WineXpert What is your longest aged kit wine in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David219

Reaction score
I am sitting here enjoying a 2011 WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cab...the Estate Series, prior to the current Eclipse line. It's good...more nose than I usually get with kit wines. Mine always seem a bit deficient in that area. Minimal browning.

I also have a couple bottles of 2010 LE Primitivo and 2010 LE Shiraz/Viognier (bottled in 2011). They all see to be holding their own pretty well to this point. My wine cellar is in a dark, unfinished area of my basement that remains a fairly constant "Midwestern basement" temperature. So my oldest wines are now just a tick over 5years old.

Anyone else have any aging stories...good or bad?

Oldest at the moment is an Eclipse cab from Feb. 2013. We only have five bottles that are over 3 years old, but well over 100 that are over 2 years old, and over 400 that are over 1 year old, so we'll have some hitting the five year mark in a few years.

April 2012 CC Showcase Old Vine Zin. Next is an Aug 2012 CC LR Red Mountain Trio.

Sept. 2012 W.E. V.D.V. Reisling and Sept. 2012 V.D.V. Merlot. A couple bottles each left from what I made for my daughters wedding. Bakervinyard

2013 RJS Old Vine Zin. 4 bottles left.

Quite an impressive list so far. A large number from 2012 and older shows we have plenty of members with patience.

My oldest is a MM Renaissance Amarone from 2011. I only have a couple bottles left and I'm planning a 5 yr vertical Amarone tasting around the holidays. Should be fun.

2013 RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan. I have 2 bottles left. I just wish I had a real cellar or even a basement.

My oldest bottle in the basement is a 2015 WE Enigma. I went a little off the rails tweaking it, so the end product was a disappointment. But, it’s actually turned the corner and has some decent character to it now. I used half a case of it making sangria over the summer. Huge hit.

2014 WE Lodi Cab Sauv. This wine has never really been that exciting to me, even at year 4.

Back