What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're cleaning out our offices, lease ends at the end of the month but trying to finish moving out by the end of the week so we can be up and running from home Monday. Down to File cabinets and our Desks and computers mostly. There are some logistical issues in clearing out the warehouse and getting rid of some furniture and equipment but we should be able to wrap that up in a couple of weeks. After that I guess I rededicate my time to prepping the house for sale around March and lining up subs and quoting the new build.
Mike

Worrying.

My oldest Son is stationed at Eglin AFB near Destin, Florida. That eye from Michael is gonna be way too close for comfort for me. Any and all prayers welcomed!

Worrying.

My oldest Son is stationed at Eglin AFB near Destin, Florida. That eye from Michael is gonna be way too close for comfort for me. Any and all prayers welcomed!

I agree with Mike, but I will add my T&P for him anyway! Good luck on the worrying front.

Worrying.

Eglin is west of center, west is the wimpy side of hurricanes. East winds followed by north, pushes water out so the surge isn’t much concern. Panama City and east are in for a ride. The way the government spends our tax dollars, you can rest assured he’s in a substantial structure.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. He texted me this morning. He bugged out last night with a buddy of his that grew up in Alabama.

@Johnd, I was worried that the eye hadn't started to drift towards the east yet, the report at 6 am CDT showed it starting that movement. I surely wouldn't want to live in Panama City or Apalachicola for sure. The storm surge on that east facing coast (Carrabelle area) is going to be ridiculously high. We should redirect our prayers towards those people, especially the one who decided to "ride out" the storm.

Yup, it’ll be rough for sure. Send him over here to stay, he’s trained at grape crushing, right........???????? We’ve got our first front coming through, bounces those storms to the east pretty handily. We’ll be sending the Cajun Navy over shortly, and lots of folks from around here will volunteer over there, we just know what it’s like to need help.

Yup, it’ll be rough for sure. Send him over here to stay, he’s trained at grape crushing, right........???????? We’ve got our first front coming through, bounces those storms to the east pretty handily. We’ll be sending the Cajun Navy over shortly, and lots of folks from around here will volunteer over there, we just know what it’s like to need help.
Yeah, he helped me crush a few lugs by hand before. He'd enjoy using "real" equipment to do a crush.

Cajun Navy, if the rations they feed you are Cajun, I'm there!

Yeah, he helped me crush a few lugs by hand before. He'd enjoy using "real" equipment to do a crush.

Cajun Navy, if the rations they feed you are Cajun, I'm there!

LOL!! It's really pretty cool, the Cajun Navy (self commissioned in Katrina) was a rag tag bunch of civilians that banded together to rescue folks from the flood waters in NO after Katrina. They had boats, people needed to get to dry land, presto, Cajun Navy. There are a bunch of groups similarly named, since then, they've actually responded as a group to flood events to lend a hand. There are other groups that load up trailers and go to recovery areas to cook and feed people, many cooking gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, and the like.

I certainly don't mean to make light of the hurricane, it's a monster, if he headed west with with his buddy from Alabama, he went in the right direction and is with someone who knows how to handle the situation. Folks in the path of Michael will certainly benefit from our prayers.......

LOL!! It's really pretty cool, the Cajun Navy (self commissioned in Katrina) was a rag tag bunch of civilians that banded together to rescue folks from the flood waters in NO after Katrina. They had boats, people needed to get to dry land, presto, Cajun Navy. There are a bunch of groups similarly named, since then, they've actually responded as a group to flood events to lend a hand. There are other groups that load up trailers and go to recovery areas to cook and feed people, many cooking gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, and the like.

I certainly don't mean to make light of the hurricane, it's a monster, if he headed west with with his buddy from Alabama, he went in the right direction and is with someone who knows how to handle the situation. Folks in the path of Michael will certainly benefit from our prayers.......

OK John, !!!!WHEN!!!! the Southern Invasion comes to Split Rock next year I'll bring a turkey fryer and be your assistant preparing the Low Country Boil. Might have to make 2 batches because I like mine hot.

OK John, !!!!WHEN!!!! the Southern Invasion comes to Split Rock next year I'll bring a turkey fryer and be your assistant preparing the Low Country Boil. Might have to make 2 batches because I like mine hot.

Only one batch needed, don’t know how to cook “mild”!!!

