What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julie, I should be home for Mother's Day and I am avoiding Chicago at all costs (I'm west of Chicago). I'm checking Craigslist all the way home, so looking at South Bend, Ft. Wayne, Toledo, Sandusky, Cleveland, Youngstown and Pitt. so far, nothing but used $35 carboys. How disappointing....

Congratulations on being the 8000th post on the 800th page of this thread. Thank you Tom for starting it.

Might as well make it 8001!

Racked the fines off my CC Showcase Grüner Veltliner tonight. This guy took 6 weeks to clear. The 3P's worked once again like a charm!

This could be one of the Wedding Whites served at our oldest daughters wedding in late August........

More details to follow!

That's about his long my Gruner took. But um amazed at his clear it got. Ill probably bottle it kn a other 3 months. I'm love this wine....it's becoming one of my favorite whites!

So it's finally warming up in the basement, so I'm starting my fermentation again! Today I pulled my mangos out of the freezer, bought some peaches and am going to get a 3 gallon batch of peach mango going tomorrow, as well as a 3 gallon batch of blueberry! I got a call from my LHBS Wednesday saying that the shipment of grapes was running late, that they wouldn't be in until the 2nd or 3rd week of May, so I have to have something to keep me occupied! :)

Got home super late tuesday night... actually since it was after midnight ill call it wed morning. Had a great road trip!! Was able to meet our very own Seth and his girlfirend at UofT as we passed through the area. Stopped at a vinyard and drank the BEST PORT EVERRRRRRRR (bought 4 bottles, would have gotten more but Im poor LOL) Winery was called Purple Toad. I think it was in Kansas.... but Ill have to look at the label... I meet some wonderful people at the wedding. Beautiful weather that day. Trip home was good as well. Was able to meet up with an old school buddy in Indiana... maybe it was illinois.... where is Louisviille??? We also had a 4 hour detour in St. Louis.... LOL!!!

Was kinda worried that my friend n I would not be friends at the end of the trip, but we both got along wonderfully, and are even closer now if that was even possible! LOL!

Got home and back to reality, the separation is now visible on FB.... At least we didnt fight at Kylies ball game last night, we actually had some fun so that was nice!

Home from Chicagp. I was able to visit Al Capone's grave and made the drive in 8 hours. The Luva Bella wines are almost done bubbling to dry. Almost time to stabilize and sorbate. Maybe some bottling tomorrow, being that the bottler is home from college. Time to start a WE Luna Rosa...

Eee Gads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just cleaned 20 1/5# of elderberries for a 5 gallon batch and I still have more elderberries in the freezer plus I found more pears and I still have my son's freezer full of apples. I have 14 5g, 4 6g adn 4 3g and a crap load of 1 gallon carboys and truely believed that was enough carboys but now I'm wondering. :slp Cuz at the moment I only have 2 free and that will be for the elderberry and blush

Just celebrated our granddaughters First Communion. What a beautiful celebration.

Today... Renos.. Followed by a nap.. Followed by starting 2 kits.. A replacement kit that was "soapy" upon their analyze.. One prob being, I don't use soap.. And as starting a Glad Hatter kit.. Currently I have 120 bottles on the go in my basement.. It could be a good summer LoL

Hopefully bottling 8 carboys today. Wine is ready to go and bottles sat out. Now to go sanitize them all and get set up. Designed the labels last night and need to print then out yet.

Just got home after an approximate 500 mile trip from Boston down to Baltimore with a pit stop at Wade's to pick up a wine kit plus a bonus couple bottles of his best! I can't wait to try it! Thanks again!

Golfing & relaxing at the beach Oak Island N. C. with a group of friends. One friend rents a large home right on the ocean for the month of May every year! May try to fish from the pier tomorrow......

:fsh :dg
Al

Golfing & relaxing at the beach Oak Island N. C. with a group of friends. One friend rents a large home right on the ocean for the month of May every year! May try to fish from the pier tomorrow......

:fsh :dg
Al

Sounds like fun, Al. I have a good friend who lives in Southport.

I tried out my vacuum pump this weekend and have one question; when you "vacuum" rack, does that vacuum action create a vigorous action in the receiving carboy? Maybe that is the degassing taking place?
Since I'm new to using the pump, I thought I'd ask you guys. I seem to have my hoses connected correctly, suction from the receiving carboy with the distribution tube running down to the bottom of said carboy. The racking cane is in the supplying carboy. Come to think of it, I think I had a cap over the supplying inlet on the orange two tube cap, keeping air from filling in that carboy as the wine was being pulled out of it, so I may have been creating somewhat of a suction in the supplying carboy as well. That vigorous action I was seeing might have been caused from the vacuum having to work too hard to suck it into the receiving CB.

You have to have a seal/vacuum all the way back to the supply carboy otherwise it would just suck air and you would get no transfer of wine to the receiving carboy.

Come to think of it, I think I had a cap over the supplying inlet on the orange two tube cap, keeping air from filling in that carboy as the wine was being pulled out of it, so I may have been creating somewhat of a suction in the supplying carboy as well. That vigorous action I was seeing might have been caused from the vacuum having to work too hard to suck it into the receiving CB.

just racked my berry blend-blueberry pom from primary to secondary, and waiting for my niagara f-pack to cool down before adding it to my niagara batch and then get it ready for a little bit of short term bulk aging before bottling....

You have to have a seal/vacuum all the way back to the supply carboy otherwise it would just suck air and you would get no transfer of wine to the receiving carboy.

Thanks Mike. I may have miscommunicated my question. I have a vacuum all the way back to the full carboy. It's the full carboy that I'm wondering about. Do you leave the little extra opening so air can fill the carboy as the wine leaves it?

And while you are pulling the wine into the new carboy, will it churn vigorously while filling it?

Started a 2 and 3 gallon batch of chocolate cherry and a 6 gallon batch of Luna Rosa. I'm going to see if the guy on Route 8 will sell me some raw cherry juice for wine and adding to the Choc Cherry.

Latest posts

Back