What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to get my 4 cases of Cab Merlot blend labeled and put away and possibly bottle something else. Not sure what that is yet.

I have 5 carboys that need tending to. Need to sample a few with oak cubes or spirals, to see if the oak is done. Have to take SG reading on 2, and rack most of them.

Have equipment set out and empty carboys at the ready. Having breakfast with my son first, then it's back to work.

Jim

Washing bottles and removing the most stubborn labels I have ever seen. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they were put on with super glue. Owner of the winery said they were hard to get off, but DANG!

I've taken off the outer "plastic" coating and have them soaking in bucket of water with dish washing liquid with k-meta. After a few days of this, I use a paint scraper and wire brush to work off the label. But I still have residual glue on the glass. Any suggestions as to how to safety get this off? My wife has me using fingernail polish remover but is that safe? Of course, they are getting another wash and spray (inside and out) with k-meta before I store them.

Dave I would use oxy clean instead of dishwashing soap. Three scoops in very hot water for about 60-90 minutes then remove. Do not leave the bottles over night or the glue that softened up will just reset itself again. Scrape off what you can and put bottles back in the water for another hour and the rest of the glue should easily come off.

Testing a couple of carboys for SO2 levels, Filtering my Riesling, Pulling my Petit Sirah out of the Vadai and probably transferring the Cab Sauv from fresh grapes back in for another month.

And more than likely a little Spring garden work.

And more than likely a little Spring garden work.

I just tried to do that. Its 38* and sunny here. I was able to finish burning off all of my ornamental grasses in the gardens except one still under a huge pile of snow. Stood up my patio furnture outside and dang that alone makes it feel like Spring. Going to make some acid adjustments on my ice wine today.

Just finished shoveling snow. %^@## I have 3 full carboys so going to bottle one and make some room to fire up the primary for my Zinfandel. Will rack the other 2 while i'm at it since its close to that time anyhow and they are looking pretty clear. Whoddathunk 3 carboys are not nearly enough since I realized benefits of bulk aging! Guess what I'm buying next trip to the the HBS.

Dave I would use oxy clean instead of dishwashing soap. Three scoops in very hot water for about 60-90 minutes then remove. Do not leave the bottles over night or the glue that softened up will just reset itself again. Scrape off what you can and put bottles back in the water for another hour and the rest of the glue should easily come off.

Thanks Dan

I will try this next time. Missed your post until just now....Just finished about 8 cases. Only 23 more to go :)

Just finished weeding, picking up twigs & stix, leaves from the hillside & other junk, Filled 3 large leaf bags with more to go! Taking a break to watch the NCAA for a while, finished bottle of Dan's Stuben, loved it. Cracked open another of Dan's. Daimond, another great wine, just sweet enough!!! Great sipping after working in the yard. Too bad you still have snow up there, beautiful day here........
Dan are these juice buckets that you got from Walkers last year??? I like the flavor of both of these...... I'll have to make a trip up this fall, guessing thats the time frame for the juice....
Al

Al those are both from Walkers. With you being nearly 2.5 - 3 hours from there plan ahead of time. Have plenty of empty primary buckets available and carboys available 10 days later. You'll save 15.00 on each juice bringing your own container unless if they are only selling it in their own pails. These will not be fermenting by the time you get home like last year from Presque Isle.

Al those are both from Walkers. With you being nearly 2.5 - 3 hours from there plan ahead of time. Have plenty of empty primary buckets available and carboys available 10 days later. You'll save 15.00 on each juice bringing your own container unless if they are only selling it in their own pails. These will not be fermenting by the time you get home like last year from Presque Isle.

Incidently Julie is planning a group picking of Cherries from Walkers this Spring also and if you make that you'll be able to pick up some juices that day.

I have plenty of icing buckets I got from Sams Club, & a few from the local Bakery. Most are 3 gal & a lot are 4 gal. Great buckets for transporting juice & for Free! I also have a few 5 gal water jugs that I used only for transporting juice or for a quick racking. I use them as a temporary holding vessel only. Works out nicely...........
Al

Is walkers web site current with what they will have in the spring??? Or do they refrigerate & have different juices all year round??
Al

What you buy in bulk will be ice cold. The rest is hot packed in pails and not refrigerated. There web site is current only for what they have on hand at the time and that is not guaranteed.

Got up to 65 here today went out and cleaned out the dog kennel then started pruning the cottoneaster shurbs the rabbits have raised havock with them the last two years I guess I need to do some rabbit hunting here now I am testing a glass of my Wild Plum wine it's about three months old I think it will turn out pretty good with a little more age

Cleared out some brush and the leaving of last years garden. Added peat, compost and mulch to the two plant beds outside of the door. Planted another concord vine. cleaned out some old flower pots and planted some red onions. Still got to put my white onions in the ground soon. Planted a pretty sizable blackberry bush, pruned the mullberry monster bush a little bit. Going to need a saws all to do the rest. Gotta get it to a size that is managable to harvest from.
Cleared a little spot to hopefully put some hops when they arrive from julie and mike's and a few more places to put some more grapes when cuttings arrive from NY.
We also started about 70 carrot seeds 50 cucumber plants, a bunch of peppers, and about 50 peas.
I've got other a bunch of herbs that will go into window boxes and watermelon that will be started next weekend.
This year I'm doing a bit more growing of food to offest the higher prices and gas of going to the store. It's nice to finally have weekends off!
Had a bottle of the Bergamais that I made in 2009 the other night. Yummy. Not too bad for the first wine I made.

Compounded the drywall in the bedroom, went to Kavic Winery and picked up a couple bottles of wine. Should hopefully be able to get some bottles from them soon. Went to a 4 y/o birthday party and then home and for along walk with the family. Also back sweetened the Tropical Breeze and adjusted acid levels to .72%. Should be good to filter and bottle after Easter.

Summertime here we come.....

As I am reading your post my wife stops by and reads it. She says You need to get a wife! She says to try wd40.
Man am I lucky:r
Washing bottles and removing the most stubborn labels I have ever seen. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they were put on with super glue. Owner of the winery said they were hard to get off, but DANG!

I've taken off the outer "plastic" coating and have them soaking in bucket of water with dish washing liquid with k-meta. After a few days of this, I use a paint scraper and wire brush to work off the label. But I still have residual glue on the glass. Any suggestions as to how to safety get this off? My wife has me using fingernail polish remover but is that safe? Of course, they are getting another wash and spray (inside and out) with k-meta before I store them.

Latest posts

Back