What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got back from Disney World last week! Took the kids - they had a blast. It was a little hotter than expected - but aside from that - it was an excellent trip.

am currently stacking firewood inside.

Am about to light the fire for the first time this year.. it's finally cold enough to justify it.

:i

BIG RED is keeping us plenty warm here in sunny Florida. No need for firewood.
I'm hoping to get out and find a few more blackberries today. We had a pretty good rain and they have really started coming on all over and will soon come to an end.
My brother called last night and said to get ready for us to go pick early Sunday morning on the tomato farm he works.
He simply said, get ready to be amazed. I hope so. I would like to end up with 20 gallons and I've already got 10.

Got back from Disney World last week! Took the kids - they had a blast. It was a little hotter than expected - but aside from that - it was an excellent trip.

Bet you need a vacation from your vacation. Going to Disney is WORK...it's like, "feet don't fail me now." :dg

Just finished bottling my 6 gallons ea. of Italian Frascati and Verdicchio.

Score!

I took my wife to a large nursery today and stopped at my favorite winery first to see if they had any bottles. He had another case of ice wine bottles to give me! Another $25's saved! I figured I'd pick up another half dozen regular bottles also but he had about 20 cases. I told him I would stop back next week with my truck to get them. The best part is they are having a big bar-b-cue jazz fest there Friday night so that'll produce another bunch of bottles before I get back there next week. :tz

I took my wife to a large nursery today and stopped at my favorite winery first to see if they had any bottles. He had another case of ice wine bottles to give me! Another $25's saved! I figured I'd pick up another half dozen regular bottles also but he had about 20 cases. I told him I would stop back next week with my truck to get them. The best part is they are having a big bar-b-cue jazz fest there Friday night so that'll produce another bunch of bottles before I get back there next week. :tz

I need a place like that around here, of course I have no where near the wine in process as you right now. I'll pick up a few cases over summer when we are up in Erie and I should be able to get a few cases here and there from the local winery.

Worked from home today then after work me and my 3 y/o daughter went to the park for an hour. It was a very nice day. Tomorrow I have 1/2 day from work, taking the bike to get inspected.

Installed my new rack that came today. I highly recommend it to any one looking for a rack that holds 152 bottles for less then $100. Anywhere else this rack is $50-70 dollars more. http://www.ivgstores.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-78522-.htm It has a very small foot print and needs to be fastened to the wall. Its not beautiful but it is functional and sturdy. If you look at the pictures of my wine cellar on my album you'll see why I was short on space.

DSCN1907.jpg

DSCN1909.jpg

How many bottles high? and, how thick is the metal. I dont think It would work in my "cellar" as I have a river rock and mud foundation. So, would not to well here BUTT, is a great deal.

How many bottles high? and, how thick is the metal. I dont think It would work in my "cellar" as I have a river rock and mud foundation. So, would not to well here BUTT, is a great deal.

Nineteen bottles high by eight wide. It is a very heavy Gauge metal but I do not have a gauge. I was very reluctant to order it as everyone else sells the exact same one for over $150.00. The wall anchors that came with it were pretty lame. I firmly attached two 1.5 x 3/4" upright strips to the wall and fastened the rack to those. I feel very confident with this rack and it took less then 30 minutes to install by myself. That includes cutting and painting the firring strips.

Last edited:
when I have to sit at the computer, with my feet on a hot water bottle.. it's cold enough for the fire..

see the lengths I go to? to be here with you all?

:p

Gee G, it was 70 today and it si 8 pm and I still have the doors open :p

Nineteen bottles high by eight wide. It is a very heavy Gauge metal but I do not have a gauge. I was very reluctant to order it as everyone else sells the exact same one for over $150.00. The wall anchors that came with it were pretty lame. I firmly attached two 1.5 x 3/4" upright strips to the wall and fastened the rack to those. I feel very confident with this rack and it took less then 30 minutes to install by myself. That includes cutting and painting the firring strips.

Nice rack ther dan, I don't think my basement sandstone foundation would be too conducive to it though. I have shelves built in the back corner of my basement for storage. I was considering building something similar to this to sit on the shelves. Doing it out of pine I should be able to build it relatively cheap. I have some cherry I may make another for the top of the basement steps out of. Its supposed to rain this weekend, could be a good project.

2480_big1.jpg

It's been raining steadily all last night and all this morning.. I nipped out in the car earlier and the stream at the bottom of the driveway is so swollen, that I'm pretty sure it's going to flood the driveway by the afternoon.

I'll get some photo's if it does.

it won't be an issue as it happens every year, so I'll still be able to pick kids up from school.

( though the local council has us listed as a 100 year flood zone.. yeah right!)

Next door to us though.. it floods halfway up the hill and most of the neighbours drive goes under about 5 to 6 feet of water.. their property is where two streams converge and they get a huge volume of water. Last year one of the cattle from the farm across the road was swept into the stream and drowned.. not much fun trying to winch a dead steer out of a stream i can tell you.. I moved my cattle uphill to the back paddock yesterday, luckily.

Allie

Doug thats looks very nice. I also made four of my other racks when I first built my wine cellar. I over built as usual knowing I would always have plenty of space for my wine. WOW WAS I WRONG!! I added six wall racks (27 bottles each) over X-mas and now this one. I BLAME IT ALL ON TOM AND WADE! We need more friend like them. It would be way to dangerous if we all lived in the same town.

Latest posts

Back