Vacuum asperators

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
I am waiting on FED EX today to bring me my Ebay Vacuum pump.

Hope to be up and racking by tomorrow morning. YEA!!!

What is that sound????
Why is VACUUM MAN!!! able to rack tall carboys in a single bould!!!!
smiley4.gif

having the pump now and understanding how to move wine from one place to the other...... I have to ask..... can you filter the wine while you are in the process of racking from one carboy to the other and thereby save an additional step or won't the system filter well enough to allow this?

Using the Schuco 130 pump, but currently only have the vinbrite gravity filter.

Does it help to run wine through a water filter then try polishing it with the vinbrite filter or would the wine still require a standing,(clearing), period after it is filtered this way?

Always looking for a better way to complete this processes....
smiley4.gif

if only there was a way to help the waiting after all is done and you want so bad to taste the final aged product... this "sport" is just sooooo unfair
smiley2.gif

you can insert a Whole house filter in between the 2 carboys and filter it to the point where you dont have to use another filter at all, just make sure that the wine is already clear or you can use a rough filter and fine filter it later with your vinbrite. I dont think youll be ale to use the vinbrite with the vacuum pump though as it will put too much pressure on the this filter and probably tear it. I have the vinbrite also and will be not using i anymore soon. Ill probalby give it to a friend. I think appleman as a good source for filters for a whole house filter.

IT WORKS, IT WORK!!!!!!!

Here is some photos of the result.
WOW I had used a drill motor and wisk to degas this batch for an hour before hooking it up to the vacuum pump. Look at all these bubbles still in the carboy.

20091212_185225_Vacuum_gas_1.jpg

20091212_185606_Vacuum_gas_2.jpg

Those look like big bubbles in the pic which are probably not C02. Im sure you did get some more out though. Everything looks great! Wait till you rack and bottle, thats where the love comes in!

Scott, where did you get your "T" that's in the cap?

Wade, those are oak chips!! =)

Joan I got it at Lowes. It was the only one they had. I am going to try to fine a place that sells the Elbow I see in Wades photo.

I had to buy a copper one and I don't think it gets along very well with the sulfite solution I cleaned it with... :-( I'm going to go back and look for plastic.

If you guys can find brass fittings, they play a lot better with the sulfites and are a bit beefier than the plastic. Some feel brass isn't good for wine, but contact time is minimal so I don't see any problem with it.

Joan, I know that, I was talking about the actual bubbles!
smiley36.gif
Brew shops will have these T fittings for splitting beer and gas lines.

Just now found all the plastic elbows, tee's, fittings, hoses and clampsI need at my Ace Hardware store. Hope this helps anyone seaching for this. Check your local Ace.

To Wayne who said "I have one of the medical vacuum pumps</span>
that I got off of Ebay for $50 - used it for the first time to degass
and it worked great. I have a question for those who use this - after
15 minutes of running there was still a lot of gas coming out but the
unit seemed to be getting hot and it occurred to me that in its
intended use it was probably not ever used that long so I turned it off
-I was wondering how long people run these for? "

Wayne I am looking for a better pump set up, and i happenned to call FloTech to see if they had any solutions for me.....i thought of your question when i heard his reply to me

Flotech ha pumps that are stainless steel and oil free which is what i was looking for...however he made a very important point and it may apply to the pump you and others have purchased....the flo tech pumps require the water that flows thru their pumps to lubricate the seals and can even do so when the unit heats and turns the water to steam

he said this ...also..wine does NOT have the same lubricating powers and over time the unit will heat excessvely and ruin the seals

Al the volume of wine you want to pump will dictate your pump requirements. I believe a better choice for you would be a Surflo diaphram pump. They have a half inch threaded outlet and inlet. That won't handle a large volume but will move several gallons a minute gently. It won't vacuum degas, but if you are like me, the larger batches of grape wine don't need degassing like the carboys do.

I agree with Rich, and have tried desperately to beat that into the heads of people at Winepress when I kept hearing"why do you people degas your wine"! Kit wines need degassing and wines made from grapes that get pressed dont. I would imagine a white wine from grapes would though but most of them over there are making red wine. All I know is my pump hasnt gotten warm yet.

i have had pumps get too hot...and this is the one item i really need to upgrade on.....there is so much to consider including being gentle on the wine ....let alone speed

i have been all over the web today....all the pumps have some issue let alone the price issue.

Im sure with the volume you will be doing you are going to want to spend the extra$ and do it once and do it right. Thats my modo! Like a lawnmower or chainsaw, I wont buy a cheap o. My next door neighbor bought a cheap o after i bought my Husqu. 5 years ago. Hes had that 1 in the shop 2 years in a row and last year bought another new cheap o and at the end of the season whn we were cleaning up all the leaves with the baggers, his new 1 starting giving out.

Are you looking for a must pump or a transfer pump? The transfer pumps are much cheaper, but won't transfer the must full of seeds and skins. The must pumps transfer wine and the chunky stuff but cost a whole lot more. What about the air driven diaphram pumps? They only do juice, but will handle larger volumes and are moderately priced.

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Product.aspx-am_en-3883

thanks Rich....sites like Ingersoll is where i am at now...looked at macmaster-carr.com last nite and a few others

i am looking only for a transfer pump..i can get by without a must pump for now because i can handle using five gallon buckets from the primary into the press ( for another year anyway) :)

Latest posts

Back