What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started on a road trip to my outage in Wilmington delaware and got as far as Harrisburg when the boss called and canceled the outage until at least Sunday. So, I turned the car around and headed back to the 'burg. Nothing like getting paid to drive around and do nothing....

But when I got home I stopped by the LHBS and picked up some super ferment and another container of Kmeta. My Pineapple - Pear Pinot Grigio is starting to ferment (after I added sugar to get the SG up to 1.090). I still have some Skeeter Pee that is stuck at 1.040 that I put back into buckets and added new yeast and energizer to get it going....

Cout out of work at 1:00 this afternoon. Racked 11 gallon of Noble Muscadine off the heavy lees, 4 gallons of Carlos Muscadine, 12 gallons of Concord, 13 gallons of Niagra and put y 6 gallons of Chambourcin into carboys. Cleaned between each racking to reuse carboys. Hoping to hit the cellar again soon to rack and stabilize 15 gallons of Elderberry.

Thinking of getting another case of gallon jugs tomorrow on the way into work along with another hydrometer so I still have 3. Was cleaning the last one a few weeks ago and squeezed too tight when drying and broke it in my hand.

I ended up racking the 15 gallons of elderberry as well.

Last edited:
Contemplating taking steps that all have to happen in lock-step because i lack empty space right now

1- Rack 3 gallons of apple, 2 gallons of pear, into a primary (i really have no room)
2- Degas the Riesling so it'll show some characteristics in 72hrs
3- Rack equal amounts of both Riesling batches into 1 gallons
3- Combine the leftovers of the Riesling into 1-of-2 5-gallon carboys
4- Rack Apple-Pear into other 5-gallon
5- K-meta the less-than-half-full-5-gallon of Riesling so it doesnt oxidize after being degassed
6- Wait 72hrs, smell/taste 1-gallons of Riesling
7- "Blend"

But do i really wanna do this all before i gotta deal with screaming kids in costumes? :)

Muscat, Cab Merlot and Petit Syrah...

And I'll try to put in a trip to Buffalo to be able to stop in Erie and get some more Stueben and Cayuga and maybe some Freedonia...

Just got done cutting down and up 3 trees that fell in my my parents yard from the storm and debrushing them after work. I can fit almost 1/2 cord in the trunk of my car without it dragging arse either. Pretty beat so good night!

Kelman bottles on the way home today to see if 20 cases will fit in the Ford Fusion. I REALLY need to bottle to free up some carboys....

Kelman bottles on the way home today to see if 20 cases will fit in the Ford Fusion. I REALLY need to bottle to free up some carboys....

Let me know if you need me to pick up for you. Can probably do so on Tuesday. I'm off work and can deliver to your house in afternoon.

Last night I racked the Fredonia off any remaining heacy sediment from the initial transfer into carboy and also transferred my Catawba from the fermentation bucket to the carboy. It's looking to be clearing about 1/3 of the way dow the carboy now. Sampled some of the fredonia and also the elderberry. Wow is about all I can say. Both will be great tasting when done. I have 15 gallons of Elderberry and only 3 gallons of water was added in the making of it. The rest was either from 9 1/2 gallons of steamed juice or the batch that was made with the remaining skins. I can't wait to give it a try. May back sweeten some today and see how it is.

I took the pears out of the freezer last night. Hoping they will be thawed enough tomorrow to press. I sprinkled them with citric acid and covered with a damp towel to prevent browning while in the process of thawing. Have a gallon ziplock of peaches in the freezer that will be pressed with the 67 lbs of pears.

Doug, be in no hurry with the Fredonia. It is very full bodied and heavy in solids. The color is magnificent. It will take plenty of rackings and cold stabilization and filtering.

I only used 25% in a batch of wine after a year of aging and I'm dumping the bottles back into carboys due to sediment. I even filtered with a .45 filter. The flavor and color though are awesome.

Started my first En Primeur kit today - Chilean Merlot.

The only thing I could complain about is that the box is too tall, I had a hard time getting the spout into the cutout on the box, and even harder time getting it to stay there because the whole weight of the bag was on it. If the box were an inch or so shorter it would have worked out better. Ended up spilling some on the floor, luckily it was wood and I cleaned it up quickly.

I like the dried grape skins, very easy to use. As much as I like the wet skin packs, getting them into the mesh bag is always nerve wracking.

Headed out to a scholarship benefit auction for the largest and fastest growing Medical school in the country that I donated some wine to. $150 a plate but I was invited to go as there guest.

I worked in my wine cellar about all day, Brewed a batch of American Brown Ale, Racked my Apple-Jalapeno wine and my Garlic wine. The just cleaned everything up. I am running out of room with 31 full carboys and 2 homebrew batches in primary.

1103121655.jpg

1103121656.jpg

Felled, cut, split, and stacked wood all day due to "Sandy" at my parents house and lugged 2 car loads to my house today. Yes I said car loads! LOL, Gotta make due with what you have. Also went on craiglist and answered a few posts for people with free firewood that need it removed. I help them by cutting it all and lugging it away from their yard and I get free firewood. Man I wish I had a truck or money to get 1!

I help them by cutting it all and lugging it away from their yard and I get free firewood. Man I wish I had a truck or money to get 1!

Maybe you could start selling firewood to get some truck money. :D

Hokapsig - How are the prices for buckets straight from the source? I didn't know that they still had Juice available....hmmmmm...7.5 hrs from here...

Worked my first day at the LHBS today, a lot of fun, learned a bunch, not too shabby for a job, got to start a batch of Sauvignon Blanc, and got to sample wine all day...works for me...lol

I worked in my wine cellar about all day, Brewed a batch of American Brown Ale, Racked my Apple-Jalapeno wine and my Garlic wine. The just cleaned everything up. I am running out of room with 31 full carboys and 2 homebrew batches in primary.

Dang Phil, are you trying to compete against me. When are you headed for Florida? I was just thinking maybe Julie, Terry and I might have to pay a visit to your wine cellar while you're gone. :)

I love looking at all the different colors when the carboys are lined up. Some are clear and some aren't. And having active fermentations through out really makes for quite a site.

Not competing Dan, Just obsessing! I will be heading to Florida at the end of December. (three months late!) You are correct, I really enjoy looking and sampling the progress. You are welcome to visit the wine cellar any time, heck I will give you a key!

Back