What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cleaned and removed labels from a couple of cases of empties and I put together a rack I bought. Now I have storage for a couple hundred more bottles. :h:db:tz

Not sure wine can be completly frozen.

Looked at a couple sites that suggest the water will turn to slush, and the alcohol will freeze at -114 degrees. Seems the slush will happen somewhere between 20-25 degrees F for 12% alcohol.

I'm going to leave it in the snow bank for a week or so and see what happens.

You don't need -114 degrees celcius. It all depends on ratio of ethanol alcohol to water/sugar etc. If you had pure, 100% alcohol then yes, it would freeze at -114 degrees celcius. However, wine has a low alcohol to water ratio and a quick search online to various websites gives an average of -7 degrees celcius to freeze wine. -7 Celcius...give or take a degree or so either side, is all you need for a frozen solid wine.

Time to plant!

My first batch of Eldberberry is coming along sooooo well that I'm now preparing places to plant 75 elderberry seedlings.

The batch isn't finished yet, but it is awesome enough already, and this is the time of year - so in they go!

I also picked up 6 2-year-old Heritage raspberry plants (red), so I'm preparing a place for them as well.

In a couple of years I'm hoping to have enough harvest to make significant quantities of elderberry/raspberry.

Hopefully I'll need to spring for larger carboys. Or maybe a 10 gal primary to fill 3 3g + a 1g :)

Maybe I should get the bird netting first ....

I hear ya with the elderberry,Im going to plant some this year or next also due to my batch!

Watched my raspberry honey wine fizz and then todays other project was roasting about 1 pound of Indonisian Sumatra coffee beans.

Have you made the raspberry melomel before? If so, how is it?

I have access to very inexpensive, local honey (I'm planting 3 ac of buckwheat in exchange for 50-60# of honey this year).

I've been thinking of things to use the raspberries with and I hadn't thought of honey. Sounds great!!

My first batch of raspberry honey hops is in the secondary now so I do not know how it will turn out but I have high hopes it will be good. I had about 15 lbs of raspberries from my late summer crop and froze them, which led to wine making. The hops were also grown and froze just as practice for beer making sometime in the future and ended up in the wine.

Finished that job and made $600! They now want me to do some more work! Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Well we atleast got the raspberry white zinfandel bottled .It was so nice today we had a BBQ for supper just a little spring fever :h

Shifting my cider into secondaries today.. yay.. finally have a decent amount of stuff fermenting again..

Still recovering from a long trip. I did get the bike out for about 3 hours yesterday. Can't wait for warm weather.

Hi Doug,

How did your trip go, did you get to take your son out for dinner?

Hi Doug,

How did your trip go, did you get to take your son out for dinner?

Julie,

The trip was extremely long but we did get to see Joshua and that was very important to me. We didn't go out to dinner because we were exhausted but we did order Pizza and he was allowed off base over night. He will leave Thursday for Maine, then Germany and then onto Afghanistan. It will be another long 7-8 months for me and the rest of the family with limited contact. He will have internet access on the base where he is located so I'll be setting up a skype account soon to communicate with him.

I'm already looking forward to October when he comes home.

I've been house hunting today. Exhausting!
I'll spend this evening racking and bottling I think.

Racked my Red Zinfandel to secondary today. Recovering from a cold though. I'm down for the count today. No energy left at all.

Just filled / kegged 2 cornies with my Yuengling clone

When I was in college Yuengling was a Pennsylvania-only beer. They didn't have distribution outside the state. You can walk into any bar in Scranton and ask for a Lager and you'll get a Yuengling without fail. Good stuff.

I learned today you need headspace in carboy to use a mix/stir. :(

Mud, did you get the dreaded volcano?
CopyofVolcano.jpg

what r you doing today

i picked up a chocolate rasberry port kit today.plan to start it tomorrow.hope it is as good as everybody says it is.

[I've done the volcano thing. Not fun at all.

I may have said OH PIDDLE, but probably something stronger.

Back