as such. Looks like they are back to AZ now. I think they lost a boatload of vines (to cold wether) and had to start over.

DSC4194-27-e1472441988541.jpg

Ahhhhh, memories........ wifey and I visited Caduceus while we were in Sedona for a week of hiking / vacationing. Really cool place up on the side of a mountain in Jerome. Just might have to search up a few bottles, how was that one?

Ahhhhh, memories........ wifey and I visited Caduceus while we were in Sedona for a week of hiking / vacationing. Really cool place up on the side of a mountain in Jerome. Just might have to search up a few bottles, how was that one?

All fanboy stuff aside, It's really good. I'm in their wine club so I get 4 cases a year. So far I havent had any that I've been disappointed in. They're pricey but the wine is pretty damn good. I've been up to Jerome once. The wife and I stayed there for a few days. Drank lots of wine up there. Would love to go back to sedona and make a day trip to Jerome (and not the reverse)

Here's me in my Caduceus T-shirt from a few years back LOL The Winery ships to LA so if your really interested....... For a few years they were sourcing a LOT of grapes from NM and the bottles were labeled as such. Looks like they are back to AZ now. I think they lost a boatload of vines (to cold wether) and had to start over.

DSC4194-27-e1472441988541.jpg
I looked through their site this morning and have a few wines in sights, we liked their wines when we visited, just haven’t thought of them in years, will probably get a few of their wines shortly, Tempranillo, Tuscan blend, and Bordeaux blend. Also eyed up the 6 bottle wooden cases from a few years back.

Latest posts

Back