Yeah, good that he has buddies like that! He ended up in Wetumpka AL, just northeast of Montgomery.

Latest from the hurricane hunters isn't good. 150 mph sustained winds, 923 mb pressure. Now the fifth strongest hurricane to make landfall since 1851 in the U.S. I just want to know how they took the max wind speed in 1851? I'm not sure I'd want to be out on the beach taking part in that en devour.

Edit: 919 mb, holy #$^@ %&$!

Last edited:
Yeah, good that he has buddies like that! He ended up in Wetumpka AL, just northeast of Montgomery.

Latest from the hurricane hunters isn't good. 150 mph sustained winds, 923 mb pressure. Now the fifth strongest hurricane to make landfall since 1851 in the U.S. I just want to know how they took the max wind speed in 1851? I'm not sure I'd want to be out on the beach taking part in that en devour.

Just yesterday it was a Cat 2.

My wife texted me that there's stuff up on the AF parents site that Tyndall AFB and Mexico Beach got hit really hard. I can't imagine winds that last over an hour at an EF-3+ category for a tornado. There must be little to nothing left standing. My number one reason not to retire to Florida.

Today I am learrning how to hobble around with one foot. drinking and crutches could be a scary combo:)

Trying to procure the rest of the materials need to build a wheelchair ramp for a old timer here who is a disabled vet and can't wait any longer for the VA to help him, so with the Disabled Vaets of America I will find the materials needed. I am hoping not to have to build it myself but I will if I have to.

Need to get to the brew shop and get the yeast to pitch into my cranberry/pomegranite, it is past the pectin stage and is waiting to begin to bubble.

Sharpening up the snow shovel, feels like snow for sure in the air. My money is on the eight, I may not win this year but I think I am going to come close.

Got bad news today about a young friend(18 yo) that was killed in a car accident last month, not sure how I was the last to know but I was. Need to deal with his Mom and their family. On top of that the mom is terminally ill and there are many other problems facing them. Time to be a true Alaskan and step up and see where I can help.

Got gallons of cran/pomegranite on the counter that needs to be moved. Guess i didn't think about that when I mixed it all up. It's damn sure not going on the frig!!!LOL

What am I doing today? I am giving my thanks that I woke up alive and healthy today and that I can hope that those in my family and those I call my friends are doing okay. I also prayed that if there was anythng I could do to help any of them, that the strength would be sent my way.

Take Care,
Troy
:r

Hey Troy,

You're a trooper! Did you know Glacier Bear makes high quality fruit wines that are Alaska-grown? Good for you for helping out your disabled Vet friend but mind you don't overdo it with the crutches, etc.

Have you figured out how to ameliorate the acid in your wine? Cranberry and pomegranate sounds like a way tart kind of blend. I have found that blending (finished) mead into acidic fruit wine can be a great yin/yang way to reduce acid w/o having to add calcium bicarbonate, etc.

Cheers,
Vawineman

What R you doing today?
Today I bottled my Chilean Syrah and Chilean Cab/Franc. Total was a full 5 cases.
Also getting room for my 36 gallons of Italian juice comming in this weekend.
Here's whats left..

6 gal Apricot
6 gal Apple-Pear-Passion Fruit
6 gal Italian juice Brunello
6 gal Italian juice Amarone
12 gal Chilean juice Red Zin
12 gal Chilean juice Malbec
6 gal Pineapple
12 gal Peach
10 gal Bananna
6 gal Pear
6 gal CA juice Cab Sauvignon
6 gal CA juice Pinot Noir
6 gal CA juice Chianti
6 gal Ca juice Riesling
6 gal Ca juice Viognier
6 gal Carrot
6 gal Blackberry
starting this weekend ..
6 gal Italian juice Amarone
6 gal Italian juice Nebbiolo
6 gal Italian juice Dolcetto
6 gal Italian juice Valpolicello
6 gal Italian juice Frascati
6 gal Italian juice Verdicchio
I just tasted and blended several port components together that were sitting around the place for most of a year: so glad everything is clean and stable still! Am working with a 2015 Norton base (fortified post-ferment) and by now it's nice and mellow. Made a 2/3 blend of that with 1/3 Vermont Marquette (over 15% alc.), a few ounces of cherry liqueuer (craft distilled) and a blend of blueberry wines. Have to let it meld, but looking forward to enjoying it when the weather finally changes!

Latest posts

Back