What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently schlep sells! LOL

wv-2018-02-15_metrics.png

So, I had made my first Chardonnay about two years ago. I bottled it somewhere between six and nine months old. (I did half unoaked, and half oaked)

I ended up drinking all but about six bottles (5) 750lm, and (1) 375lm within six months of bottling it.

To keep the last six bottles. I buried them in my closet. Last night I came upon them and decided to open the the lone 375ml I had left. Wow, that was dramatically different than they tasted almost a year ago the last time I tasted one! A more earthen / less fruity flavor had came forward and it shown more complex and full bodied flavor. I couldn't believe it was the same wine.

The taster was an oaked version. I have two more 750ml that are oaked, and three 750ml that are unoaked. I will have to open an unoaked to see how that one has changed in two years.

I had a nice WTSO offering tonight. It was a Spanish red blend (Malbec, Garnacha Tintorera, Syrah, Graciano, Cabernet Franc) from Angosto (Valencia), It is, believe it or not, a 2009 vintage. Generally, I assume this means they priced it high and could not sell it, then finally gave up. It is delightful. Rich, bright, pleasant tannins, cassis, mineral notes. It is not a $40 bottle of wine, but it was a steal at $11. Wish I bought more.

I making a batch of porter today (along the lines of the defunct Catamount Brewery's Porter) and thinking of Spring...then reality sets in this evening when it starts to snow.

I was pleased that today the the grand Excel spreadsheet/algorithm nominated my most recent CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab as the vino of choice tonight. It is ~2 years old, and it is coming into its own. Very enjoyable, a slight tannic pucker, some oak... very nice. It will improve as the tannins mellow, methinks. (I tweaked it with some FT Tannin Rouge in primary, and 3 g Tannin Riche Extra for cellaring.)

I also opened a bottle of commercial Pinot Gris with dinner from Chateau Ste. Michelle, since we were having chicken. It was surprisingly petillant, but overall very pleasing. I was glad to have my choice of these, and so was our dinner guest. I keep going back and forth between them! :dg

Wonder if your taste buds got "duped" by the wonderful acidity found in so many white wines from the CV!

I also opened a bottle of commercial Pinot Gris with dinner from Chateau Ste. Michelle, since we were having chicken. It was surprisingly petillant, but overall very pleasing.

Went to a friend's house for unexpected dinner, so I grabbed a bottle of my WE Eclipse Nebbiolo. Even at only 2 years, I put this in the top handful of wines I have made, like top 4 or 5. (Sadly, there is a big gap to the next tier.) It was well-appreciated; they didn't understand at first that I had made the wine, but got the point eventually. We came home somewhat early, and I poured a glass from the CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab I had open and referenced yesterday. So, from one of my faves to one of my faves! Can't complain about that. (Although, for the record, I would be happy to trade with Mike above me!)

My youngest Son went for a "sleep over" tonight. His friend Jake had a few other friend over, so I sent a bottle of Dornfelder with my wife as an "offering" since they had a bunch of 13-14 yr old guys to watch for the night. They opened the bottle when she arrived and "forced" her to drink a glass (she hasn't quite gone all the way to the dry side yet). Lo and behold, she drank it and somewhat enjoyed it. Since I got rave reviews I decided to chip away at a bottle that was opened for a week or so but under the influence of the vacuvin. I'm really starting to fancy this wine. It's coming around quicker than I thought. I figured it would take another two or so years before I'd really enjoy it. (Fall 2015 vintage from locally sourced grapes that were picked at 19.5 brix, which I guess is somewhat normal for Dornfelder from what I've read).

Back