What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Boatboy24 and my WA State grapes came in. The first grape I received this fall with brownish stems and nice brown seeds. Supposed to be Super Premium but haven't taken any readings yet. He's coming over this evening to crush. Not super sweet, I'm guessing 22-24 brix. He's doing Merlot and I'm doing Cab Franc.

Attachments

• Cab Franc.jpg
    Cab Franc.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 52
  • Merlot.jpg
    Merlot.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 53
  • Cab Merlot.jpg
    Cab Merlot.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 46
@Boatboy24 and my WA State grapes came in. The first grape I received this fall with brownish stems and nice brown seeds. Supposed to be Super Premium but haven't taken any readings yet. He's coming over this evening to crush. Not super sweet, I'm guessing 22-24 brix. He's doing Merlot and I'm doing Cab Franc.

Looks like beautiful fruit, nice and clean too, shouldn't be much sorting there, dump -n- crush!!!

It is gorgeous fruit. Thanks for the hookup, Fred! Fred's Cab Franc initially measured at 22.4, my Merlot at 24.2 when I got it home after the long 3 mile journey. My pH meter may be acting wonky, but it measured at 3.89. When I tasted the grapes I thought the acid might be a little light. I tweaked it a tad. I think the Cab Franc is probably right on acid-wise, but that's just based on taste. This is the first crush that I've not added any SO2 at crush. Gonna let it go.

BTW: Fred failed to mention that this is Horse Heaven Hills fruit. I'm just a little excited.

All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown)
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)
I've been for a walk (I've been for a walk)
On a winter's day (on a winter's day)
I'd be safe and warm (I'd be safe and warm)
If I was in L.A. (if I was in L.A.)

California dreamin' (California dreamin')
On such a winter's day
A little listening to music and drinking, or it might have been a little drinking that led to listening to music.

Starting up some wine duties, but will be interrupted shortly to take my bride to dinner at a local brewery (restaurant/outlet - Appalachian Brewery in Gettysburg). Racked a 25 1/2 month old Zin to prep it for bottling. Even after 7 AIO racks (over the span of two years, not all today), still showing some CO2. Guess storing it between 55 - 65*F year round doesn't let the CO2 escape very fast. That would be just fine if it was a nice IPA or other beer style.

11-3-18_zin-1.jpg

That moment when your better half says "do you feel like going to a matinee today? You hesitate for a second as you realize your day of working in the winery, watching NFL RedZone and smoking some baby backs just went out the window as you say "sure honey" ........

But then you remember you are now retired and you can do all that just as easily tomorrow!

Priceless.

That moment when your better half says "do you feel like going to a matinee today? You hesitate for a second as you realize your day of working in the winery, watching NFL RedZone and smoking some baby backs just went out the window as you say "sure honey" ........

But then you remember you are now retired and you can do all that just as easily tomorrow!

Priceless.
Good move. You've been away from home for a while, you'll score major points with the wife. I still think it will take me several years to realize I'm retired once I am, though missing football and grilling in the same day could be tough. I hope the movie is good! I'd suggest dinner afterwards including a nice bottle of wine to cushion the shock, assuming there is a place close to the theater with some good grub. She should pay since your retired now and she's still working...(I'm sure that will work about one time).

Well I can't really re-watch NFL Redzone live though........ LOL

At least she picked a decent movie. Could have been going to see the new "Nutcracker" but instead going to go see "Bad Times At The El Royale". This was penned and directed by Drew Goddard who was born and raised here in Los Alamos and his Mom actually was our oldest daughter's teacher in Kindergarten. He also wrote the screenplay for "The Martian", Cloverfield, wrote several episodes of LOST and seems to be having great success these days. Kinda fun to watch from the sidelines.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1206844/?ref_=tt_ov_wr

Bottling the last of the 2016's with my favorite veteran. After blending, we had 3 gallons of Cab Sauv and 3 gallons of Petite Sirah left. Gonna bottle them up as single varietals.

Sausage Fest 2018 is in the books! 100lbs total. 75lbs German (2 different commercial seasoning blends) and 25lbs Hot Italian Sausage. The Italian sausage is da bomb. No comparison to the store bought stuff. Its all resting in the fridge in the garage overnight to dry out the casings just a bit. Will vacuum seal into packages tomorrow and post some pics then. Test patties this morning were gone in the blink of an eye. 60% Pork Butt 40% Chuck Roast this time.

@ibglowin : Refresh my memory, please. What are you using to grind? I've been really wanting to start grinding my own burgers, and would probably venture into 'sausage land' shortly after. Have seriously considered a KA for years, though I'm not sure I'd get my money's worth. Thinking of a 'uni-tasker', but there's a lot of cheap crap out there.

We have a KitchenAid Pro 600 Mixer and I found a nicely made meat grinder attachment on Amazon for less than $70. So far it has gone from 5lbs to 10lbs to 50lbs to 100lbs today and it just cranks through whatever you toss at it. Very happy with the purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V7XJT2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

IMG_2531.JPG IMG_2532.JPG

@ibglowin : Refresh my memory, please. What are you using to grind? I've been really wanting to start grinding my own burgers, and would probably venture into 'sausage land' shortly after. Have seriously considered a KA for years, though I'm not sure I'd get my money's worth. Thinking of a 'uni-tasker', but there's a lot of cheap crap out there.

Last edited:
Should have mentioned that the Gvode attachment has sausage stuffing attachments. In theory you could pre-season your cubed meat and then grind an stuff in one movement. That would be a two man job for sure!

Latest posts

Back