What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready for the Womens Club plant sale and town wide yard sale

Today I tried to make some room in my winemaking area. All of my carboys were full and i needed to start bottling. So I bottled 28 bottles of Riesling from a California Juice bucket. 25 bottles of Skeeter Pee (my best one yet), 60 bottles of Elderberry and 25 bottles of Elderberry Blush. Tomorrow I will tackle the 24 gallons of Cabernet-Merlot, 6 Gallons of Zinfandel, 6 Gallons of Shiraz, 6 gallons of White Merlot and 5 gallons of English Barley wine Ale.
That should free up a few carboys and should about run out my bottle supply.

Very busy! Where do you purchase your bottles, and do you de-gas prior to bottling? Thanks!
Yes I de-gas before bottling. I have a vacuum pump and use it to splash rack to another carboy. It de-gasses very well. I buy my bottles from my local Home Brew shop, Windy Hill wine in Meadville PA. and of course have all of my friends saving thier bottles. Today 6 cases of bottles were recycled. the rest were new.
Phil

Yes I de-gas before bottling. I have a vacuum pump and use it to splash rack to another carboy. It de-gasses very well. I buy my bottles from my local Home Brew shop, Windy Hill wine in Meadville PA. and of course have all of my friends saving thier bottles. Today 6 cases of bottles were recycled. the rest were new.
Phil
Windy Hill rocks! Tell Rich I said hi!

Windy Hill rocks! Tell Rich I said hi!
i will do that. Rich is a great guy and a great resource. He is also competitive with any internet site and I like to spend my money with someone that i know and someone that is a small business man as i am.

Relaxing today after returning from a 10 day trip to London, UK. Didn't see much in way of wine there, except for the great prices on European wines in the small wine shops. Of historical interest was Henry VIII's wine cellar at Hampton Court Palace and the famous wine fountain at Hampton Court (although it is not clear to me whether it actually ever functioned as a wine fountain). I will post pics as soon as I get them sorted out.

another day of work, and then probably another trip to the gym....hoping to get the blueberry-pom/berry blend that i was supposed to start yesterday, started today.....lol...

Trying to finish putting up my 12x12 screen room. the top canvas needs alot more streching.

the company is getting thier money's worth out of me. After 6 eleven hour days in Bethlehem, driving home to the burgh, then out to Chicago for the week. Hoping to get home on Saturday to see my wines and the family, then off to DC for Sunday for work. Haven't had a day off since Easter and won't until the day before Mother's day...

I need a day off....

I started a one gallon primary of some strawberry wine made from two jars of strawberry jam from Krogers plus a cup of sugar. I prefer using good strawberries but couldn't find any that had a real good taste so I went with the jam. I'm still waiting on my 5 gallons of froo froo wine to finish so I can bottle it. It's been on secondary ferm for since November! It should be quite strong when its done, just the way I like it!

No poem was ever written by a drinker of water
Homer, Greek epic poet, (Eighth Century BC)

Last edited:
Close, but no Cigar. But I did get to the Brewworks. A very tasty Cobb salad was had, but alas, no fermented beverages due to the boss present...

Now in Chicago and searching Craigslist for any wine making goodies...

Close, but no Cigar. But I did get to the Brewworks. A very tasty Cobb salad was had, but alas, no fermented beverages due to the boss present...

Now in Chicago and searching Craigslist for any wine making goodies...

roflmao, way to go, hokapsig, when you are not home always look for wine stuff. Are you by chance going to be home sometime in the middle of May? I want to head back over to Luva Bella's for another bucket

Julie call ahead. They are running out quickly from what I understand.

thanks, I'll do that tomorrow and see if I can't reserve at least one bucket, I need another reisling. I know I can get it in the fall but I have a huge list for fall and probably won't have a carboy for another reisling.

LMAO Julie this came in the email 2 minutes after my last post;
"
Bello Chilean Juice:

We are now working off anextra list since the last shipment is this Thursday. The extras are goingvery fast. The next time we will be getting juice is end of Augustand it will be from California. "

Hokupsig, go to the Brennan website. They have a warehouse in Chicago and have some frozen must available. Their not cheap but they are good. They ha e some Gruner Velltliner I would love to get! !!!!!

Julie, I should be home for Mother's Day and I am avoiding Chicago at all costs (I'm west of Chicago). I'm checking Craigslist all the way home, so looking at South Bend, Ft. Wayne, Toledo, Sandusky, Cleveland, Youngstown and Pitt. so far, nothing but used $35 carboys. How disappointing....

Latest posts

Back