What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't speak Italian, so take this with a grain of salt. However, that seems almost calculated to confuse things. There are at least two common Italian wines with "Montepulciano" in their name. There is wine from a grape named "Montepulciano," which is most famous from the Abruzzi region in SE Italy. In addition, there is a town in Tuscany called "Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, which is considered one of Italy's top handful of wines. Alsp, there is Brunello di Montalcino, which come from a nearby, small town in Tuscany called Montalcino, which is very close to Montepulciano.

"Brunello" means "little brown one" and it refers to the fine Snagiovese specimens grown in and about Montalcino. I do not know what "brunellesco" means, but it seems a little close for to the wine known as "Brunello."

I don't speak Italian, so take this with a grain of salt. However, that seems almost calculated to confuse things. There are at least two common Italian wines with "Montepulciano" in their name. There is wine from a grape named "Montepulciano," which is most famous from the Abruzzi region in SE Italy. In addition, there is a town in Tuscany called "Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, which is considered one of Italy's top handful of wines. Alsp, there is Brunello di Montalcino, which come from a nearby, small town in Tuscany called Montalcino, which is very close to Montepulciano.

"Brunello" means "little brown one" and it refers to the fine Snagiovese specimens grown in and about Montalcino. I do not know what "brunellesco" means, but it seems a little close for to the wine known as "Brunello."

I'll admit, it was a little confusing at first. I will say it was clearer on the wine list. There was no doubt I was NOT getting a Brunello.

Well, dang! You guys are making me thirsty.
Jim, get with the program, first drink is on me (burrrrrrp)!

Sampled some fine wines in progress from @jgmann67's wine cellar. I think he was trying to get me pulled over for a DUI (just kidding, I pretty much behaved myself). Interesting seeing one of his extended maceration projects in action. Might have to think about trying one of those!

I'll admit, it was a little confusing at first. I will say it was clearer on the wine list. There was no doubt I was NOT getting a Brunello.

Though mine is of a different brand than Jim's, it too is made from the grape. Having emigrated from there, my grandpa, the old wine maker, would I hope approve.

G&G DiIULIO.PNG

Well, dang! You guys are making me thirsty.

You better get it in before Lent starts buddy!
I went with Chilean Cab to get my head in the zone approaching spring. Plus I thought the burlap was cool.
But the plastic cup just feels horribly wrong. I found some plastic wine glasses at Wegmans that you would never know weren’t glass but keep forgetting to bring em over to the house/jobsite. I pretended to trip and drop them and had the cashier and my wife both shriek as they fell. Got em!

How is it and how it compares to the WE LE Rose?

Which WE? What I'm drinking tonight is the Passport series from last year.

If you're talking about the Sauvignon Blanc Rose, the Passport is better (for me). Fully dry, where the WE was basically a Sauvignon Blanc with an fpac. I really like it, but the Passport is more my style.

My wife and I went to a tasting of Mauro Molino Barbera and Barolo wines today. On my goodness, if I could ever make a wine as good as any of these I would die a happy man. We had our bottles signed by the winemaker. We bought two Barbera, one for Valentines Day, the other for some time in the future. One Barolo which I hope to save for our 10 Year Anniversary in 2020. I would like to make it last until 15, but I doubt my wife will allow that.

A WE Selection Brunello, aged 2 years before bottling. Craig dropped of a 375 taster and a 750 for the basement.

Craig's wines typically leave a light co2 fuzz in the glass immediately after opening. Not sure what that's from, especially since this one sat in bulk for so long. At first I thought it might be star San, or Kmeta. But, there's really nothing to it (flavor-wise), so I'm guessing it's just residual co2.

The color was deep and the body was medium to full. The first sips were wound pretty tight. Not a lot of flavor, a bit of the "did I tell you I was a kit?" nose and palate. I was surprised. Thought 2 years in a carboy, that would have dissipated.

But, after about an hour, I got into the second glass... the wine found itself and opened up beautifully. Cherry and dried cranberry on the front with a bit of stewed strawberry; with leather and dark chocolate on the back. Medium + tannins. It disappeared before I knew it...[emoji53].

Craig's wines typically leave a light co2 fuzz in the glass immediately after opening. Not sure what that's from, especially since this one sat in bulk for so long. At first I thought it might be star San, or Kmeta. But, there's really nothing to it (flavor-wise), so I'm guessing it's just residual co2.
It was AIO'ed at least 5 times, so if you can figure out what it is, let me know. I still think storing at my cellar temps has something to do with it, though your wine room has comparable temperatures to mine and I never get "glass scumb" from yours. I do fill the bottles with Star San, drain upside down, then store bottles upside down in the wine boxes with a paper towel layer in the bottom of the box. I bottle directly to those bottles unless they have been sitting for a few months, then I re-Star San them before bottling.

Maybe it's just some of my "bubbly" personality getting into the wine (yuck, yuck, yuck!).

It was AIO'ed at least 5 times, so if you can figure out what it is, let me know. I still think storing at my cellar temps has something to do with it, though your wine room has comparable temperatures to mine and I never get "glass scumb" from yours. I do fill the bottles with Star San, drain upside down, then store bottles upside down in the wine boxes with a paper towel layer in the bottom of the box. I bottle directly to those bottles unless they have been sitting for a few months, then I re-Star San them before bottling.

Maybe it's just some of my "bubbly" personality getting into the wine (yuck, yuck, yuck!).

Good - it's not just me. I wouldn't worry about it too much - there's no off-flavor to it and it dissipates pretty easily. I was thinking it may be dried Star San residue. If you want to test the theory - at next bottling, try doing a Kmeta spritz instead. I try to spritz mine at least 4-5 hours before bottling to give it time to dry. I sometimes get a little bit of Kmeta crust around the outside of the bottle, but that's it.

Which WE? What I'm drinking tonight is the Passport series from last year.

If you're talking about the Sauvignon Blanc Rose, the Passport is better (for me). Fully dry, where the WE was basically a Sauvignon Blanc with an fpac. I really like it, but the Passport is more my style.

Yes, the Sauv Blanc Rose.

Latest posts

Back