What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into another "what was he thinking?" yesterday, with regard to my house.

The master bedroom and bathroom doors have been squeaking, so I got a hammer, punch, and 3-in-1 Oil and started popping the hinge pins. For anyone not familiar, if the hinges squeak when opening/closing the door, the hinge pins can be removed (one at a time), oiled, and put back in place.

hinge pins.png

The pin goes through the hinges from the top, and the cap on one end prevents it from going through. Some folks use a large nail, but I use a punch from the bottom to pop the pin out. Oiling the pin will make a squeaky door silent, and it takes just minutes.

The bathroom door it was easy, as ~10 years ago I had to take the door off the hinges (reasons not remembered), so any difficulties in popping the pins is long in the past. Rub a bit of 3-in-1 Oil on the pin, wipe off excess with metal dust, and the door is opens/closes silently.

The bedroom door has never had the hinges touched (30 years old), so I expected resistance -- hence the hammer. But nope, the top and middle hinges went easily. But the bottom one would NOT go. The door is farthest from the windows, kind of dark, so I shined a light on it.

The pin was in upside down, the cap was on the bottom. While if the pin is loose it could fall out, but this one was tight enough that didn't happen.

Now I'm scratching my head, wondering why the finishing guy put it in upside down? It certainly wasn't easier to do.

That is a mystery for the ages. Regardless, the pin is oiled and in correctly, so the door no longer squeaks.

An apprentice or even worse a raw laborer installed the bottom pin first, upside down, the other two who knows. The craftsman came back later, saw it or saw the top two upside down, because they fell out, but the bottom one was wedged in tight enough to stay.

That my SWAG and the S is probably wrong.

Today I started a double batch of an RJS Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. It's been on the docket for a while now. I kept hesitating because I didn't quite want to deal with the double batch. My smallest "big" fermenter is 32 gallons, and it seemed silly to use that for 12 gallons. OTOH, I didn't want to do this twice. So, in the end, I decided to use 3 smaller buckets (the usual 7.9 and two 6 gallons), each with about 4 gallons in them.

As long as I had 3 separate fermentations going, I decided to use 3 different yeasts. I doubt it will do anything notable, and I won't really know because they will get blended before they get any age on them, but what the heck. I used D-47, QA-23, and, thanks to @winemaker81 , some TR-313.

I doubt it will do anything notable, and I won't really know because they will get blended before they get any age on them, but what the heck.
The TR-313 produced a strong grapefruit taste in my Vidal. We'll have to see how it ages.

Blending with 1/3 of the wine using TR-313 may give you the nice notes without being over powering.

Today I started a double batch of an RJS Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. It's been on the docket for a while now. I kept hesitating because I didn't quite want to deal with the double batch. My smallest "big" fermenter is 32 gallons, and it seemed silly to use that for 12 gallons. OTOH, I didn't want to do this twice. So, in the end, I decided to use 3 smaller buckets (the usual 7.9 and two 6 gallons), each with about 4 gallons in them.

As long as I had 3 separate fermentations going, I decided to use 3 different yeasts. I doubt it will do anything notable, and I won't really know because they will get blended before they get any age on them, but what the heck. I used D-47, QA-23, and, thanks to @winemaker81 , some TR-313.
I think you might be surprised how the different yeasts produce different flavor profiles. Perhaps when they complete AF you could fill three one gallon jugs and combine the rest in a larger carboy.

I think you might be surprised how the different yeasts produce different flavor profiles. Perhaps when they complete AF you could fill three one gallon jugs and combine the rest in a larger carboy.
I made half of last fall's Chambourcin with Bravo, and half with Avante. I reserved a gallon of each then blended the remainder. The taste test should be interesting. I'll reserve a bottle of each for the next time I visit my brother (which won't be soon, unfortunately).

As long as I had 3 separate fermentations going, I decided to use 3 different yeasts. I doubt it will do anything notable, and I won't really know because they will get blended before they get any age on them

I’ve done the same, even at SG = 1.010 I could taste differences. After blending together at that point I could tell which yeast dominated. Now I have an idea how I would approach next years batch.

No @hounddawg sightings since right after Christmas.
laying low, foot ulcer all but healed, 15 months in wheel chair, been so long butt hurts to walk, lol, I've logged on a time or two, but if i get into wine room , then all for nothing,
soooo , just hanging in the shadows waiting for the all clear. don't give up, I ain't,,,,
Dawg

laying low, foot ulcer all but healed, 15 months in wheel chair, been so long butt hurts to walk, lol, I've logged on a time or two, but if i get into wine room , then all for nothing,
soooo , just hanging in the shadows waiting for the all clear. don't give up, I ain't,,,,
Dawg
Miss you my fine vino friend

Today I start these 3, little grapefruit zest in the white, straight up on the cheap red, and on the Spanish red a full fpack will show later. , tannins, and some oak, not a lot.

I still want the fruit to be forward, but that's just me. 🍇

Attachments

• IMG_2722.jpeg
    IMG_2722.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2723.jpeg
    IMG_2723.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2746.jpeg