What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the bright side (if there is one) the carboy was a whole lot lighter without the bottom.

Another bright side....You can replace it now with a better bottle plastic carboy so you never have to worry about this issue again. :h

Bought a book The Backyard Homestead. Has lots of good information in it. Can't wait to have my own land. Right now I have my little patch at the in laws place. They loved the veggies I grew last year.

Looked up the book and bought it last night from B&N. You are correct, seems to be a great source of information especially for someone like me that is a city boy going country. Like you, I can't wait to have my own little patch of land to call my own. Really love how the book shows diagrams of how to plant even the smallest area to the fullest potential.

Good reading there. Thanks for the heads up.

this is one of the things that convinced me to buy mainly plastic.

I really like this video. Better bottle dropped from 36" on youtube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6ZEenvRho[/ame]

I try not to, it usually takes a minute or so for the water at the stationary tub to warm up and I once I start feeling warm I open the cold so that I can use warm water. My mistake came from not realizing the washer was running. The water litterally didn't even run for 10 seconds before the loud crack. On the bright side (if there is one) the carboy was a whole lot lighter without the bottom.

Sounds like a trip to South Hills Brewing.

this is one of the things that convinced me to buy mainly plastic. I really like this video. Better bottle dropped from 36" on youtube.
Gird I agree with you there are some advantages to the BB. I you have a large collection of glass carboys the BB's come in real handy as a secondary since you can siphon down into one and then later on vacuum rack out of it. I also like placing them in between my glass carboys when in storage. They are great when it comes to moving them or cleaning compared to glass. I have little problems moving them as I grab the neck and the bottom which doesn't push any wine out. I just purchased (2) 3 gallon and would like to get a couple 6 gallon. For under $20.00 each it's worth it to me.

Now with that said, I love to hate these things. If I did not have an ample amount of glass I would not be buying them (they're great for back ups). I just feel for the serious long term wine maker that the glass carboys are a better choice.

Bottled Pinot Noir anf doing laundry. Going to head down to the local winery for a bottle of Deep Valley Blush and to see about more bottles. I've just about used everything I had in stock.

I've found one way to get around moving the plastic bottles,I put the few I use in a 5 gallon bucket so when I need to move them it doesn't suck in air or blow any wine out. I've found I can do this also with alot of my glass ones also that at least keeps the glass and most of the wine safe.

I use old buckets I got when I was doing drywall there is a few different brands some are tall and skinny lke the Home Depot and Lowes buckets and some are short and fat. The short fat ones are what I use. The 3 gallon and 4 gallon ones will fit in any of the buckets oh and it's Eddie not (Eddy or Edward) Danny lol

the buckets are old Joint compound buckets you can go to most any construction job and the guys will give you about all you want if they're not goobs

Last edited:
Today I racked my WE Chilean Merlot, Got my En Primeur Australian Shiraz racked into the secondary, and have 40 pounds of summer sausage ready to come out of the smoker in about 30 minutes. I will get that cooled down (easy job, -18C here) and into the freezer. If all that goes well I may even mix up the Cheeky Monkey Shiraz I bought yesterday since my primary is empty.

LMAO sorry about that Eddie. Your right I think those buckets are wider. When I worked for a contruction company I use to save those and the 5 gal paint buckets also. They're great to have around the yard for many purposes including carrying tools.

it's Eddie not (Eddy or Edward) Danny lol

I thought it was SIR Eddie, KING of the free muscadine grapes, and all that you can pick / carry. LOL

Bought time to stop by and get some cuttings from those babies!

Premier Produce in the strip has new glass for $25.00. I have to Better Bottles, can't vacuum rack from them. I'll stick to glass.

Doug,
You or Steve need to let me know exactly where Premier Produce is in the Strip. I know it's on the loading dock side, but how far down? Is there a sign for it?
Thanks!

Doug,
You or Steve need to let me know exactly where Premier Produce is in the Strip. I know it's on the loading dock side, but how far down? Is there a sign for it?
Thanks!

Premiere Produce
17th and 20th streets and Smallman
Pittsburgh 15222

Jay, 412-765-0710

There are a few others there but I have always delt with Jay. Nice fellow. Last year they told me that they do not carry Chile juice. I don't know why. They do supply fruits and vegetables to all the restaurants.

I order Regina juice afterLabor Day and anywhere from a few days to a week they come in.

They do carry 5 gallon carboys, supplies and even some yeast. They have a website you can see what they carry. Typically you would pick up anything you order from 2 am thru 8 am

http://premierproducepgh.com/

Premiere Produce
Pittsburgh 15222

Jay, 412-765-0710

There are a few others there but I have always delt with Jay. Nice fellow. Last year they told me that they do not carry Chile juice. I don't know why. They do supply fruits and vegetables to all the restaurants.

I order Regina juice afterLabor Day and anywhere from a few days to a week they come in.

They do carry 5 gallon carboys, supplies and even some yeast. They have a website you can see what they carry. Typically you would pick up anything you order from 2 am thru 8 am

Thanks!!!! :h

I thought it was SIR Eddie, KING of the free muscadine grapes, and all that you can pick / carry. LOL

Bought time to stop by and get some cuttings from those babies!

David don't even go there.............. and your right it is getting really close seeing that alot of stuff is starting to bud already here

Last edited:
Doug,
Thanks!

Premiere Produce
Pittsburgh 15222

Jay, 412-765-0710

The easy thing to do is to start looking for Kaya on the right hand side. It is just before that on the left. They have a sign but early in the AM it is difficult to see due to lack of lighting. You enter through the wharehouse door.

Off work for President's Day. Have to take my daughter for her 4 y/o check up then home to rack the Noble Muscadine. I haven't racked it since I cold stabilized it. Curious what the PH and acid readings are now.

Back