Vacuum asperators

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, didn't figure it would, but thought I would ask. Guess I could pick up a couple of glass carboys for degassing.

I take it from some of the posts I've read that most people don't believe the paddle & drill removes enough of the C02. I generally don't see any signs of this except in one batch where there did appear to be a few fine bubbles at the top of glass of freshly poured wine.

Its not the degassing that sold me on it its the not having to lift a 6 gallon carboy off the floor anytmore when its full cause I have a bad back and now bottling a 6 gallon batch in 4 minutes instead of about 1/2 an hour using the Boun Vino auto filler attached!

I just got a vacuum pump and racked two batches on my bench yesterday. Not only does it transfer the wine at the same height, it also helps to degass during transfer.

Wade, would you give me some details on how the pump works while bottling. Never thought about using it for bottling. Is it just using the on/off switch when the bottle is full? 4 min. sound great!

Scott I'm not Wade but no you don't need to use the on/ off switch. That gives too much variability in filling height. The bottler is made so when a certain level is reached in the bottle, it flips to the off position. Move the thing to a new bottle, trip the thingy and it fills the next bottle. The fill height is adjustable that's why Wade said it took a few bottles to get the right fill height.

Thanks for the info.

I now know what I am goting to ask Santa for this Christmas!

Dont get the oiled unit from Valley Vintner!!!!! They do sell an oiless unit now but you can get 1 of these off of Ebay cheaper. They dont have to be brand new as nothing touches your wine exept the racking hoses which you probably already have. Rich(appleman) is actually the 1 who started this madness and we thank him. Im not sure but Tim Vandergrift(technical advisor from W.E.) may be the 1 who got all this in motion after an article in Wine Maker Mag where he bought a used unit from a Morgue and used it.

I have one of the medical vacuum pumps that I got off of Ebay for $50 - used it for the first time to degass and it worked great. I have a question for those who use this - after 15 minutes of running there was still a lot of gas coming out but the unit seemed to be getting hot and it occurred to me that in its intended use it was probably not ever used that long so I turned it off -I was wondering how long people run these for?

I only buy new. This way I know it will have a warranty if something is wrong. One time I bought something that was used that was off on e-bay. When I got the thing it didn't work and the seller wont give my money back. Never again that I will buy something is used. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!!

I can certainly understand that "once burned, twice shy " thinking.

If it needs more degassing, simply give it another go at a later time after it cools off. I have run mine almost continously for most of the day before when I had <STRIKE>40 - 50 </STRIKE>a lot of carboys to transfer. Just because it pulls bubbles doesn't mean it has gas in it. You could just be pulling bubbles. The small bubbles are gas- the bigger ones are just air bubbles.

I agree with appleman. You have to watch for the size bubbles being released. The smaller ones in the beginning are C02 and the bigger are just air being drawn through your wine. I too can run my vacuum pump very long with no heat but it probably depends on how you are using it. When Im degassing a wine I dont do the same as others. I pull a strong vacuum and then shut it off while holding that pressure. Not sure if yours will do this but with mine I get it up to around 18" of vacuum and then shut it off and turn the knob all the way down fast to the point where the knob wont go anymore, this stops all air from going in or out. If it drops very far Ill do it again until it will hold a good vacuum. That how I determine if its degassed when it will hold a vacuum of around 16-18" for 1/2 an hour.

This has probably already been answered but what size tubing do you need to use with an Invacare Aspirator?

Thats the unit that Rich and Gaudet have I believe. If any were used then these fittings could have been replaced changing that size so it would be better to just unscrew that fitting and bring it to Home Depot or your local hardware store or even a brew shop. You might want to ask more specifically at what point on the machine cause you will need a few hoses most likely. Also ask wether its inside diameter or outside. I have 2 different sizes on mine and then the usual racking hoses from carboy to carboy.

I bought it new and it has connecting tubing and a canister with it. I have a bunch of different sized tubing so I should be okay. As you said I can always buy connectors if I need them. I was just curious.

Latest posts

Back