What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The degassing of my sparkling Norton Blend is complete. Only 12 bottles I had to open. I have 3 gallons of Syrah and Zin and 5 gallons of Barbera that were just lacking something. Added the average recommended amounts of Tannin Riche Extra and Tannin Complex, what an immediate complement. It's recommended to wait 3-6 weeks before bottling. Probably wait 3 weeks and try some blending. Since this went so well I did the same to the Norton Blend. Have 6 gallons of what could potentially be some very good wine.

Had my retirement luncheon yesterday. BBQ from a local joint. Not too bad but I think mine is better! LOL

Guess you could say I went out with a "bang". Large Team Award (i.e. not just me). This might be one of those things I can't talk about really or else that whole being sent to prison and $100K fine thing comes into play.......

IMG_3663.jpg

My neighbor this year grew some Carolina Reaper peppers this year. She was kind enough to give us some. Have grown all kinds of hot peppers for the past 20+ years and make hot sauces, adobo sauce, dried, chiplotle, etc each year. But never have grown anything this potent. So with some of my long hot and chili peppers, some garlic, basil and vinegar, we made what is now known as Devil's Pocket Grim Reaper hot sauce. Didn't get much, but don't need much. Holy shi# is this potent.

IMG_20181019_125331851_HDR_1.jpg
IMG_20181019_155009291_HDR_1.jpg

My neighbor this year grew some Carolina Reaper peppers this year. She was kind enough to give us some. Have grown all kinds of hot peppers for the past 20+ years and make hot sauces, adobo sauce, dried, chiplotle, etc each year. But never have grown anything this potent. So with some of my long hot and chili peppers, some garlic, basil and vinegar, we made what is now known as Devil's Pocket Grim Reaper hot sauce. Didn't get much, but don't need much. Holy shi# is this potent.
I think that is way out of my league, I value feeling in my lips and taste on my tongue (oh, and snot in my nose (I know, TMI)).

I think that is way out of my league, I value feeling in my lips and taste on my tongue (oh, and snot in my nose (I know, TMI)).

Same here.....micro doses

I thought the same thing though when I made a habanero batch several months ago, now I'm addicted.

Same here.....micro doses

I thought the same thing though when I made a habanero batch several months ago, now I'm addicted.
One good thing is if you make chili you don't need to use very much. I still have a bottle of a habanero batch from my own peppers that is close to a decade old. Believe it or not, it's still good. I don't think the bacteria dare to enter that environment.

Had my retirement luncheon yesterday. BBQ from a local joint. Not too bad but I think mine is better! LOL

Guess you could say I went out with a "bang". Large Team Award (i.e. not just me). This might be one of those things I can't talk about really or else that whole being sent to prison and $100K fine thing comes into play.......

View attachment 51832
lol Yeah dont talk about that one. I envision a lot of bad things when i read that title haha.

What I did today was try to find a new job. Thats basically it. And i also collected some more samples to have Dna tested by davis to id my last couple vines.

View attachment 51844
View attachment 51845

Looks good. Tomorrow I plan to pick a bunch more ghost peppers and dry them again. I've made a few hot sauce batches this year already so think I'm good with those.

We've decided that if a good deal comes along for items for the new house we'll buy it now and store it for installation when needed. The first of those things presented itself last night as I was looking at 36" slide-in cooktops (been coveting them for around 4 months). The best price I'd seen for a Kenmore Pro, available local, had been slightly above $2,000.00 but I found one listed as "damaged" at a nearby sears outlet store. I called them up, was told damage was basically a scratch and asked them to hold for 30 mins so I could run down and take a look. Price was dropped to $1,099.00 vs the list 2,200 and the "damage" is far more minor than I'll probably inflict on it the first 3 months of cooking on it. Full warrantee includedKenmoreProRangetop.jpg Scratch.jpg and I bought an additional 3 year warranty to boot. Blow up of Damage attached. Mike

Just finished bottling and labeling the last of the Norton Blend. Next is to see if I can come up with anything good with a blend for Barbera, OVZ and Syrah. Yesterday we went to District Winery in DC. All the wine is made there from grapes sourced from various regions of Cali, WA State, Oregon and the Finger Lakes. It was a different kind of tasting set up. They had 2 preselected groups of five wines but you could choose your own 5. The tastings were more like a half glass of wine not the usual sip. Afterward we bought a glass and sat on the boardwalk by the Anacostia River. It was a beautiful day.

Back