What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Fun Day at Sea" on our way to Cozumel. Got out of the Mississippi River around 11 PM, into the Gulf, gentle rocking, water splashing, slept like a baby. Using wifi on the ship and the WMT app. Not a fan.

Quick! Everyone meet in John's new wine room!!!

Off today. Got caught up on work emails this morning, then went to Lowes to stock up on charcoal and grab some fertilizer for the lawn. Shortly, off to pick up some clothes, then to Total Wine to get a few growlers of beer for our dinner at friends tonight and poolside party at another friend's tomorrow. Then mow/fertilize and grill/chill.

Off today as well! I am getting too close to use/lose on vacation. One of the perks when I started at the lab (but not any more) was ~5 weeks vacay a year. You can accrue up to ~10 weeks before you go into use/lose. After 30 years and only using ~ 3 weeks a year I am constantly almost there. Not a bad situation to be in when your looking at retirement in a couple years. Doing the yard work early, work a little in the Wine Garden, top up in the winery this afternoon, maybe head to Wallymart for some of that charcoal that Boatboy mentions as long as I can get in and out in my own self imposed "10min rule" for that place....... :)

Headed over to a friend's place this afternoon to hang out poolside. I'm getting ready to throw about 40 wings on the grill. Half are Jerk marinated and the other half will be coated with a nice, gooey orange marmalade/sriracha glaze. :HB

Happy 4th! I'm doing a Low Country Boil along with a slow grilled pork tenderloin applewood smoked and roasted pepper chutney.

Waiting to see my daughter.....her birthday...still my little firecracker at 27. Got lucky she works hard and keeps her nose clean.

Happy 4th to all. Just hanging at home today as my dad and his wife have been visiting and just headed out for BC. So now a nice quiet evening for two with a bottle of Doubleback and a couple ribeyes.

Spent all weekend either entertaining or being entertained. Had figured that today would be for yard work, but a pesky system has been just south of us for a few days. Didn't start a steady drizzle until 2 pm, so got 1/2 the lawn done, roto-tilled the second garden plot (finally, been so wet, but it was very dry) and my son started ripping apart an Amish boat with a sliding board that needs to go bye bye if I'm ever going to plant any grape vines (also have to nix the locust trees behind it and start digging out the stumps).

7-4-16_garden.jpg

7-4-16_boat-reclamation.jpg

Been on the phone with USAA for a while, over twenty charges on my credit card, $6K + so far since 5 PM. Those folks are awesome, all charges denied, reported to PD, new card in the mail tomorrow, here by Thursday. They suspect I got skimmed somewhere, suggested I buy some special protective sleeves for my cards, never heard of them, but I'll have some tomorrow for sure.

Most card companies are pretty good about this kind of thing. However, USAA rocks!
(ps: another argument for Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Android Pay, but assuming you were in Cozumel when this happened, they may not be there yet.)

Perfect weekend (other than the T-storms in the area today) for our Church's VBS program. I get to do "outside" activities with two other guys which always includes the liberal use of water, which as warm as it is helps us adults from expiring. Two of my younger ones are attending, and my oldest daughter is helping out, so 2/3 rds of the family is involved. Have about 30 kids who signed up which is pretty good (our Church average attendence is in the low 60's most weekends).

A side benefit is that it will keep me out of the wine until later this evening, which helps with the diet.

Edit: Storms totally missed us, yahoo! Boy I'm tired. Great group of kids!

Last edited:
Got the Aglianico bottled this morning. Then racked the Forza out of the barrel and put the WS Amarone in. Had about 3oz of Amarone left after filling the barrel and a top up bottle, so I'll have that with my lunch shortly. Tonight, I'll test the Forza to see if I want to add some Tannin Riche Extra before bottling.

Latest posts

Back