What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be going in morning to pick more elderberries. I think I'll clean ou tthe one bush tomorrow. I did locate another one last weekend that looked promising. I'll check that in the am also. Hoping for 10 lbs tomorrow but will be happy with 5 or 6. That will take me to close to 70 collected soo far and 60 sill in the freezer if I can get 6-10 more.

Seems rather early for elderberries. At least here in the PNW. I usually pick mine during hunting season. Up before dawn tracking deer. If you don't see anything by 10 AM they have bedded down so I spend the rest of the day picking elderberries and rosehips.

Way too early????
4 am is when my internal alarm clock goes off every morning and I just can't seem to reset it!
It was nice when work was really steady,,,
Years back it was nice,,, roll over and cuddle and the wife say "hey baby!!"
Now it's "are you kidding??!!"

Way too early????
4 am is when my internal alarm clock goes off every morning and I just can't seem to reset it!
It was nice when work was really steady,,,
Years back it was nice,,, roll over and cuddle and the wife say "hey baby!!"
Now it's "are you kidding??!!"

waahhaa...
i used to be able to get up early...when did it change, lol lol

Yeah, thats too early for me. Usually about 6:10 for me. Gonna go give blood soon and then pick up more empty bottles from a freind and the dump. That should be enough for me for quite some time.

Seems rather early for elderberries. At least here in the PNW. I usually pick mine during hunting season. Up before dawn tracking deer. If you don't see anything by 10 AM they have bedded down so I spend the rest of the day picking elderberries and rosehips.

I got another 5 lbs from the close bush, birds seem have gooten the others. Still checking on them. Today's 5 lbs will bring my total picked so far to I think 69 lbs. I'm happy with that. I have a 3 gallon batch made from 11 lbs going now. After the funeral stuff is all over this week I'll start another batch.

Everyone have fun at Dan's that are going. Be safe.

I will hopefully start picking ome elderberries tomorrow as they are ready here but I just have too much to do today as I still have pver 100 bottles in my kitchen from last week and will be picking up a bunch more today and if I dont get them out of here the wife will kill me. She has been very nice and hasnt even said anything about these 10 cases of nasty dirty bottles sitting right in our kitchen and that my friends is love cause even Im bitching at myself for doing this but my back just hasnt been up to it with all the work weve had now. I even have to work tomorrow!!!!!!!

I've got about 30 lbs of elderberries in the freezer. Picked another 12 gallons of screens yesterday and started cleaning them last night. 9 gallons to go. Should make for 50# total.

Last year I mainly picked off just 2 bushes and cleaned the berries while waiting for my son to get off the bus. This year those plants have already ripened and school doesn't start for another week.

Working at the tough house again but only until 12 then it's off to the family BBQ.
Not looking forward to being here again tomorrow.
Hopefully I get a call about the new job next week and I can leave.
I can definitely see how people get burnt out from this unit.

Last edited:
Off to a family BBQ ,taking some skeeter pee with us oh & maybe a couple other wines for them to sample .

i am up waaay too early for a sat. i see a nap in my future:sl

I feel that way every day. But Lady Liberty is a jealous mistress and is about the only thing that will drag me out before the crack of noon. Then once a month she demands her pound of flesh in exchange for a little safety and security, which I am glad to give so you all can sleep in peace at nite. This just happens to be that weekend. :gb

As to the elderberry pickers, you need to get crackin'! Last year we picked 100#'s which yielded 3 cases of 500ml bottles of port. This year I plan to get enough to make a 40 gallon batch. I'm thinking about 400#'s. :r

Went over to Equus Run winery today, about 15 minutes from my house, and picked up my cellar club selections. I like these guys, they make pretty good wine, and have an absolutely beautiful winery. The selections I picked were a cab franc, a merlot they made especially for the World Equestrian Games (at least something good has to come out of it), and a late harvest merlot that they made for members only. The last is a port style wine that I thought was awesome.

After that, I came home and bottled my Blackberry Pinot Noir, and made some salsa from the overflow of garden tomatoes I have.

Went over to Equus Run winery today, about 15 minutes from my house, and picked up my cellar club selections. I like these guys, they make pretty good wine, and have an absolutely beautiful winery. The selections I picked were a cab franc, a merlot they made especially for the World Equestrian Games (at least something good has to come out of it), and a late harvest merlot that they made for members only. The last is a port style wine that I thought was awesome.

After that, I came home and bottled my Blackberry Pinot Noir, and made some salsa from the overflow of garden tomatoes I have.

sounds awesome deboard. i haven't checked out equus run...will check them out on internet. was thinking about going to bourbon festival next month and checking out the wineries in that area at the same time.

They are very close to a few distilleries, Labrot & Graham (who makes Woodford Reserve) is in the same county, and the next county to the west is where a lot of big distilleries like Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, and Four Roses are located. There are quite a few wineries around the same area too so you can make a mix of it if you like.

Just started a 10 gallon batch of all grain Celis White clone (BEER) :b:b

While at Runningwolf's party yesterday I met his friend and fellow wine maker Bill who told me he was trying to downsize his winemaking opperation from what was about 100 carboys. He offerd me 3-5 gallon carboys for $50.00, so before we started home today we swung by his place. To sweeten up the deal I left with 3 bottels of his wine.

For those who like pictures

003.JPG

005.JPG

They are very close to a few distilleries, Labrot & Graham (who makes Woodford Reserve) is in the same county, and the next county to the west is where a lot of big distilleries like Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, and Four Roses are located. There are quite a few wineries around the same area too so you can make a mix of it if you like.
ooh, deboard, woodford is my favorite! i recently read something...online or an article? about a winery in that area using woodford barrels to age wine. i look forward to trying that!

I dont know Tom, it might be close there huh? I had to work a full day today and then try to play catch up with cleaning and delabeling bottles, I didnt win but did get 5 cases done before I gave up. I have another 5 to do before next weekend cause the dump will have 2 weeks worth for me then and I wont need any for some time. I also have to start picking elderberries immediately as they are very ripe here but just havent had the time to do it with work being very busy now and doctor appnts. I freakin need a vacation!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back