What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a good trip Doug. Are you taking the family with you?

Only family going will be my oldest son. If I find out for sure that we will see Josh, my 17 y/o daughter may go also. A quick trip like this would drive my wife nuts plus the 3 y/o would be absolutely miserable.

I did speak with Josh last night and as of now it's tentative he will be allowed off base or at least he will be allowed visitors on base....

Today I'm starting on some decorating. A small room is to be completely transformed.

At home. Resting and staying warm and dry. It's not very nice weather today.

Started a batch of Blackberry from jelly a couple days ago. Today I transfered it to my 15 gallon Mini Brew thingey.

This is the 3rd batch in it. Neat. I like it.

Don't hold a full 15 gallons though. About 13 leaving some head space.

Oh well it is bubbling nicely :h

Happily sipping in a RJS Pinot Noir that we bottled in August of 2008. MMMMMMMmmmmmMMMMMM.

18 months in the bottle, too bad this is about it.

Very nice.

I finished decorating the room by having my first ever go with a drill to put a curtain pole up. I was really proud of myself.

I finished decorating the room by having my first ever go with a drill to put a curtain pole up. I was really proud of myself.

Hi Leanne,

Ok now that you know how to use a drill, go out and buy the whip attachment so you can now degass your wine! :db

I designed some tires, edited some wedding photos, and drank half a bottle of chianti made from a cheap 5L kit... endurance

I am not working today, WooHoo!!! :db

Lucky you....I'm off too. My day is all planned out

FD Physical in am
Lunch with wife
Pick up car hauler in Houston Pa
Home to pack
check fluids etc in truck
leave for SC around 5:30 this evening
arrive sc 7:30 tomorrow
get car and motorcycle
drive 6 more hours to Cherry Point nc
See son, have dinner, take son back to base hit the hotel and sleep til Sunday.
Hopefully be back home by 7:30 Sunday nioght

Mike's son lives in SC about 30 minutes south of Charlotte, NC. We are headed down there for Easter. The whole family goes except for my oldest, Jason, who works in South Korea. Having a child out of the country is tough and I hate it and miss him horribly, but having a child going out of the country and going into a hostile enviroment is tougher.

Starting tonight, my wife and I are hosting her son and his 3 children ages 4, 5 and six. It'll be the first time I've seen them in a couple of years as they don't live in the same state as we do.

It'll be grand baby fest in the green mountains. I'm gonna need some wine.

Working today but it's an easy one. Going to play in my wine room later. Then dinner with friends. A nice day.

sonw bank

Read wine can be improved by freezing so I took a small sample from a five gallon carboy and burried the carboy in a snow bank to see what would happen.

Don't lack for snow banks around here.

Boyd, are you trying to freeze the wine or cold stabilize it? These are two different things. Cold stabilizing will remove tartaric acids (spelling?) Freezing red wine I understand helps age it quicker and also enhances the flavor. I would try to freeze a bottle with enough air space in the bottle to prevent it from breaking the. It may not be cold enough outside to do this. I am also interested in this process and the results. If you check Luc's blog he had a nice article about this.

Trying to see what changes if any happen. Wine is about 5 months old and I kept a small sample for comparison.

I have it burried in a snow bank and although snow is below freezing it is also a fair insulater so temps should be fairly stable. The alcohol content will hopefully act as anitfreeze.

Back when I worked construction I have pushed off snow and dug with a small backhoe at -25.

I got the idea form a post by Luc.

Doubt it will cold stabilize as the is only about 5 lbs of wild grapes in it.

Last edited:
Back