Vacuum asperators

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the Surflo diaphragm pump at 3 gpm would be too slow? It is a very cost effective pump at under a hundred bucks and pumps 150 to 200 gallons per hour gently. That is faster than the vacuum pumps and you can get it battery or AC.They have Viton seals and will pump chemicals, so wine is no problem. Morewine sells that one along with the faster more (lots more) expensive models.

well, i called Ingersoll, they pointed to me to a distributor Burt Processing who has pointed me towards a Masterflex IP series 950-3010 plus i have to buy the tubing....no clogs can occur in a pump like this unless its in the tube...diaphragm pumps can have the need to be disassembled

there are two catches..it ALSO is only 3 gallons p minute...not bad for carboys..but my 50 and 70 gallon aging vessels will take time and 15-20 minutes exposed to Oxygen...so i would need to find a way to minimize that...second issue..price...1500+ for the pump...100$+ for their food grade tubing that has the correct tensile strength for this pump and its a fifty foot roll

A simple screen in the Surflo eliminates clogs also. If you draw off the bottom of the tank through an inlet, you won't be exposed to air. You can also dump some argon or nitrogen on the wine and it will settle along with the wine as you pump it. If you want larger tubing than you can get at your local home brew shop, find a dairy supply truck or store. They carry bulk food grade tubing in a couple sizes.

Don't you just hate to see a really neat wine making setup??
smiley36.gif

Al, you don't really need to worry about the tensile strength of the tubing. That only becomes a factor if you are pumping into pressure. Since you will be pumping into an open vessel against only atmospheric pressure standard racking tubing is sufficient. While the wine is in the inlet tubing/pump/outlet tubing it is not exposed to air, so the time of pumping is not a factor.

Thanks Peter...not seeing the pump the fellow was trying to sell me, i did not know how fragile it is.....i guess i am having a problem committing to his 1500+ price for 3 gallons a minute anyway...but i did like that it was an ip pump..no moving parts touched the wine....and 3 gallons p/ min is not the worst thing in the world

i gotta do something...had my fist wine spill last night in the winery...watched dollars flow....that was a big ouch!

Oh no! I think that qualifies as alcohol abuse too...

Seriously though - ouch is right. So sorry that happened.
smiley19.gif

thanks Wade...believe it or not i called them yesterday...each time no one answered..i called the NY branch......this pump thing has me a bit discombobulated.....i have had a couple of pumps and was unhappy w each...so i don't want to make a mistake this time

i am TEMPTED to get a sump pump and drop into the tanks
smiley19.gif

i was looking online at a Marchisio system and the google search said George had it...bit it was not there when i went to the site

none from online....just local food grade pumps found at local non wine related places.....had issues w overheating and terrible time staying primed..at some point you give up and start using buckets and pitchers......or just pouring from carboys....and my all time favorite...using a bottle filler tilted to every way but hell ;) and then go drink some wine ( the filler always clogs )

oh..my second favorite thing is when you just give up....kick the carboy or barrel..and go drink some wine (problem is you get nothing done)

:)

I know I am beating a dog to death here but take some tubing and fit a screen on the end to filter seeds out. Attach that to a male fitting stuck into the inlet of a Surflo 3 gpm pump. Put a second male nipple on the outlet and attach some more tubing to that end. Put a racking cane on that end and place it in the receiving vessel. Turn the self priming diaphragm pump on and transfer to it. If you have a screen on the intake, the pump will not plug up. The hard part is finding a filtering intake screen, but they are out there at most hardware stores. I may have to rig mine up soon just to show you it really is very simple. Sometimes we look for a more elaborate fix than is needed.

I got a batch going and was going to bottle and I put a plastic wrap on the carboy with a rubber band and it started to inflated so I new I had to degass, I hadnt seen any activity in the air lock for a long time and figured it was degassed, but not so my wife has a vacuum thing for food bags so I rigged it up and HOLY COW it works just like its supposed to I never imagined there was sooooo much air in there I am awful I didnt just bottle and think I was good.Explosions inside the house are never good

Steve B said:
I got a batch going and was going to bottle and I put a plastic wrap on the carboy with a rubber band and it started to inflated so I new I had to degass, I hadnt seen any activity in the air lock for a long time and figured it was degassed, but not so my wife has a vacuum thing for food bags so I rigged it up and HOLY COW it works just like its supposed to I never imagined there was sooooo much air in there I am awful I didnt just bottle and think I was good.Explosions inside the house are never good

Yah, this is why I decided to go vacuum. I have a nice Argentine Malbec that when poured has some fine bubbles around the edge of the wine. I stirred this up well & even bulk aged it for a about 3 mo but still had gas problems. I anticipate no more of that noise.

Trapped gas inside of wine wont blow a cork or a bottle, it will just yield a fizzy wine.

Back